Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
It's not that hard to become rich, just be born into rich parents/grandparents. Wealth isn't made/earned in this country... it's inherited.
There is very little data to support this. In 2007 wealth transfers (mainly inheritances, but also including gifts) made up an average of 14.7 percent of the total wealth of those who classify as the top 1 percent in terms of wealth. This is actually a decline from the past. In 1992, 27 percent of the wealth of the top 1 percent came from wealth transfers.

Moreso than any time in the last 20 years the wealthy are earning their money as opposed to inheriting it.

http://www.bls.gov/ore/pdf/ec110030.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 01:15 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would have preferred a life of sloth, indolence and depravity but I could not afford it. So I worked for 50 years, banked a lot and have a decent pension. The trouble is the depravity part takes more energy than I have left.

The idea that intelligence, hard work and frugality will make you rich is the greatest myth of all. Intelligence, hard work and frugality will let you live in modest comfort but, without a great deal of luck, it will NOT make you as rich as even a modest inheritance from the wealthy financial class.
Bull crap. With this attitude you will never succeed. In 1992 when my marriage failed my net worth was less than $100,000, by 2001 when I retired it had reached the million plateau, and has continued to grow...Guess what the reason was?...First of all it was a positive attitude, then hard work, good decisions, (and a few bad ones) a bit of luck, and not trying to keep up with the the guy down the street. In other words I have been frugal.

Getting rid of a wife who's hobby was shopping didn't hurt either.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
Everyone's a self made millionaire on this forum, lol.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I am the opposite, I don't save hardly jack, I live for the now, though I am responsible financially for the now, because I know the now is real and a gift. Who knows what tomorrow will bring despite the deepest planning. I have faith that it will work out though.

Nothing is certain, the family, friends or lover you have now could be gone tomorrow. So could your savings, house and all your possessions. Either way it can hurt you, but a car or house or money can be replaced even if not to extent that use to be, so can a lover be replaced in a sense. But family and friends and health and memories? They can't be replaced and those are now, and they may only be now, so I live for the now.
I travel to Thailand every year. I buy nice things, quality things. One can do both save money and have a good life.
Its called living within your means.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:02 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
There is also lots of sour grapes here.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
If supposedly hard work/smarts can make you rich, does mean 97% of Americans who aren't millionares lazy/dumb?
I've always understood that hard work and smarts will be rewarded. What that reward will be varies.

[i don't equate it with money]

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Bull crap. With this attitude you will never succeed. In 1992 when my marriage failed my net worth was less than $100,000, by 2001 when I retired it had reached the million plateau, and has continued to grow...Guess what the reason was?...First of all it was a positive attitude, then hard work, good decisions, (and a few bad ones) a bit of luck, and not trying to keep up with the the guy down the street. In other words I have been frugal.

Getting rid of a wife who's hobby was shopping didn't hurt either.
Sure buddy...whatever you say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
It's unreal. And they're silly enough to think we'll all believe it too.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sure buddy...whatever you say.

It's unreal. And they're silly enough to think we'll all believe it too.
On City-Data.com people can be who they want to be, have to love the Internet.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
First of all let me say $1 million network isn't a lot of money these days, .

What is "$1 million network"?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
It's not that hard to become rich, just be born into rich parents/grandparents. Wealth isn't made/earned in this country... it's inherited.
Not true at all. I know a lot of rich people who inherited nothing.

It happens all the time to winners. Meanwhile, losers whine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies