Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 AM

59,315 posts, read 27,487,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I'm a socially liberal independent (the only conservative viewpoints I agree with are on gun control and fiscal sanity), and firmly believe that Affirmative Action has outlived its usefulness. It was a good law when it was passed, but there is absolutely no reason that there should be a quota system in the hiring department. Companies should be hiring based on qualifications, not ethnicity.
"It was a good law when it was passed,"

When was that? Who voted for it? how many dems?

How many repubs?

Ah, the ill informed.

Affirmative Action is NOT a law but a policy.

Affirmative Action is refers to policies that take factors including "race, color, religion, sex, or national origin"into consideration in order to benefit an underrepresented group "in areas of employment, education, and business".

"The term "affirmative action" was first used in the United States in Executive Order 10925 and was signed by President John F. Kennedy on 6 March 1961; it was used to promote actions that achieve non-discrimination. In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson enacted Executive Order 11246 which required government employers to take "affirmative action" to hire without regard to race, religion and national origin. In 1967, gender was added to the anti-discrimination list."

Affirmative action - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 AM

937 posts, read 1,136,540 times
The big misconception is that AA primarily helps blacks and other minorities, when in fact, it primarily helps women, chiefly white women.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:07 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,124,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post
I'll take it a step further, if you support any form of affirmative action you are not only morally bankrupt, but you are also a racist.
And what's your opinion on referral hires? If you oppose AA b/c it somehow punishes more qualified candidates, where do you stand on job openings that are only filled by people w/ connections to a company? Do you seriously believe the friend of one of the manager's would be the best qualified in an open pool?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:08 AM

164 posts, read 198,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If the arguments for race based AA fall short, then the arguments for class based AA would be similarly specious along the exact same lines.

After all, one could argue that we'd be punishing either wealthy or successful people...as if being either is wrong.

Why are you always looking for an artificial edge? I find it sad that you and the minority or class groups you speak for are so pathetic they cannot do anything without seed money from the white man to do anything.

Then on top of it, you've been given the world from food, housing, jobs, policy, government officials, free education, etc and it is still not enough or not equal.

I have a profound theory for you to digest, the reason you cannot succeed is because you aren't able to when you can't even get the first steps in life done without help. The amount of people I know (ironically white) that have come from just as humble of beginning as all the cry babies in this country and most are wildly successful mainly because they had a M/F actual family, proper priorities and were good decent people.

Key tips to not be a failure in life
-go to school and pay attention
-don't break laws
-plan for your future
-refuse all govt assistance/policy (especially as a way of life)
-grind
-profit

Those are the only differences between the "hillbillies" I know in the sticks without a pot to **** in and the crying, minorities that use every excuse in the book besides personal failures as why they cannot keep up given the same starting point.

The President is black, the AG is black, the NSA (soon to be) director is black, the SCOTUS has multiple minorities and women, the SOTUS is female, Valerie Jarrett is Black/Iranian, etc, etc, etc.

Racism is absolutely unacceptable excuse for ANY minority to use in 2013. Obviously, to anyone who is educated; affirmative action is literally racism against white people. (meritorious people will only understand this)

Old 06-12-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Well said. When you force companies to hire based on ethnicity how is that fair to either the company or the applicant if I bring more to the table and can contribute more to the company.
Not only are they forced to hire but, they have to have "programs" to go to the minorities and entice them to apply for a job with their company.

When I applied for my first real job I went to the company HQ's employment office and filled out an application.

That is NOT good enough under Affirmative Action.

Of course the companies have to pay for all these discriminatory programs themselves.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,957,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post
I'll take it a step further, if you support any form of affirmative action you are not only morally bankrupt, but you are also a racist.
That may be your feeling, but is not the fact.

Im positive there were tons of laws passed durring reconstruction that benefited blacks. Why were those laws not racist against the white population? Maybe because most saw those laws passed by white law makers as necessary to help just freed black slave a hand up in society.

Those law makers were not racist and we dont see the laws they passed as racist.

Last edited by Chimuelojones; 06-12-2013 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And what's your opinion on referral hires? If you oppose AA b/c it somehow punishes more qualified candidates, where do you stand on job openings that are only filled by people w/ connections to a company? Do you seriously believe the friend of one of the manager's would be the best qualified in an open pool?

Pretty simple Eddie, the company is free to make a decision however they may. If they hired an HR recruiter that is simply hiring friends without regard to their merits then he will render the company at a disadvantage to there competition. This will be noticed, because human capital is typically the most vital part of any business and will directly impact financial, operations, etc.

So, my take is they are 100% within their rights to hire anyone for any reason (profound logic) considering they are a private company.

Do I agree with the practice personally? It depends on the deviation of the candidates talent. There is something to be said for a "friend" because what you are also not taking into account is how that person will act, work as a team, treat over/underlings, customers, clients.

If your connected friend has the credentials within reason, and the other candidates have an unknown track record I see this hiring practice as 100% ethical, acceptable and intelligent.

If you are saying they hire a bleach, blonde bimbo with giant breasts solely on looks as an Accountant then I would say the company will suffer the competitive fallout from this moronic decision which will 'punish' them for their actions.

Either way, AA is immoral. Again, if you cannot recognize the heinous nature of AA and use that as your crutch I truly know this country has fully purged all merit from society.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
That may be your feeling, but is not the fact.

That is because you are not able to see anything that isn't racism. Being taught to excuse all of your failings due to racism as way to cope with a lack of skills, which leads to vote buying and power.

Again, on its face if you said we have way too many blacks/women in government and we had to hire white men regardless of merit it would be the biggest news in 30 years and would be immediately met with fervor and racism allegations.

Racism is affirmative action, affirmative action is racism.

That has to be one pathetic life to know you are only hired because you are a useful idiot to a political apparatus.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
I suppose my feelings on affirmative action can be summed up in a "cast" metaphor:

When a bone is broken, you put a cast on it to stabilize the bone while it heals. You don't take the cast off as soon as there are signs of healing; you take it off when the bone is strong enough to support itself.

As far as society goes, on the surface I see signs of token integration and success everywhere. American society certainly has improved in the last 40-50 years! Make no mistake about that! However, socioeconomic and statistical evidence has repeatedly shown that minorities are still severely disadvantaged. Is Affirmative Action the magical elixir to enforcing equality? That's highly unlikely and why I see it merely as the "cast" which is keeping our fractured society in alignment while we try to heal it. I don't think it's a good idea to remove it until we have better evidence to support the assertion that equality has realistically been achieved.

That being said, I think we do need to find a better method of fixing the problem because filling quotas on who gets hired can only help so much. There must be a better way.
"Make no mistake about that! However, socioeconomic and statistical evidence has repeatedly shown that minorities are still severely disadvantaged."

Why is that? The Civil rights bill was passed in 1964.

When only about half of all black students graduate from high school, how do you expect them to qualify for a job?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 AM

156 posts, read 116,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The devil is in the details, most people that are against Affirmative Action are White Republicans, color me shocked.
You're just a racist who supports laws like Affirmitive Action because it discriminates against white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies