Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you think most common people really care what happens to the environment? It's kind of saddening that most people are so involved in their own lives: their job, raising their family.etc, which is fine, but few actually think globally to try to halt climate change, deforestation, extinction. On one hand I don't blame us as we can often feel powerless, and corporations often seem so hard to stop. It just makes one cynical about everything, but I don't think we should stop doing what we can to make things better.

I do basic things like recycling, donating to conservative NGO's etc, and when I do have a house of my own I would like to rely on sustainable/renewable energy, but deep down I think we weren't to designed to think globally and with our current lifestyle the world we know it is doomed. At the very least it will be the end of civilisation.

My wife and I have no children and don't want any. We could care less what happens to the world after we die. Our mission it to get all we can before it all runs out.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:51 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Not trying to "outsmart" Mother Nature with disgusting pestisides and GMO's would be a start.

Ending war and the Billions of Gallons of gasoline used because of it should save us a few more years.
EXACTLY!!!

Uber-environMENTALists should:
Stop promoting electric cars as being green when they require 4x more carbon to produce and run.
Stop saying we need to save the forrests, while idly standing by as Monsanto and DuPont poison our fertile ground and wipe out natural crops.
Stop protesting BIG corporations on your ipads and iphones.
Stop protesting fossil fuels, only to climb in your car, drive home and flip on the heat or AC.

Stop being hypocrites; picking and choosing which things to be outraged about, only to contradict yourself in Target or the grocery store.

Any sane person should require these zealots walk their talk. They should be entirely off the grid, living in a cave in the desert, living off grubs and weeds. Then they will be credible, and out of sight where they belong.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Trimac, most of what you are saying is typical anti-human propaganda designed to make you feel like ****. It's no accident, either. "Climate change" is not an issue, never was, and never will. I'm much more concnered about industrial pollutants in our air and water, not CO2. Those are real environmental concerns, 75% of so-called environmental concerns are hot air or have some profit motive behind them, green energy being one of them.
Virtually all climate scientists believe global warming is happening. The way I see it, it's a doomsday prediction that's actually backed up by facts.

While there is a possibility global warming might not be as bad as expected or a volcano will cancel out some of its effects and save the day there is no debate in science anymore that fossil fuels are warming the planet. The debate is over.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
Everything is temporary, including our time on this planet. We've been on this planet long enough. I'm sure other species will appreciate our extinction much more than they appreciate our efforts to avoid it.
What will happen will happen, and preventing it would require a massive drop in our standard of living, and an enormous degree of international cooperation that's just not going to happen. Recycling is BS. Actually reducing emissions would require following an organic plant-based diet, stopping the use of electronics and the internet, traveling by foot or bike, and many other drastic measures which everyone would have to follow.

So yeah, enjoy what you can while you can, move to a place that won't get devastated by tornadoes or swallowed up by water, and stop caring. Because after you're dead, nothing matters to you anymore.
That's not true. If we had a campaign to install solar panels on every building and launched a project to improve electric cars and public transport not only would it greatly reduce our emissions, it would also fix our economy as well.

Unfortunately the almighty Free Market favors dirty energy.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I don't care enough to change my lifestyle. The UN says eating more insects will solve world hunger, but personally, I wouldn't switch to insects if it saved 3 billion lives.
We don't need to eat bugs, and organic is actually worse for the environment. We just need to eat less meat. We don't even need to stop eating meat. Meat on the weekends, holidays and as garnishment only during the week (like thin-sliced pork in rice) would make an enormous difference.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post

Live FREE or die.

What good is living free in a polluted hell of a planet?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:31 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What is it we're supposed to not do?
How far back do you want to go to 'save the earth'?
Remove every bit of civilization so we can return to a pre-human state?
The planet will adapt no matter what we do or don't do.
We may not, but the earth will.
Yeah, the planet will adapt by becoming uninhabitable for humans as a result of our abuse. Humans will die off, and then maybe over a few thousand years the earth can heal itself.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
What good is living free in a polluted hell of a planet?
I guess he means "free to die." Better to have the human race die off in a polluted, climate-disturbed, barren planet from which we have obliterated pretty well all other species, than to have any regulations or adapt to new technologies that might be perceived as robbing us of our freedom.

After all, relying on fossil fuels makes us all so free don'tcha know.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
That's not true. If we had a campaign to install solar panels on every building and launched a project to improve electric cars and public transport not only would it greatly reduce our emissions, it would also fix our economy as well.

The free market does not operate for common good. There is nothing sacrosanct about the market or even capitalism. We need to think outside the box.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 AM

291 posts, read 476,570 times
Quote:

That would be incredibly expensive, solar panels aren't a good idea everywhere, and public transport is most definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Remember most European countries have excellent public transport and are way greener than North America in may ways, and they still pollute way too much.
And you're still ignoring the fact that all other developed and major developing countries would have to do the same for there to be any meaningful difference, and that is not going to happen.
Even if we were to completely eliminate all emissions, it would take a loooooooong time for the effects of climate change to be reversed.

Just being realistic here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies