Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times

Advertisements

I can't wait till our money is worth absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Are you registered in your new state? Your voice is most powerful at the local level. It's easy to complain about not having a voice while not caring enough to speak up. Take steps now to find out what is going on in your district, who your representatives are and what they are doing. Register to vote there, and follow through with getting involved.
I still need to.
I also think this is something my grandmother might like to do with me, she's always been really into being into things.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,776 times
Neither?

I'm not happy with it, but I'm also not passionate enough to hate it. I don't think our government structure needs to be destroyed. It has good bones, but it's been tainted by the corrupt politicians, special interests, etc.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
FDR was one of the worst presidents this country has ever had. Lincoln, Hoover, and LBJ as well.
True.

Lincoln is to blame for setting us on a course of ever increasing Federal Government power and control. FDR then gave that effort a big boost. Both were smart enough to know what they were doing. Obama is continuing in their footsteps but he's too dumb to understand.

So today, we have a big, bloated, powerful, expensive, dysfunctional, Crony Capitalist Federal Government that will never stop growing until it implodes.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,517,815 times
I think kicking the lobbyists out of DC would be a good start. Term limits and my most important change would be to ban using advertisements for candidates.

The public should learn about the candidates through debates. And raise the voting age to 21.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Meh, our government is a government, what can I say. I don't hate them nor do I like them. I like what one of our great Prime Ministers once said, "All governments are bad!!! it's up to the voters to chose the one that's the least bad".

Now, the head of our government, that is a different story. I love her and long may she reign. God save the Queen!!!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think kicking the lobbyists out of DC would be a good start. Term limits and my most important change would be to ban using advertisements for candidates.

The public should learn about the candidates through debates. And raise the voting age to 21.
No, keep it at 18 but get your kids interested in politics, raise them to know they are important.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Potential solutions:

Campaign finance reform changed to a system where all contributions were strictly limited to sums too low to buy favor from any sources of combination of sources. Advertizing time for TV/Radio debates would either be purchased by the government or be part of a tax on the private sector communications media.

Install an income tax on All Income from All Sources on individual income or unspent corporate profit. This tax would have a progressive rate and a 95th percentile base deduction.

Eliminate the cap on income subject to Social Security and recalculate the rate

Reinstate a universal draft that cannot be avoided by anyone but the truly crippled and insane.

Provide Universal health care system where all the medical situations are paid for at costs with no private sector insurance company involvement at all. Include strict control of medical center administrative and executive costs as well.

Revise our Foreign Policy to eliminate our current role of “cop of the world” and most of our overseas military involvement. The world has grown up so they should pay for defending their own investments.

Us our reduced foreign responsibilities to divert military production to civilian projects in energy, water supply and waste treatment, high speed rail, repair and upgrade of roads, bridges and drainage and improved water supply for the Western states.

This are some of the ways government could make our country a better place for all of us instead of just the connected few that own and profit from our current government.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,517,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No, keep it at 18 but get your kids interested in politics, raise them to know they are important.
They're just going to vote the way their parents (Mom) tells them to. If you wait until they are 21 they will be much more independent minded. Plus they can legally have a beer while they watch the returns.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,072,496 times
It's not an either/or situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies