Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 12:34 PM

1,347 posts, read 953,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
As a liberal, I am all about being "green". I love riding my bike, taking it to the grocery store, and using it for exercise and fun. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who hate my kind.

There are people who say there should be no bike lanes
There are people who say bicycles belong on the sidewalk and not on the road
There are people who say bicycles belong on the road and not on the sidewalk
There are people who say bicyclists should be fined for using the side walk
There are people who say bicyclists on the road should be hit by cars
There are people who say that bicyclists should either walk or drive unless there is a bicycle path

...Clearly a few people hate us, though some have legitimate reasons for that, like people not being able to stop at stop signs. So......What should a cyclist in this country ought to do?
I'm a conservative, and I think all bikes should be banned including the hot wheels little kids ride. They are clearly a waste of resources that could be inserted into the military industrial complex as bullets or tanks, and take up valuable space on the road that could be used for joggers or additional environmentally-polluting cars and trucks. Less bicycles means more people using gasoline, helping my friends in the oil industry and my oil stocks, and less road clutter.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If you are not doing that, then you might not be a liberal after all.
Perhaps, if self-described liberals aren't living down to your expectations, the definition might be flawed?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 PM

168 posts, read 335,514 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, according to you we are the minority.

I would have to say you are in the minority. I see more bikers go through stop signs and stop lights then those that stop. I have had a few instances where I have had to slam on my breaks at a green light because a cyclist has run a red light. This happens in the town that I am in and in the twin cities, where I have had to slam on my breaks for cyclists and seen more cyclists run red lights then stop at them.

I think that if cyclists want to be on the road then they should have license plates, have registration, and insurance, that and penalties for running red lights and stop signs to be more harsh for cyclists, have the penalties be the same as if a car or motorcycle had run the stop light or stop sign.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:19 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
I would have to say you are in the minority. I see more bikers go through stop signs and stop lights then those that stop. I have had a few instances where I have had to slam on my breaks at a green light because a cyclist has run a red light. This happens in the town that I am in and in the twin cities, where I have had to slam on my breaks for cyclists and seen more cyclists run red lights then stop at them.

I think that if cyclists want to be on the road then they should have license plates, have registration, and insurance, that and penalties for running red lights and stop signs to be more harsh for cyclists, have the penalties be the same as if a car or motorcycle had run the stop light or stop sign.
I have absolutely no problems for having license plates, registration, or tickets.

...However, I do have a question about what insurance should cover.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:19 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Boston, sorry, dont believe it for a second. Your perception may be that, but the reality Im sure, is nothing close to that.
In my city, cars slow me down and stop me regularly while they weave around and play yield games on the narrow streets. Yet, I have never felt the need to yell at them to get on the sidewalk as I patiently wait for them to slowly lumber to the next block they are going to clog up.
Why are cars clogging streets ok? but slowing for a bike, bad?

I don't care what you believe or not. I don't believe that cars slow you down on your bike. That may be your warped perception but nothing close to the actual reality. See how easy that is?

Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
So? That's not what the poster described.
I'm not buying it either. I live in the Northwest where biking is a popular form of transportation (and no, they're not "toys" for people who are "low of the totem pole"). I can't even recall the last time a bike caused a traffic issue. Keeping up with cars in downtown areas is a non-issue. There are dedicated bike lanes on higher speed roads. If anything, the bikes make traffic move faster because there are fewer cars clogging up the roads.

The only issue I commonly see on my morning/evening commute is people in giant SUVs and pickup trucks swerving across the bike lanes without looking.
We're already paying. It's called income taxes.

Or were under the mistaken fantasy that gas taxes and vehicle registration came anywhere close to paying for the roads?
Quote:
The only issue I commonly see on my morning/evening commute is people in giant SUVs and pickup trucks swerving across the bike lanes without looking

Yikers! Those darn giant SUVs and trucks! I'm sure you've never seen a Prius driving inconsiderately. IBTL.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Yikers! Those darn giant SUVs and trucks! I'm sure you've never seen a Prius driving inconsiderately. IBTL.
Actually I saw all sorts of cars driving poorly in my life. Everything from roadsters to station wagons to minivans to hybrid vehicles. I even saw a Lamborghini doing 5 over the speed limit.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:42 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
I have absolutely no problems for having license plates, registration, or tickets.

...However, I do have a question about what insurance should cover.
I also wonder whether little kids riding around on cul-de-sacs should also be forced to register and insure their bikes.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I also wonder whether little kids riding around on cul-de-sacs should also be forced to register and insure their bikes.
That's a legitimate concern. Unlike a car, people of all ages can ride a bike.

...And due to their sizes for each age, they each have a different maximum speed.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
There are people like me who stop at ever stop sign and stop light. We look the other way before cornering.

Unfortunately, according to you we are the minority.
Yes, you most certainly are. Especially in college towns.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies