Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
.that PP is hiding behind its social welfare advocacy and no one is challenging the level of its political activity.
...Why should I?

I wouldn't even question a conservative group doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Do you guys even bother to look this stuff up or try to understand it before you go on a rant?
Here's a break down of the different types of tax exempt structures:
501(c) organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Planned Parenthood is divided into several different organizations with different tax exempt status, separate boards, monies, etc.

501(c)4 organizations can do political work, as long as it's less than 50% of what they do--the rest has to be (or is supposed to be) social welfare activities that benefit the entire community. Why would PP have to form TWO 501(c)4 organization? They qualify as a social welfare group--they provide healthcare services and healthcare education to the general public--so they're legally eligible to do spend part of their monies on candidates and campaigns as well. People who donate to the 501(c)4 can't write the donation off on their taxes, but the (c)4 doesn't have to pay taxes on the donation either.

PP largest group is their 501(c)3 organization, which is limited to charitable, educational, scientific, or literary work--this is the majority of their service provision. This is their main organization, and the group where gifts are tax deductible for the donor. All of their major grant money, including federal grants, would go through this group. That organization can't work on campaigns or endorse candidates AT ALL.

PP hasn't done anything sneaky or special. The work they do CLEARLY fits in the guidelines for both 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 work.
Neither did any of the groups the IRS targeted but yet many still cheered on the IRS going after them while leaving groups like P.P. alone.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No they can't, a church cannot endorse, fund or campaign for any political candidate or party. They may advocate issues but there is line that cannot be crossed.
where did i say that the church was endorsing, fund or campaigning for any political candidate or party? Please quote me exactly.

What I said was:

Any entity can contribute funds to where they want. Churches do it.

Please show us where in those two sentences did i mention campaigning, endorsing or funding?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:30 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
You chose to opine.....however useless that opinion might be.....im still interested in a cogent liberal viewpoint.....if there is such a thing.
Trust me, you wouldn't understand if someone explained it to you. Slowly.

It taint gonna sink in.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Trust me, you wouldn't understand if someone explained it to you. Slowly.

It taint gonna sink in.
Give it your best shot. I'm all ears.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 PM

Types of Organizations Exempt under Section 501(c)(4)

Social Welfare organizations: Civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare.

Do any of the Teabagger groups contribute to social welfare of others? No? That's what I thought.

You support Pres. Barack Obama, you support women's rights. Plain and simple.

All better now? Good. Now run along.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Types of Organizations Exempt under Section 501(c)(4)

Social Welfare organizations: Civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare.

Do any of the Teabagger groups contribute to social welfare of others? No? That's what I thought.

You support Pres. Barack Obama, you support women's rights. Plain and simple.

All better now? Good. Now run along.
How do you know? Which applications have you had the chance to read??

That's what I thought. More hypocrisy and deflection from the left.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
How do you know? Which applications have you had the chance to read??

That's what I thought. More hypocrisy and deflection from the left.
No one was arrested. No one was sent to jail. Most of these crybabies were not given tax exempt status fast enough to make them happy, but that does not mean they were unfairly denied.

I'm not carrying water for the IRS, I have no love for them or their policies, but the Republican clown car parade of their hand picked whiners testifying about "tyranny" and "being scared of their government" and blah blah blah is just yet more hyperbole, and more red meat propaganda by Republicans.

At least it is a break from the Benghazi "scandal", but it is never enough for wingnuts, as their appetite is insatiable. And Republicans have them trained to slobber at the bell.
The bell never stops ringing.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
They had to report who gave money to them, who volunteered for them, what books they read, and the list of questions that should not have been asked went on and on. Then the names of people who gave to them were sent to groups who had opposite political view for harassment.

All dirty tricks stuff like in the Nixon era but the Nixon people never used the IRS for political reasons even if Nixon wanted to, his people said it was against the law and they never did it.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Planned Parenthood operates its social welfare organization under the 501(c)(3). This is a legitimate use of the IRS tax-exempt status.

However, Planned Parenthood also operates an overtly political 501(c)(4) that put its resources directly into the re-election of Barack Obama in 2012.

If Democrats are so concerned about the Tea Party conservatives being targeted by the IRS, then why haven't we heard anything from liberals and Democrats about Planned Parenthood hiding behind the "social welfare" requirement while it overtly participates in the political process......the same issue that presumably the IRS has with conservative groups?

Let's be clear: Planned Parenthood's political arm is not about women's health. It's about electing Democrats, and more specifically, Barack Obama in 2012.

Where is the outrage liberals? Will you stand up and demand that Planned Parenthood receive additional scrutiny?

Home - Planned Parenthood Action Center
1. I like how you think Democrats are all knowing now LOL.

2.You gave us a link a website that does not show a single thing you posted in your comment.

PP's 501(c)4 did not campaign for President Obama, Tea party groups readily support candidates.

#FAIL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies