Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times

Advertisements

Fifty years ago, certain diseases were horrible, and usually fatal. Nothing anybody could do: You got one of them, and you would die, often badly.

Since then, several companies have spent a zillion dollars on research, and developed cures, or at least vaccines, to a number of those diseases. But since those companies don't have money trees, they have to charge very high amounts for those cures or vaccines, so they don't go bankrupt and can pay for the next zillion-dollar research project to cure the next horrible, fatal disease.

QUESTION: Are we better off today, where getting the cure for the horrible disease will bankrupt you and your family for the next twelve generations? Or better off fifty years ago, when your getting that disease would simply kill you off, leaving your family sadder but otherwise fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 03:56 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
My accrual of debt effects only me and my estate, it wouldn't have any impact on the next 11 generations proceeding me, so that doesn't really make sense.

Beyond that, bankruptcy isn't a big deal, keep your house and wipe out your debt - good to go!

Or, y'know, get medical insurance.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:59 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
I'd rather be alive and in debt than dead.

So yes, we are better off.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,845 times
Yes, we are better off today. Take polio for instance, you may be to young to know anything about it but I remember as a kids seeing people suffer terribly from polio.

Yes, medical debt is a problem. Hopefully, Obamacare will improve things.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Since then, several companies have spent a zillion dollars on research, and developed cures, or at least vaccines, to a number of those diseases. But since those companies don't have money trees, they have to charge very high amounts for those cures or vaccines, so they don't go bankrupt and can pay for the next zillion-dollar research project to cure the next horrible, fatal disease.
Companies aren't the only entities spending zillions of dollars on research. Universities do too -- including publicly-funded ones.

Aren't they entitled to funding for their life-saving zillion-dollar research projects too? Keep in mind that those universities -- public and otherwise -- are also responsible for educating the scientists who develop those cures and vaccines.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Yes, much better today

Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Yes, we are better off today. Take polio for instance, you may be to young to know anything about it but I remember as a kids seeing people suffer terribly from polio.

Yes, medical debt is a problem. Hopefully, Obamacare will improve things.
My grandfather was crippled his whole life from polio.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:14 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Honestly - I'd rather be dead than face the amount of debt I will face if I relapse, and I am insured. I'm not sure if I would seek further treatment - though I'd have a better than 50% chance of being cured - because I'm not sure how I'm supposed to pay for treatment, rent, utilities, and food when I'd need to be out of work for at least 6 months. My work does not offer short term disability and I got sick so soon after getting my first job that I hadn't yet thought about getting short term disability insurance on my own. Few 22 year olds think about that. Now, I can't.

Bankruptcy is horrible when you rent. It's just me- my family can't or won't help me and my friends are in grad school or also in their first jobs. My credit has been trashed by the cost of cancer treatment. I can't afford to live on my own - I need to live with roommates who end up costing me more money by bolting and not paying their bills, and I'll probably have roommates until I'm in my 30s. I worry every night about how I can pay my bills NOW, and end up postponing scans because I can't afford them and I'm truly terrified about what a bad scan will bring.

Am I happy to be alive? Yes. Is the amount of stress I am under BECAUSE I survived good for me long term? Not one bit.

Having life saving treatments is only as good as your ability to afford them.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Are we better off? In some ways. We all have color TV, once a luxury (and all the programming is actually in color unlike 50 years ago.). We can all chat on Internet forums. Nobody gets drafted into the Army anymore. But in many ways we have lost so much more. Used to be most any American could get a job, one that often paid the rent. There was more common ground in politics and Congress got things done. Even the draft got a lot of young men straightened out. Medical expenses were more reasonable, hospitals put treating the ill ahead of profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies