Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Bikes are toys. Use them in playgrounds or on designated bike paths or side streets, but not on Blvds etc., IMHO. It is a hard call, and I am not absolutist on it, but bikes are not serious mode of transport for serious people. They cause too many problems, potential accidents, and take too much valuable roadway out of service, and guess what, bikes don't pay road tax, so it is a double bad thing. Want to ride on roads, buy a license plate, pay tax and then we can talk about it further.
so based on your logic, there should be no such thing as sidewalks, right?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Notice how the R.A.T. (Republican American Taliban) hate anything that is related to health, education and concern of stuff other than themselves ??? Everything that requires more thought process than finding a parking spot at the WAL*MART violates their second amendment and should be banned. The party of "less government" is always looking for new ways to intrude on people lives.

Ethical, cost efficient, leads to heathy lifestyle, freedom from thier gods, the arabs---Bicycle riders are everything a conserve is threatened by. Of course they hate them.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Notice how the R.A.T. (Republican American Taliban) hate anything that is related to health, education and concern of stuff other than themselves ??? Everything that requires more thought process than finding a parking spot at the WAL*MART violates their second amendment and should be banned. The party of "less government" is always looking for new ways to intrude on people lives.

Ethical, cost efficient, leads to heathy lifestyle, freedom from thier gods, the arabs---Bicycle riders are everything a conserve is threatened by. Of course they hate them.
Harrier here used his stolen bike and he was a conservative, so maybe not all of them are a lost cause.

...I agree, the car is a good mode for transportation for poor weather, for long distances, as a time saver, and for carrying around stuff.

...But for short trips I use my bike. It's cheaper, it's fun, and it's convenient.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Bikes are a viable option in big cities either, except for a very tiny class of people, most of whom aren't very high up the totem pole.
Tell that to anyone in Amsterdam or Copenhagen or Portland or San Francisco or Seattle or London or Tokyo or any other city where many smart, successful people commute by bike because it's simply the most efficient way to get around town.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Tell that to anyone in Amsterdam or Copenhagen or Portland or San Francisco or Seattle or London or Tokyo or any other city where many smart, successful people commute by bike because it's simply the most efficient way to get around town.
*Those cities are full of liberals though*

Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
I think that from what i've seen of america, the cities layouts are really not made for bikes, as the density is much too low, meaning a much too large portion have the daily need to transport themselves too far on a daily basis to be able to do it by bike.

If the bike is to be a serious means of transportation the cities need to be designed for it, distances need to be shorter and the biker needs means of crossing roads without crossing the paths of cars... this is costly, and extremely hard to change to an already existing city...

The town i live in right now has been inhabited since the 9th century, and been a town since the 13th century or so... which means a lot of narrow streets, alleys sharp corners etc which in turn means taking bike or horse is a lot more comfortable than taking the car, and the city has been continously designed for bikeriding since the beginning of the 20th century... there are bikelanes all over and even to the nearest other cities and towns...

It works because it's small, but the concept would fail completely in a larger city like stockholm not to mention a major metropolis like New York.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
Philadelphia has undergone an initiative to make the city bike-friendly and we have numerous bike lanes. I've yet to ride a bike in this city, but I know many that do and thoroughly enjoy it. It works here and many of these people are high on the "totem pole". Rossi never gave an actual reason why someone high on the totem pole cannot use a bike. Perception, perhaps? Robin did mention bikes being "toys". I hope it is not a case that a "professional" must blow a substantial amount of money on a car to make them look "serious". Even if this is not the case, the stance Rossi taking is extremely ridiculous.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:21 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
but that's just it, I am someone who is not high up on the totem pole. I go to class and the few moneys I make goes to schooling and rent.

My bike was a used bike for 25 dollars and it runs great.

A car on the other hand costs serious coin to learn how to drive, costs serious coin to buy ( thank cash for clunkers for that) and costs a lot of money to insure and operate.

For poor folks like me, the bike is a good and legitimate form of transport.

Why aren't bicycle riders worried about being creamed by motorized vehicles?

http://www.ta.org.br/site/Banco/7man...PIpuchertq.pdf

Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Philadelphia has undergone an initiative to make the city bike-friendly and we have numerous bike lanes. I've yet to ride a bike in this city, but I know many that do and thoroughly enjoy it. It works here and many of these people are high on the "totem pole". Rossi never gave an actual reason why someone high on the totem pole cannot use a bike. Perception, perhaps? Robin did mention bikes being "toys". I hope it is not a case that a "professional" must blow a substantial amount of money on a car to make them look "serious". Even if this is not the case, the stance Rossi taking is extremely ridiculous.
I'm fairly sure we had one of our highest ranked ministers of state(can't remember which) who used to take his bike to and from the riksdag(swedish senate+congress), a couple of miles every day....top of the totempole...

Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I'm rather surprised in this greedy, capitalistic country they haven't banned these "economy killers" called bicycles and bike lanes, and public buses!

If more people took to bikes/public buses for transportation, we'd become a 3rd world country even quicker than we already are!

A good part of our country economy revolves around cars! An average highway trooper writes out traffic fines to the tune of $250k a year. And the jobs dependent on car ownership/car accidents is absolutely staggering!

A conservative, in my mind, equates to doing anything to create/maintain jobs!

In L.A. it only took the Mayor to have a bicycle accident to get the ball moving for more bike lanes in L.A.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies