Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 03:46 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times

Advertisements

For those of you who believe certain parts of our society aren't tolerant enough, and give too many knee-jerk reactions... you're right.

A man of questionable mental capability left a loaded gun where his 4-year-old son could get it. The son found it, started playing with it, it went off, and killed the father.

This actress heard about it on the news, and Tweeted how horrible it was, and that people should practice gun safety.

And half her followers dumped her!

Easy come, easy go. (The Twits, not the father.)

Don't worry, Miss. You only lost the half that weren't worth keeping anyway. The average IQ of your Follower list just doubled.

BTW, I've heard no reports of any tendency for this father to leave a car parked, keys in the ignition, engine running, and door open, in the middle of a kindergarten playground during school hours. That would be no different from leaving a loaded gun where a 4-year-old could get to it. This guy did one but not the other, for some reason.

---------------------------------------

Actress Katee Sackoff urges gun safety on Twitter, loses half her followers | Fox News

Actress Katee Sackoff urges gun safety on Twitter, loses half her followers

Published June 11, 2013

Actress Katee Sackoff said she lost half of her Twitter followers when she tweeted a message urging people to practice gun safety.

After watching a television report about a four-year-old who accidentally shot and killed his father with a loaded gun that had been left unattended at a friend’s house, the “Battlestar Galactica” star tweeted Monday:

“Please practice gun safety. This is horrible!”

Soon after, Sackoff’s Twitter feed blew up with followers advocating gun control instead of gun safety.

“Here's a radical idea folks. How about NO gun?” one wrote.

Sackoff responded to her critics: “Never gonna happen in the US. Proper gun safety is a necessity though.”

That did not satisfy many, who continued to criticize her initial comment.

Sackoff tried to elaborate on her position: “Just to be clear...I NEVER said automatic guns should be legal!“

But it was too late. While many came to her defense (“I don't understand why @kateesackhoff got so much flack for a gun safety tweet. She's right”), her initial comment apparently cost her about 100,000 Twitter followers.

Later on Monday, Sackoff tweeted: “On a lighter note since I've lost half my followers due to talking about gun safety...the sun is shining & Happy Monday! Love your neighbor today!”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
if i were on twitter i might actually sign up to follow her. its still not enough to get me on twitter though.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Some day I might figure out what the hell Twitter is, and sign up.

Not holding my breath over it, tho.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:11 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Never heard of her.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:13 PM

537 posts, read 740,476 times
Friends don't let friends tweet or Face. It's called data-mining.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,951 times
Most liberals I talk to (myself included) support gun safety. She's right, guns will always be apart of American culture... the least we can do is educate gun owners about safe handling/use/storage.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Most liberals I talk to (myself included) support gun safety. She's right, guns will always be apart of American culture... the least we can do is educate gun owners about safe handling/use/storage.
which is why i support her efforts. and yes i am a conservative.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:24 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,701 times
"questionable mental capacity"

aka there's nothing wrong with him but i have to make excuses everytime a gun owner ****s up.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,701 times
Quote:
Change the word gun in this quote to drugs, and suddenly conservatives' positions do a complete 180.

Baffling.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM

46,317 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Can you please tell me how many people in 2011 were killed by shotguns and rifles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies