Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times

Advertisements

Jury selection in this case has proven to be more interesting than in most cases as a result of the intense media coverage prior to trial. So far, potential jurors have been questioned only about their knowledge regarding this incident. There have been a number of very strong-minded jurors, judging from their responses to the questions they have been asked, and many have already been excused. This is the start of Day 5 of jury selection.

"Dozens of jurors summoned to the Seminole County criminal courthouse so far this week have been sent home because of their views on the case.
Attorneys in the case hope to get 40 jurors — up from their earlier goal of 30 — through the pretrial publicity phase, before moving on to a more-traditional, group jury selection process. Ultimately, they're looking for 10 Seminole County residents: Six jurors and four alternates who'll decide the case."

George Zimmerman trial: Day 5 of jury selection in Trayvon Martin shooting - OrlandoSentinel.com

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 06-14-2013 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: typo in thread title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Jury selection in this case has proven to be more interesting than in most cases as a result of the intense media coverage prior to trial. So far, potential jurors have been questioned only about their knowledge regarding this incident. There have been a number of very strong-minded jurors, judging from their responses to the questions they have been asked, and many have already been excused. This is the start of Day 5 of jury selection.

"Dozens of jurors summoned to the Seminole County criminal courthouse so far this week have been sent home because of their views on the case.
Attorneys in the case hope to get 40 jurors — up from their earlier goal of 30 — through the pretrial publicity phase, before moving on to a more-traditional, group jury selection process. Ultimately, they're looking for 10 Seminole County residents: Six jurors and four alternates who'll decide the case."

George Zimmerman trial: Day 5 of jury selection in Trayvon Martin shooting - OrlandoSentinel.com

ETA: "trialman" in the title of thread is a typo. The word should simply be "Trial."

The questions will get more intense as the numbers fall, believe me. The Judge reversed her decision on not sequestering the jurors. It was a smart move on her part.

BTW, you can change the title of your thread by clicking edit, then go advanced. I discovered that by accident when I totally screwed up one of my thread titles.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
I live in Seminole county, I'm glad I didn't get a jury notice.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The questions will get more intense as the numbers fall, believe me. The Judge reversed her decision on not sequestering the jurors. It was a smart move on her part.

BTW, you can change the title of your thread by clicking edit, then go advanced. I discovered that by accident when I totally screwed up one of my thread titles.
Agree regarding the questions. I've been listening during this week via live streaming because it's not being broadcast in full on any TV channels.

Thanks for the info on editing the thread title.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I live in Seminole county, I'm glad I didn't get a jury notice.
If you have really strong opinions about this case, it probably is good for you that you didn't get called for the jury. Saved you a trip to the courthouse. These attys seem to be very good at weeding out people with strong opinions (either way). Even when people say they know little to nothing about the case, upon further questioning it comes out that some know much more than they realized, and, of course, in a couple of cases, it turned out that at least one of the jurors had actually commented about this case on social media.

Also, if you had been called and questioned, you would have had to tell them about CD.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
If you have really strong opinions about this case, it probably is good for you that you didn't get called for the jury. Saved you a trip to the courthouse. These attys seem to be very good at weeding out people with strong opinions (either way). Even when people say they know little to nothing about the case, upon further questioning it comes out that some know much more than they realized, and, of course, in a couple of cases, it turned out that at least one of the jurors had actually commented about this case on social media.

Also, if you had been called and questioned, you would have had to tell them about CD.
I look at the negative side. How many lying jurors don't get weeded out in a case like this.

The plus of a 6-member jury is reducing the chances of a stealth juror. The minus is the influence one can have on a smaller jury.

I'll figure they end up with an impartial jury unless there's a strong reason to believe otherwise.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I look at the negative side. How many lying jurors don't get weeded out in a case like this.

The plus of a 6-member jury is reducing the chances of a stealth juror. The minus is the influence one can have on a smaller jury.

I'll figure they end up with an impartial jury unless there's a strong reason to believe otherwise.
I agree, surely they miss some jurors who are lying in order to get on the jury. I thought the question asked by either State or Defense (can't remember) regarding whether or not they could stand up for their position in the jury room, even if everyone else disagreed with them was interesting. That trait could go either way, to influence or to obstruct.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Dismissed potential juror E7 (the Coffee Party Progessive poster) was banned from the courthouse when he tried to go back today. He's upset that he was identified. He shouldn't be on the jury but the court made big error by not muting the mike before naming the website and the date his post was made.

Dismissed juror in Zimmerman trial returns to court, gets... | www.wftv.com

Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
I agree, surely they miss some jurors who are lying in order to get on the jury. I thought the question asked by either State or Defense (can't remember) regarding whether or not they could stand up for their position in the jury room, even if everyone else disagreed with them was interesting. That trait could go either way, to influence or to obstruct.
It is an interesting twist. People want to be on this jury and are lying to get on it.

A couple of years ago I was on the jury for a murder trial. In that case most people were lying to get off it.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Now that people know they will be sequestered, it will become much harder to select a jury. Not too many people want to be locked away from their lives for a month or two and if all you have to do is say that you are hopelessly biased and get off the list that is what people are going to do. I would personally tell any lie necessary or serve a few days in jail for contempt rather than be part of a sequestered jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies