Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,926,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Would you agree that school faculties and alumni that are historically and currently over-represented by White people benefit White people for legacy, donor, and fac-brats admissions?

How about anti-Asian discrimination which benefits White applicants more than any other group?

Legacy Admissions Favor Wealth Over Merit - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com
Statistics Indicate an Ivy League Asian Quota - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

How about the forced gender split in classes? Black & Hispanic women are overrepresented, so to maintain a 50/50 gender split for classes, which group of males needs to be overrepresented to reach that balance?

http://www.fed-soc.org/doclib/201112...Engage12.3.pdf
Are institutions of education the only entity that favor wealth over merit? No, it happens in every facet of life.

Sounds like you have issues with the human condition.

You don't see the people who actually meet goals based off merit, and carve out niches for themselves, complaining....it's the ones who haven't done squat and feel like they are born entitled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,130,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post
Affirmative action (known as positive discrimination in the United Kingdom, and as employment equity in Canada and elsewhere) refers to policies that take factors including "race, color, religion, sex, or national origin"[1] into consideration in order to benefit an underrepresented group "in areas of employment, education, and business

Help me help you.

Reading is fundamental!

"Peter, we are looking for a solid Accountant to add to the team. I am now considering your race, color, religion, sex and national origin and using it to find the best person at netting credits with debits."

Makes 100% complete sense!
Why is the case never brought up that you have to equally qualified candidates, and THEN race is used as a deciding factor? Why is it in your mind, the only way that a minority candidate could possibly beat out a White candidate if that minority is always less qualified?

How about this for an example: "Peter, we are looking for a solid Accountant to add to the team. You're just as qualified as Humberto Garcia and there really isn't any way to pick a "better" candidate. I am now considering your race, color, religion, sex and national origin and using it to find the best person at netting credits with debits."

Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,233,561 times
Quote:
I brought up the Ivy argument as a separate point b/c both those points apply. Kids get into tough state schools w/ 2.0 gpa over higher scoring kids. Ivy Leagues are also not just filled by the 99th percentile. So, no. I wasn't limiting my scope to just top schools.
Show me a shred of evidence to support this. You are 100% wrong.

Quote:
And what does supporting the preferential standards that benefit Whites make you?
When did I say I support preferential standards benefiting whites? I am against any preferential treatment, as opposed to you, who supports racist behavior. Stop acting with racist behavior and realize that a persons race doesn't matter.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Are institutions of education the only entity that favor wealth over merit? No, it happens in every facet of life.

Sounds like you have issues with the human condition.

You don't see the people who actually meet goals based off merit, and carve out niches for themselves, complaining....it's the ones who haven't done squat and feel like they are born entitled.
No. It sounds like you're backtracking to support a system where certain applicants are given special consideration. But only when it's a system that you're okay with.

You were just saying that it's unfair to give lesser qualified people (minorities) the spot, but now you're saying that you're okay w/ it as long as the beneficiary meets... ... what criteria?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,509,303 times
Affirmative Action is liberal bigotry and misogyny at its best. Since liberal freaks think so little of minorities and women, they feel that there is no way any minority or woman could make it in the real world without the government tipping the balance in their favor. Minorities and women should be incensed that liberal freaks think so little of them. It is incredibly demeaning to tell anyone that you are incapable of making it on your own without government help. Obviously liberal freaks do not believe in meritocracy.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Show me a shred of evidence to support this. You are 100% wrong.
Look up the acceptance rates that fall in the 25 -75th percentile scores for standardized tests for any school. Ivy League or state. That's why I'm 100% right.

Quote:
When did I say I support preferential standards benefiting whites? I am against any preferential treatment, as opposed to you, who supports racist behavior. Stop acting with racist behavior and realize that a persons race doesn't matter.
I'm fine w/ all the preferential standards that are applied to college acceptance. It's why college isn't just some homogeneous group of nerds, and why people that go to college have a better, more accurate understanding of the world around them.

The only who's outing themselves as racist are the people who choose to single out minorities for receiving the same benefits that Whites have been getting and are still getting.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,963,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post
That is because you are not able to see anything that isn't racism. Being taught to excuse all of your failings due to racism as way to cope with a lack of skills, which leads to vote buying and power.

Again, on its face if you said we have way too many blacks/women in government and we had to hire white men regardless of merit it would be the biggest news in 30 years and would be immediately met with fervor and racism allegations.

Racism is affirmative action, affirmative action is racism.

That has to be one pathetic life to know you are only hired because you are a useful idiot to a political apparatus.
News flash. Their are tons of people, of all ethnic backgrounds, that can do...have done, and continue to do your job...without skipping a beat.

Sorry to inform you, you're are not special, not unique, or indispensible. Mommy's little man just has to learn play well with others. Sorry mommy's aint here to protect her little man.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,926,256 times
Quote:
No. It sounds like you're backtracking to support a system where certain applicants are given special consideration. But only when it's a system that you're okay with.

You were just saying that it's unfair to give lesser qualified people (minorities) the spot, but now you're saying that you're okay w/ it as long as the beneficiary meets... ... what criteria?
No, you seem to have an issue with PRIVATE education institutions.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,233,561 times
Quote:
Look up the acceptance rates that fall in the 25 -75th percentile scores for standardized tests for any school. Ivy League or state. That's why I'm 100% right.
There are a few exceptions and you use that to state a fact? Really?

Quote:
I'm fine w/ all the preferential standards that are applied to college acceptance. It's why college isn't just some homogeneous group of nerds, and why people that go to college have a better, more accurate understanding of the world around them.
College should be composed completely of the best people who will produce the best results post-graduation. Supporting preferential treatment is one of the reasons why our country is pathetically far behind the rest of the world in terms of STEM education.

Quote:
The only who's outing themselves as racist are the people who choose to single out minorities for receiving the same benefits that Whites have been getting and are still getting.
I am 100% against anyone (whites or otherwise) getting preferential treatment. You are 100% supportive of minorities receiving preferential treatment. You are absolutely a racist. Racism will never cease to exist as long as people like you are thinking the way you do.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,807,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Support for Affirmative Action at historic low.

Affirmative Action is a Democrat program based on the idea that black people have such low natural ability, they can't make it in life without help from white people.

That program losing its support is a sign that we are finally, at long last, entering the ranks of civilized nations that do not diacriminate by skin color or national origin.
I disagree. To me, welfare was just that. Give free money to people you don't want to include and you don't trust. Just give them money to stay away.

Affirmative Action was a way to include and develop people who weren't given opportunities.
This isn't about Welfare, it's about Affirmative Action.

It might have been intended as a way to include and develop people who weren't given opportunities, but it never turned out that way. Nobody ever checked what opportunities were "given". It was, in fact, exactly what I described: A program based on the assumption that black people (and other minorities) have low ability, and so need help from whites. And of course, that "help" means money, coerced from taxpayers by government.

It was also a flat violation of the 14th amendment, since it was based purely on race, and NOT on any measurement of who was "given" more opportunities. In fact, such measurements were never made. Govt just blindly doled out the money to blacks, and to programs advertised as "helping" blacks.

This "help" has done more to hold back black people, than any program in the country's history since slavery itself.

The fact that support is diminishing from this racist program, as I said, is a sign we are finally entering the ranks of civilized nations that do not discriminate by skin color or national origin. Blacks made the best progress, even in the face of rampant discrimination and bigotry, in the 1950s when there were no such "help" programs and they had to prosper by their own hard work and perseverence. And they improved their lots magnificently... until Democrats decided they needed "help" in the 1960s.

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 06-12-2013 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies