Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 PM

175 posts, read 733,865 times

Advertisements

Liberals seem to "champion" the plight of the underprivileged, "disenfranchised", gays, and individuals who without their help (supposedly) could not "make it" in America. Does it strike anyone else as odd that anytime a member of one of these "championed" groups has a different set of beliefs, morals, and opinions these "liberals" attack them like a pack of rabid dogs? It would seem to me any well educated outspoken member of a minority group that is successful poses a huge threat to the liberal ideology. Why are conservatives given the title as "racist" and why are liberals allowed to get a get out of jail free card? Why is it ok for a Democrat to call Clearance Thomas, Colin Powell, or Condi Rice an "Uncle Tom" and get away with it, but people are outraged when a conservative voices an equally offensive opinion. In closing if you do not fall in line and fit the stereotype portrayed you will be labeled "uppity" and how dare anyone think for themselves these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Shoot, from the headline I thought this was going to be about a sale.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:25 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsitgoingdude3 View Post
Liberals seem to "champion" the plight of the underprivileged, "disenfranchised", gays, and individuals who without their help (supposedly) could not "make it" in America. Does it strike anyone else as odd that anytime a member of one of these "championed" groups has a different set of beliefs, morals, and opinions these "liberals" attack them like a pack of rabid dogs?
Which liberals? I want to hear some of the rabid doggery. Does it come from mainstream "liberals" or from Sean Hannity's imaginary left wing-MoveOn.org-George Soros conspiracy?

Quote:
It would seem to me any well educated outspoken member of a minority group that is successful poses a huge threat to the liberal ideology.
You mean Martin Luther King, Al Sharpton, Malcolm X, Cynthia Tucker, Dave Chapelle, Barack Obama... ?

Quote:
Why is it ok for a Democrat to call Clearance Thomas, Colin Powell, or Condi Rice an "Uncle Tom" and get away with it,
Is it? Where's the evidence?

Quote:
In closing if you do not fall in line and fit the stereotype portrayed you will be labeled "uppity" and how dare anyone think for themselves these days.
"Uppity?" I thought that was a term conservatives used back in the old days. Haven't heard it except in historical novels.

But, to answer your excessively combatively phrased question, I would imagine that some people in the black community might consider right-wing black politicians to be "Uncle Toms" in the sense that right-wing ideology is generally regarded as being pro-rich, pro-white, pro-establishment, etc. I don't share that view myself and would be very condescending (maybe that's the word) to hold it if I did, since I'm white.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Which liberals? I want to hear some of the rabid doggery. Does it come from mainstream "liberals" or from Sean Hannity's imaginary left wing-MoveOn.org-George Soros conspiracy?

You mean Martin Luther King, Al Sharpton, Malcolm X, Cynthia Tucker, Dave Chapelle, Barack Obama... ?

Is it? Where's the evidence?

"Uppity?" I thought that was a term conservatives used back in the old days. Haven't heard it except in historical novels.

But, to answer your excessively combatively phrased question, I would imagine that some people in the black community might consider right-wing black politicians to be "Uncle Toms" in the sense that right-wing ideology is generally regarded as being pro-rich, pro-white, pro-establishment, etc. I don't share that view myself and would be very condescending (maybe that's the word) to hold it if I did, since I'm white.
And stupidly hypocritical for those members of the black community to hold it, which was the OP's point.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:27 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,453,103 times
I changed Clearance to Clarence in the title.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:29 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I changed Clearance to Clarence in the title.
It was more interesting as Clearance.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:31 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
It was more interesting as Clearance.
You know, it was?

I wanted to get in line for a toy train and a Dennis Kucinich bobblehead.

P.s. This is Thomas....

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...ne-works-1.jpg

Last edited by Yeledaf; 10-12-2007 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
Then there was the comment, "Happy Negro" hurled at Juan Williams--very little mentioned about that. It is okay when a lib loon says it. Can you imagine if a conservative dared to say such a thing??!! Off subject, but the media has it all tied up don't they?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:14 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Liberals seem to "champion" the plight of the underprivileged, "disenfranchised", gays, and individuals who without their help (supposedly) could not "make it" in America. Does it strike anyone else as odd that anytime a member of one of these "championed" groups has a different set of beliefs, morals, and opinions these "liberals" attack them like a pack of rabid dogs? It would seem to me any well educated outspoken member of a minority group that is successful poses a huge threat to the liberal ideology. Why are conservatives given the title as "racist" and why are liberals allowed to get a get out of jail free card? Why is it ok for a Democrat to call Clearance Thomas, Colin Powell, or Condi Rice an "Uncle Tom" and get away with it, but people are outraged when a conservative voices an equally offensive opinion. In closing if you do not fall in line and fit the stereotype portrayed you will be labeled "uppity" and how dare anyone think for themselves these days.

what i don't like about clarence thomas is that he seems to be hypocritical. on the one hand, he seems bitter about the racism that he face when he was younger, yet seems closed minded when it comes to adjusting the wrongs of the past for his people, just a carbon copy of that nazi scalia.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:27 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,693 times
Quote:

I've never understood why or how anyone could reasonably call Rice or Powell those names- other than to hurt them and their boss (President Bush). Powell is man who actively talks about a time when the military was segregated and Executive order that desegregated the military. Dr. Rice talks about growing up in "Bombingham" and quite honestly both of their stories are classic American Success stories. former Prime Minister Tony Blair even said a "Collin Powell" could never happen in Great Britain (paying a compliment to America- even with all of our "problems" there's an opportunity for anyone to be anything).

In terms of the liberals/conservatives back and forth- it's really all a media manipulation game. I got caught up into it a bit but I see it for what it is. I'll vote my conscience and vote for the best person to move the country forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies