Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Why is a Government body even "praying" in the first place? What happened to seperation of "church & state"? Isn't this offensive to begin with? What if you are not a "Christian" or what if you are a "atheist"?
Well he's praying to the government, so...

You know some of you folks look towards Washington right before you go to bed and ask Washington for forgiveness and a PlayStation 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 01:24 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I'd love to see the counter-prayer but can't find prayers in the AZ House records
How can you pray for "repentance" for another person's prayer not being up to spec, anyway? Is God's aim so bad, you can't even run the risk of sitting next to the guy?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
How can you pray for "repentance" for another person's prayer not being up to spec, anyway? Is God's aim so bad, you can't even run the risk of sitting next to the guy?
God does have a pretty bad track record when it comes to murdering innocent people, so...

Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Absolutely insane, but what else do you expect from Arizona Republicans....

Old 05-27-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
God does have a pretty bad track record when it comes to murdering innocent people, so...
You mean humans, right? Unless you have some proof that about 7.1 billion people would like to see.

Of course that only makes praying to your fellow human beings even that much more insane...

Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You mean humans, right? Unless you have some proof that about 7.1 billion people would like to see.

Of course that only makes praying to your fellow human beings even that much more insane...
Eh?

God doesn't actually exist, I'm just pointing out that the god portrayed in christianity is generally a real jerk.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I get the feeling many conservative Christians don't have a wide world view on things and just "know what they know" which is whatever has been in front of their face. Understandable I suppose, but it's embarrassing to see it played out in a public arena.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:01 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well he's praying to the government, so...
Did we read the same OP?

Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Not as inappropriate as praying.
I don't know what US you live in, but there's supposed to be a separation of church and state in the one I'm from.
Really? Show us where the Constitution of The United States says anything about "separation of church and state"!
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF;
Nope, no reference to "separation of church and state".
The Constitution of The State Of Montana, Article II, Section 5, FREEDOM OF RELIGION
The state shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF.
Nope, not there, either
However, the Arizona Constitution gets a little convoluted:
"Article 2, section 12
12. Liberty of conscience; appropriations for religious purposes prohibited; religious freedom
Section 12. The liberty of conscience secured by the provisions of this constitution shall not be so construed as to excuse acts of licentiousness, or justify practices inconsistent with the peace and safety of the state. No public money or property shall be appropriated for or applied to any religious worship, exercise, or instruction, or to the support of any religious establishment. No religious qualification shall be required for any public office or employment, nor shall any person be incompetent as a witness or juror in consequence of his opinion on matters of religion, nor be questioned touching his religious belief in any court of justice to affect the weight of his testimony."
the Phrase "separation of church and state" still is not there, though.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Did we read the same OP?
We sure did. The key point was him asking everyone not to bow their heads and to look around at each other right before he went into "prayer."

I don't believe in any sort of god figure. I also don't believe in the secular humanist "god" of government being omnipotent. We have centuries upon centuries to show that human ran governments are just as oppressive (maybe more so) than religious institutions and particularly in the past century where The Church hasn't been the main driver of wars, lies, stealing, oppression, etc.

I respect that you don't have the same views, or see the "prayer" the same, as me regarding the OP's link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies