Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Big government, small government.

The corporates like big government because there's less politicians to win over to get laws passed.
When you keep it local the people tend to win out.

State government is big government to local city/town government.
Fed government is big government to state government.

It works at all levels.

The more concentrated the power/authority is the easier it is for big business to influence.
The key is to know where the lines should be drawn at each level of government.

IMHO the city should be able to determine their local laws and the state is wrong in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
“You cannot have a local bill that deals with either the environment, health or a nuisance,” Davis explained. “It’s going to have to be done with a statewide bill.”

Which is something the left has argued for forever. If this was a case of a statewide ban and a city would place a vote to allow smoking on their beach, the left would complain.

What this shows is that government has simply got too big and cumbersome to work efficiently.
Exactly. This is a prime example as to why big government ideology that liberals support doesnt work.

Reminds me of me fighting my local township because I was doing work in my yard. They have an ordinance that you need a permit if your property is water front. Sure enough, they fought with me over a year until they were finally convinced that the township doesnt have jurisdiction because my property is a FEMA flood zone.

They finally had to call in FEMA who laughed in the townships face because I was making improvements to the property, (like planting trees and putting stones in the crick to reduce dirt from washing down stream)

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
the entire point is, republicans believe local governments know best. the local government determined that a smoking ban was necessary and the state intervened. That is not small government.
Exactly right! The Republicans and their base no longer believe that a consituency or majority rule counts. Like big babies that want a do-over when things don't go their way. Just look at the filibuster and its abuse.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Smokers have had all the practice they need in Junior High.

Or high school.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Exactly right! The Republicans and their base no longer believe that a consituency or majority rule counts. Like big babies that want a do-over when things don't go their way. Just look at the filibuster and its abuse.
Stop embarassing yourself.

THE TOWNSHIP DOES NOT OWN MOST OF THE PROPERTY IN QUESTION..

Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
IMHO the city should be able to determine their local laws and the state is wrong in this case.
They should but they don't. If someone wants to argue that control should be gave back to the local governments and then we can discuss the laws from there, I would be good with that.

Being that the laws don't allow the city to do this, state politicians have no other choice than to enforce the current laws.

People don't seem to understand that big government isn't always there to help you. The things you argue for one day comes back to bite you the next.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the city DOES NOT OWN THE PROPERTY below the high water mark and thus they cant write laws pertaining to property they dont own.

It would be dumb to write laws that limit smoking above the high water mark and then push all of the smokers closer to the water, given le rois positions that you cant enforce littering laws in the area.

This would mean cigarette butts will be left in the area the water come in, washing the butts out to sea..

yes, thats actually what these liberal kooks, who are so concerned about the environment, are asking for..

Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Stop embarassing yourself.

THE TOWNSHIP DOES NOT OWN MOST OF THE PROPERTY IN QUESTION..
(A) Wrightsville Beach is a town, not a township.

(B) Wrightsville Beach does not need to OWN land for it to fall under WB jurisdiction

(C) All of the property in question is under WB's jurisdiction.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You dont seem to understand the conservative argument to begin with. We want a small FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, and want people LOCALLY to govern themself. Who do you think you are to support legislation which affects people in another city on the other side of the country?

conservative logic FAIL.

a common conservative response to local rent control is to legislate it out of existance at the state level, thereby depriving local governments of that option.

specifically, when local rent controls are merely proposed, landlords run to the legislature to prohibit it, where conservatives are happy to accommodate their wishes.

detroit voters qualified a rent control proposal for the 1988 november ballot, and the legislature banned it so quickly that voters never had the opportunity to vote on it.

i consider rent control (capping prices) and zoning (capping supply and thereby boosting prices) opposite sides of the same regulatory coin, so prohibiting rent control while allowing zoning constitutes taking the side of property owners instead of maintaining a level playing field in the housing market..

Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
conservative logic FAIL.

a common conservative response to local rent control is to legislate it out of existance at the state level, thereby depriving local governments of that option.

specifically, when local rent controls are merely proposed, landlords run to the legislature to prohibit it, where conservatives are happy to accommodate their wishes.

detroit voters qualified a rent controol proposal for the 1988 november ballot, and the legislature banned it so quickly that voters never had the opportunity to vote on it.

i consider rent control (capping prices) and zoning (capping supply and thereby boosting prices) opposite sides of the same regulatory coin, so prohibiting rent control while allowing zoning constitutes taking the side of property owners instead of maintaining a level playing field in the housing market..
I'm sitting here wondering when Detroit became a good example to use for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies