Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 PM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Many people will do anything if they think it will help them survive.
and far more are willing to die for an illusion of liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,073,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I can't help but fear for the future of this country.
Yes, this nation is going downhill - infringements on civil liberty by the government having widespread public support is certainly a recent development.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,334,035 times
I've railed against the GOP for years, and I voted for Barack Obama in part because I thought that we were going to end the politics of paranoia and waging war against an idea. Crap, was I wrong.

I still won't vote Republican - no way in hell I'd do that. But at this point, I don't know if I can in good conscience vote Democrat anymore. I'm really, really disappointed to see democrats supporting this policy just because it's a democratic administration running the show. These are the same people who'd be howling at the moon if this revelation had come out during the Bush administration, and if they have a shred of honesty, they'd admit it.

Ironically, as much as I've lampooned the Ron & Rand Paul show over the past year or more, I can honestly say that they're among the few people I really feel comfortable with right now. I strongly disagree with them on a lot of things, particularly economics. But in terms of civil liberties, they're probably one of the few who are willing to be statesmen. I also commend Udall, Wyden, and DeFazio.

I'm probably voting libertarian or green party from now on...if at all, that is.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,533,027 times

Really. No one has me and if they did. I would say not the way we are finding out, they have been conducting this tracking. So I don't know where these percentages come from, since they obviously don't ask all Americans.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:09 AM

742 posts, read 679,064 times
Wow, very sad and alarming to what America has become.

Look even the Author Of The Patriot Act Says NSA Surveillance Is An Abuse And Must End .

That should tell you something if you still believe in backing the NSA.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:17 AM

742 posts, read 679,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh he's one of you? You guys are trip. Libertarians are a bunch of doe-eyed ignoramuses who think the world is a wonderful place where everyone would play nice if only there were no government to make them do it. You would all be taken out in the first round.
You are very incorrect about Libertarians, among other assumptions in your posted opinion.

I'll play by ad hominen attacks since that's how your mentality communicates. Though, I believe by now you have me ignored due to not replying to my other posts in various threads.

Anyway,
You're a real piece of nanny state Totalitarian supporter. Too bad you're not one of their paid for Cyber Warriors, you are really thinking this way. Move aside your troll ego. Wake up for your own sake even if you don't care about the rest of us.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:27 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,939,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I've railed against the GOP for years, and I voted for Barack Obama in part because I thought that we were going to end the politics of paranoia and waging war against an idea. Crap, was I wrong.

I still won't vote Republican - no way in hell I'd do that. But at this point, I don't know if I can in good conscience vote Democrat anymore. I'm really, really disappointed to see democrats supporting this policy just because it's a democratic administration running the show. These are the same people who'd be howling at the moon if this revelation had come out during the Bush administration, and if they have a shred of honesty, they'd admit it.

Ironically, as much as I've lampooned the Ron & Rand Paul show over the past year or more, I can honestly say that they're among the few people I really feel comfortable with right now. I strongly disagree with them on a lot of things, particularly economics. But in terms of civil liberties, they're probably one of the few who are willing to be statesmen. I also commend Udall, Wyden, and DeFazio.

I'm probably voting libertarian or green party from now on...if at all, that is.
I'm in a similar situation. Ive been against the Patriot Act since that nut GW signed it. I could not in good conscience vote repub, and did vote for Obama. But, Im disgusted with his whole administration at this point. He was supposed to 'change' the wrongs set in motion under GW, and instead only furthered them. As far as Im concerned he's just another GW in different clothes. I don't know how Id vote next time, but I do know Im furious with what the democratic party has allowed itself to become. They're no different than the repubs. Two sides of the same slimy coin.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:35 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,938,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I can't help but fear for the future of this country.
Pew did the so-called polling. No surprise.
Pew Charitable Trusts
http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/cli...5375&year=2010

Last edited by CDusr; 06-11-2013 at 04:14 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,756,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Who is "we?" "We" are certainly not the State.

And the U.S. federal government is the
Quote:
biggest terrorist organization on earth.
I will stop short of that definition, but close. Had we not intervened in the middle east affairs over the last 50 years, we would not have to worry about terrorism today.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:36 AM

57,333 posts, read 26,255,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
The PEW Center is one of the respected and independent organizations we have, no need to go to open secrets just go to the PEW website where they post their complete tax return each year. Since you don't agree with the PEW poll, where do you get your information.

About The Pew Charitable Trusts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies