Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
re-read your previous post to me.
Can you try English this time?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:17 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
There is no freedom from religion.

This is why lefties are so wrong about everything.
So you are saying religion can be forced on the nation and there is nothing that can be done about that in the right wing mind?

Do explain

Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's in my face. Using your logic, I could argue I desere freedom from it. As long as the Congress does not promote religion, we are fine Constitutionwise.
So is your face in my face.
Using your logic, I could run around naked in public spaces with no repercussions and you'd better like it.
After all, it's my religion.
By using public space for your religion, it is promoting religion.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Perry is far worse. The guy is dumb as hell and makes W look like a genius, he makes the GOP and especially those in Texas look like a bunch of fools as well that they will vote for any complete moron, just as long as that (R) is next to their name,..

pretty much

Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
There is no freedom from religion.

This is why lefties are so wrong about everything.
It rick perry's quote. If there is no freedom from religion...as he thinks there is...why does he need a law to protect against it?

That's like saying there are no spaghetti monsters, but to make sure, were gonna pass a law outlawing spaghetti monsters.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Rick Perry is an embarrassment to this state. It's high time we voted his dumb ass out of office.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:43 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your comment is a blatant lie.
No one ever said that.
It violates my rights to use public property to promote your religious beliefs.
Lets look at Rawstory alone to see how they're reacting to this news: some flat out say they believe they should have the right to not be exposed to religion...or simply don't understand that freedom from being force-fed religion is covered by "Congress shall MAKE NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion". A street preacher or a valedictorian mentioning God in their speech is not the Government establishing religion.

"I shouldn't have to CHOOSE not to listen to the Jehova's Witnesses handing out pamphlets in the street. They shouldn't be allowed to do it. Freedom of religion means COMPLETE FREEDOM of religion meaning I shouldn't have hear a thing about it walking down the street, I shouldn't have to see billboards advertising churches, and I shouldn't have to answer my door on a Sunday afternoon to a catholic asking me if I've found the lord and savior. "

"So, I can expect to be force fed religion because everyone has the right to tell me how to believe?..... "

"Freedom from religion means that one religion is not allowed to impose its views on others. So there Mr. Perry."

I could ferret out dozens more examples from around the web, but I don't have the time to do so right now.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:16 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Freedom OF Religion means that, not Freedom FROM Religion.

Freedom OF Religion: The ability to practice what religion you choose, how you choose to practice it, where, when, etc...

Freedom FROM Religion: The requirement that you not encounter or be exposed to Religion.
Well, freedom FROM religion is impossible. It's like saying "I don't care for the color blue. Therefore, I want the color blue banned from the public square."

Silly.

However, I think the spirit of the phrase in the Constitution regarding establishing a religion would cover the non-religious in the sense that nobody could be compelled to practice any religion, and nobody who is non-religious should be treated any differently, or discriminated against in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you are right. but I am glad to see the God haters out in force here. They are on full display for the world to see.
How can you "hate" what you don't believe in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The anti-religion crowd seems to interpret 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion,' to mean that if they're exposed to religion in any way, shape, or form it violates their rights. You don't have to recognize any religion, but you can't stop anyone else from practicing theirs.
I'm not a believer, but I find a lot of worth in the religions and scriptures of the world. I would never try to prevent anyone from practicing their beliefs as long as they aren't harming anyone or impinging on anyone else's rights. In my opinion, the fact that there are houses of worship from different faiths everywhere and displays of religious beliefs isn't harmful, and I don't feel it impinges on my rights. It's part of living in a society. There are going to be people with different customs, traits, beliefs and practices than you. Diversity. It ain't a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
My guess is that they define hearing anything they don't like being "forced", that they should be able to go through life and only ever encounter or experience that which they choose to.
You could say the same thing about the neocons who are always whining and shrieking about homosexuals and same sex marriage. They don't like it, and as it becomes more accepted and commonly legal, they scream like little girls about how it is ruining their own marriages and degrading civilization and go on and on about how homosexuality is being forced down everyone's throats and all kinds of other hypocritical, bigoted BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Words can be misleading. The Constitution does not talk about freedom from religion, but freedom of religion. It's the right to worship anywhere and anytime.
Right. Or to choose not to. And to not have any stigma associated with a person's wishes not to participate in a religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Confused Lefties are trying their damnedest to convince people that there is a right not to hear someone talk about religion or see someone pray. There is NO such right. Nobody is forcing you at gun point to swallow the pill. Just walk away and mind your business...Again, just mind your business.
Again, this exact same thing applies to the neocons who constantly decry homosexuality and same sex marriage, etc. It's a very hypocritical stance. I am not saying you are such a hypocrite as I don't know your views on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ah, you christers.
Didn't you all whine when the muslims tried to build a community center near the site of the WTC?
True. For those who felt that way, it is a truly hypocritical stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
...some flat out say they believe they should have the right to not be exposed to religion...
Yeah, that is ridiculous. How could that even happen?

Again, as a nonbeliever, if there was a movement to prevent people from practicing their spiritual beliefs (again, as long as they are not harmful to others or an imposition on the rights of others) I would be fighting right alongside the believers for their right to worship as they see fit.

People forget: Nobody has the right to NOT be offended. Something, somewhere will always be offensive to someone. We have to learn to mind our business, treat others with respect, embrace our differences, and get along. Nobody should expect to be able to navigate around in this world and never encounter things they don't like. The trick is to let other people live the way they wish to and to endorse equality.

As a nonbeliever, I have never been offended by someone saying "God bless you" to me, or by a Christmas display, etc.

Heck, I LOVE Christmas.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
celebrating their culture in public schools. They pay taxes too.
again, why do other people have to have their rights suppressed to appease others?

really? are you ok with muslim students praying to allah whatever how many times a day in public school?
Jersey public schools for one.
I went to H.R. Edmunds in Northeast Philly back in the 80s and we had "christmas concerts" and even sang joy to the world and silent night. Nobody had a hissy fit over it. The jewish kids and their parents even enjoyed it.
My older daughter graduated in 1996 in NY, before 9/11. Back then all the Muslim students prayed before school started. Nobody cared. If any student, whatever religion, wanted to pray during school, they could to THEMSELVES anytime they wanted. Wrong?

It seems to me that it is the Christians in today's world who have gotten far more militant, and want everyone to cater to THEM. As an Agnostic, no thank you. Keep your religion, any one, to yourself. I know ALL religions want converts. Goodbye, to all of you.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Rick Perry is an embarrassment to this state. It's high time we voted his dumb ass out of office.
I feel sorry for patriots like yourself that have to deal with complete morons, just because all the brainwashed rednecks and other idiots punch (R) on election day no matter who the person is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies