Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
I don't hear about violent hispanic cities, schools or neighborhoods. Only black.

I'm as real as it gets.
there's a whole violent (and poor) Hispanic country to the south. you never heard of it? los angeles is predominantly Hispanic and has some of the worse schools in the country let alone the state. you don't know much, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
Smells like white flight to me.
in what way? do you even know what white flight is? it always amazes me how people could be on the internet, the largest source of knowledge on the planet, and still know nothing at all.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 PM

571 posts, read 791,115 times
Someone should watch "Stand And Deliver".

Old 06-04-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
that's what I was thinking.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Why? What does Obama have to do with this?

Repubs are the ones that want spending cuts to non-defense programs including education. RL]
I want spending cuts to our military.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
it is terrible that kids who actually want to learn are terrorized by kids who should quite obviously be in some sort of disciplinary program. .
I feel really bad for the little kid with his military uniform. He seems to have a good heart, at least. There are a number of others there it looks like too. The lack of parents showing up too is concerning. At my inner city school that was a problem as well although not nearly as bad as here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
DC has long been near the top in per-pupil spending, and near the bottom in outcome. Nor is it an isolated case. Spending has more than doubled since 1970, but test scores have declined.
CARPE DIEM: Education Spending Doubled, Stagnant Test Scores
Very valid point.

Quote:
I was responding to someone who suggested that the President's children ought to be enrolled in this particular school, insinuating he created the situation.
I posted that because the smarmy elite in this country on their high horse display such a double standard it makes me want to punch my screen some times.

Quote:
No, 'Lean on Me'.

Lean on Me Inspirational Speech - YouTube

That school is identical to the one in the movie. Identical.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Actually, thats your observation
Well, since it's astute, I suppose it would be me...

Old 06-04-2013, 11:10 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Strange there aren't any 15,000 dollar a year private schools in the ghetto, astute observation.
I actually have to call bull**** on this.

My parents were lucky enough to send me and my brothers to a private school. It was in the middle of a ghetto. I have driven home from school and have had some yell "get out my hood whiteboy" and throw an empty beer bottle at my car before.

I do admit since it was a private school, it had the ability to pick and choose its applicants, and kick out the bad seeds, while a public school couldn't.

Funny thing is my mom teached/teaches at the school that pulls from the ghetto in the same area.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:10 PM

571 posts, read 791,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I posted that because the smarmy elite in this country on their high horse display such a double standard it makes me want to punch my screen some times.
I don't think you have to be an elitist to not want to send your kid's to a school where they'll be assaulted at the drop of a hat.

Also, more tax money, for a school like that, is exactly what's needed. I realize more funding doesn't always equal better schools but based on the video, what that school needs is more people doing security work so that the principal doesn't have to run around during lunch and break up fights.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
btw I will point out about that school.

I don't get the concern with closing it down? It is not like the kids would not be bussed to other schools. It would just mean they would shut that school down. I believe I heard about 400 students, about 100 a grade?

As I stated I went to a private school, and it had an attendance of about 2200, I know my graduating class was like 450 students.

Maybe the shut down was do to the lack of new students entering?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 PM

156 posts, read 116,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
there's a whole violent (and poor) Hispanic country to the south.
We're not talking about latin america. We're talking about the United States. Stay on topic.

Quote:
los angeles is predominantly Hispanic and has some of the worse schools in the country let alone the state.

I won't deny that some places in California have violent hispanic schools, but when you compare hispanic schools to black schools it's not even close.

I feel alot safer in a Mexican community than I do a black one. I live in Texas where there's as many hispanics as there are whites.

Again: It has nothing to do with poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies