Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,242,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No it doesn't. It means that this girl has a change to live. You would rather kill her off and someone else who doesn't need it as much be given to them... anyone hear of the word prioritize? If someone was hurt in an accident and one had a broken toe and the other had their head split opened who do you think would get worked on first?
If someone with inoperable cancer needs a transplant, and someone had an accident and needs a transplant, who should get the organ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,580,006 times
Quote:
No it doesn't. It means that this girl has a change to live. You would rather kill her off and someone else who doesn't need it as much be given to them... anyone hear of the word prioritize? If someone was hurt in an accident and one had a broken toe and the other had their head split opened who do you think would get worked on first?
Well, it is not quite that simple is it? For instance, how do YOU know that whoever was on the list 'doesn't need it as much'? How do you know? Are you on the transplant team; are you a physician?

No - you are not. You know nothing except what tidbits you have heard on the news.

My ENTIRE issue with this is that a Judge should NOT be deciding who gets what. You do understand that life and death decision are made every day with regard to transplants? Yes?

To insinuate that I would rather 'kill her off' only underscores your level of ignorance in this matter.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,948,462 times
Quote:
Obviously this girl is more critical than the others..reason for a judge to step in.
And the judge knows this how?

What is his medical expertise in the field?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM

33,594 posts, read 18,218,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I would do exactly what the parents of this child did. I would look for any loophole possible. That doesn't change the FACT that transplant guidelines set by DOCTORS are there for a reason.
When legislation was put in place the fact that adult lungs could not be given to a child.. today that legislation is hindering what they can do medically today. Medical doctors say this girl has a good change of survival with an adult lung.. the legislation is outdated.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
And the judge knows this how?

What is his medical expertise in the field?
Don't you think the medical doctors had to submit that fact that the legislation is outdated and they can help this critically ill girl.. the doctors are on the side of this girl.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 AM

19,721 posts, read 12,296,789 times
Quote:
YOu would really like to see this child die?.. the lungs go to the ones who most need it..This girl needs it more than them all.
She faces a poor quality of shortened life either way. It is very sad but it is just the reality. There may be a candidate with the potential to have a long and healthy life with the transplanted lung remaining functional and healthy. This girl's new lungs will be attacked by her fatal disease, fill with mucous and eventually suffocate her. I suspect most donors don't have that in mind when they donate their working organs. I would not want mine going to someone who will certainly die of their disease at an early age, and be sickly anyway, I'd rather they go to someone with a good chance of being cured or at least having a great quality of life.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, it is not quite that simple is it? For instance, how do YOU know that whoever was on the list 'doesn't need it as much'? How do you know? Are you on the transplant team; are you a physician?

No - you are not. You know nothing except what tidbits you have heard on the news.

My ENTIRE issue with this is that a Judge should NOT be deciding who gets what. You do understand that life and death decision are made every day with regard to transplants? Yes?

To insinuate that I would rather 'kill her off' only underscores your level of ignorance in this matter.
The truth hurts.. you would rather kill her off than the judge give her a shot.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:26 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,948,462 times
Quote:
When legislation was put in place the fact that adult lungs could not be given to a child.. today that legislation is hindering what they can do medically today. Medical doctors say this girl has a good change of survival with an adult lung.. the legislation is outdated.
No ... the girl has Cystic Fibrosis. The lung will merely prolong matters.

There are not enough lungs to go around .... fact. If this girl gets a lung then someone else does not.

This is a judicial death panel in operation. There are 40 people in Pennsylvania waiting for lung transplants. What makes this child more deserving than the other 39?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:27 AM

7,993 posts, read 9,195,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, what happens now is that the adult that was #1 is now #3 since 2 children got bumped to be on 2 lists and there's another child lawsuit to do the same for a third child.

Do we let all the adults die now ?
You're happy that a lawyer and judge decided who gets medical priority ?
You have no idea what position the children are in. They merely have been placed on the list to be evaluated for the possibility of receiving an adult lung.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
She faces a poor quality of shortened life either way. It is very sad but it is just the reality. There may be a candidate with the potential to have a long and healthy life with the transplanted lung remaining functional and healthy. This girl's new lungs will be attacked by her fatal disease, fill with mucous and eventually suffocate her. I suspect most donors don't have that in mind when they donate their working organs. I would not want mine going to someone who will certainly die of their disease at an early age, and be sickly anyway, I'd rather they go to someone with a good chance of being cured or at least having a great quality of life.
We don't know that. Anyone can get well and anyone can die.. it is a shot for this little girl to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies