Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I am a bit confused about this article. I thought that the 'greenhouse' effect (which I learned about back in the 1960s) concerned the release of excessive CO2 on Earth, which is trapped within the Earth's atmosphere, hence causing the heating.

Yet this article is about how the Earth's atmosphere helps reflect back solar radiation, which is not the same as trapped CO2.

I guess I agree that if not for our atmosphere the solar flares would 'fry' us, so, in a sense, having said atmosphere does keep us 'cooler', but I don't see where this helps the trapped CO2.
Well, it sounds like another half truth masquerading as a debunking. The deflection of short-wave (ultriviolet) radiation is not the same as retention of long-wave (infrared) radiation. It is like rolling the windows up on a parked car. The interior heats up because short-wave radiation passes through the windows readily, but long-wave radiation not so much, hence heat accumulates.

Counterpoint here:

A misinterpreted claim about a NASA press release, CO2, solar flares, and the thermosphere is making the rounds | Watts Up With That?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is false information, try again.
No it isn't.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/p...d-in-1998.html

Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Once again, I'm sorry data and reality doesn't match up with your beliefs.

How about graph from a more recent study with longer timeline?

Quote:
Climate in northern Europe reconstructed for the past 2,000 years: Cooling trend calculated precisely for the first time

An international team including scientists from Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) has published a reconstruction of the climate in northern Europe over the last 2,000 years based on the information provided by tree-rings. Professor Dr. Jan Esper's group at the Institute of Geography at JGU used tree-ring density measurements from sub-fossil pine trees originating from Finnish Lapland to produce a reconstruction reaching back to 138 BC. In so doing, the researchers have been able for the first time to precisely demonstrate that the long-term trend over the past two millennia has been towards climatic cooling. "We found that previous estimates of historical temperatures during the Roman era and the Middle Ages were too low," says Esper. "Such findings are also significant with regard to climate policy, as they will influence the way today's climate changes are seen in context of historical warm periods." The new study has been published in the journal Nature Climate Change.
The blue is the actual data points, the white is smoothed line of the data points and the red is the overall trend.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The earth stopped heating 15 years ago.

Try again.
2010 was the hottest year in recorded history. That was 3 years ago. This is according to the GIS land and ocean measurements, Hadley satellite measurements, and UAH satellite measurements are all in agreement.
2005 was the second hottest, and that was 8 years ago.
1998 was the third hottest, and that was quite recent still.
9 of the 10 hottest years in recorded history have all happened since 1998.

And to top it off, the polar ice caps have shrunk every year--that's where that excess energy is going.

You cannot credibly say the earth stopped heating 15 years ago when people have posted evidence that contradicts that. This isn't ignorance on your part anymore. Now you're simply lying.

Your argument is about as factually heavy as sticking your fingers in your ears and going "nyah nyah nyah".

Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
2010 was the hottest year in recorded history. That was 3 years ago. This is according to the GIS land and ocean measurements, Hadley satellite measurements, and UAH satellite measurements are all in agreement.
2005 was the second hottest, and that was 8 years ago.
1998 was the third hottest, and that was quite recent still.
9 of the 10 hottest years in recorded history have all happened since 1998.

And to top it off, the polar ice caps have shrunk every year--that's where that excess energy is going.

You cannot credibly say the earth stopped heating 15 years ago when people have posted evidence that contradicts that. This isn't ignorance on your part anymore. Now you're simply lying.

Your argument is about as factually heavy as sticking your fingers in your ears and going "nyah nyah nyah".
Temps are dropping. Fact.

The antarctic ice has increased. Offsetting the Arctic. Fact

NYAH, NYAH

Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Interesting. I wonder how the "Science says that man's carbon emissions are causing Global Warming, and you MUST believe science" crowd will react?

You cherry pick a 1%'er and ignore the 99% and that deserves a reaction?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:59 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of FORTRAN View Post
Can you add specifics? You're not bandying about, "Just a theory LOL," so you've got my attention.
Goggle it. This isn't new and is common knowledge to anyone who has spent any amount of time or interest in reading about the IPCC and the issues of climate change.

Look for issues of grey literature and many other issues concerning the IPCC and credibility concerning the AR4.

I know that sounds inattentive to the discussion or like I am evading you, but that isn't the case. I just don't want to put a lot of effort into it with you if you are going to just dismiss it.

If you are honest about it, look here:

IPCC Grey Literature|Watts up with that?

IPCC Grey Literature| Climate Audit

First link is an easier site to read, while technical in discussions at times, it is more laymen friendly.

Second link is extremely technical, but... is more beneficial if you want to wade through to the point.

If you are new to the issue of climate science, this is a good place to start. I advise reading back on the various topics to get an understanding. The problems with the IPCC and climate science shenanigans has been going on nearly a decade now. There is a lot of info on the problems with the CAGW position.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Temps are dropping. Fact.

The antarctic ice has increased. Offsetting the Arctic. Fact

NYAH, NYAH
are these facts just in your mind, or do you have any reality to source?

I mean. . .the Artic is opening up new trade routes thanks to the melting caps. I don't think global warming is anchored on which areas you want to cherry pick.

and the temps seem up to me, at least according to Nasa. . .just wondering your source? Faux News?
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/719139main_2...MP_summary.pdf

Old 05-23-2013, 02:05 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How about graph from a more recent study with longer timeline?

The blue is the actual data points, the white is smoothed line of the data points and the red is the overall trend.
The two graphs from nasa I posted simply show how global temperatures have risen alongside with the rise of greenhouse gases. Global temperature and climate change are influenced by the amount of heat trapping gases in the atmosphere. If we continue to increase those gases, temperature will also increase. Just as the data in the graph shows.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Once again, believing that adding heat trapping gases to the atmosphere doesn't trap more heat doesn't refute the actual data of climate change science. You can believe what you want, but that doesn't somehow shift or bend reality toward your beliefs.
Talking to someone else? I didn't make any comments about that, I pointed out your failed attempt to politically attack while claiming science was something that it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies