Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 PM

775 posts, read 741,061 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a straight (not that this should matter), healthy young male myself, recent news events (Steubenville, etc) and some research on polls and surveys have made me even more sickened by the brutal callousness with which male and female rape victims are treated by society today. I've never experienced sexual assault, nor do I have any family members/friends that I know have undergone such an experience, but I can emphasize with how horrifying of an experience a rape must be. What must feel even worse, however, is when your community refuses to believe or care about your trauma. It's disgusting, to say the least.

A large variety of independent studies indicate that as many as 1 in 5 women have been raped in their lifetime and as many as 8% of college males, primarily fraternity members and athletes, have admitted to attempting or committing rape. I don't think many people, particularly men, understand just how traumatic an experience rape is. Upwards of 35% of rape victims report contemplating suicide following their experience, and the level of post traumatic stress in rape victims is higher than among war veterans. Even more dreadful is the report that only 3-6% of rapists are ever convicted for their crimes, thanks to a combination of police incompetence and a disturbing quantity of rape apologists.

With this in mind, the disgusting kneejerk reaction of your typical misogynist that the woman should be help responsible for <insert arbitrary reason here> is the equivalent of telling a young boy that he deserved to watch his parents get burned alive in a house fire because he threw out his vegetables, or telling a torture victim that he deserved his experience because he didn't wash his hands. What kind of a sociopath thinks that drinking a little too much on the night means you deserve to suffer a lifelong, traumatic experience?

I'm usually an optimist, but holy ****. Holy ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 07:36 PM

156 posts, read 116,276 times
Well if you walk into a snake pit and get bit who do you blame for that decision? Or how about, if you walk into a ghetto neighborhood and then get robbed, beaten, raped, murdered. Who do you blame for THAT decision?

Food for thought.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:40 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
Well if you walk into a snake pit and get bit who do you blame for that decision? Or how about, if you walk into a ghetto neighborhood and then get robbed, beaten, raped, murdered. Who do you blame for THAT decision?

Food for thought.
How about, oh I don't know, blaming the person who made the decision to rape another person?

Old 06-02-2013, 07:42 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:

Food for thought.
Thanks for proving the OP's point.

I suppose women should never go to college, where so many rapes occur. They should just stay home where they will not tempt any men with their wanton femaleness.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Well if you walk into a snake pit and get bit who do you blame for that decision?
Irrelevant analogy, given that a snake can't really be criminally blamed.

Quote:
Or how about, if you walk into a ghetto neighborhood and then get robbed, beaten, raped, murdered. Who do you blame for THAT decision?
Responsibility is not black and white. You acknowledge that the victim made a stupid choice in this context, but this has absolutely no bearing on the responsibility of the perpetrators, who, if proven guilty, fully deserve to be slowly tortured to death.

Also note that many rape victims are truly the victims of circumstances beyond their control. Of course, your typical misogynist will simply assume that a victim must be to blame for the experience before he even reads what happened.

Beyond the moral disgust over rapists and their many sociopathic supporters, I find that the latter have also cultivated clever skills at rhetoric, to make their arguments sound rational and intellectual, when they're really a pathetic pile of blanket generalizations and black-white thinking.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:48 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Well if you walk into a snake pit and get bit who do you blame for that decision?

Food for thought.
Yeah, man, I hear ya!

Women eventually develop immunities to sperm venom.

I heard it on the NIH Sex Channel.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
The biggest percentage of victims are White males.....sentenced to sexual slavery and the Ameritard people think it's funny.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
When the politically correct took the word RAPE and softened the term with the phrase "sexual assault" - THAT was the beginning of the new barbarism.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
When the politically correct took the word RAPE and softened the term with the phrase "sexual assault" - THAT was the beginning of the new barbarism.
Disturbingly, upwards of 33% of college males say that they would rape if they knew they would get away with it. Change it to "sexual assault", and the numbers passes 50%. I swear, I want to believe these statistics are full of ****.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:

Food for thought.
I suggest that you send that half-baked thought back to the kitchen and think some more.

Quote:
Approximately 2/3 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim.
73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.
38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.
28% are an intimate.
7% are a relative.
source: The Offenders | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies