Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 01:49 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,575,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He is perfectly within his rights to wear the T-shirt off school property, maybe you missed the part about the school dress code or maybe you think they shouldn't have any rules. Plenty of businesses and organizations private and public have rules if you don't like them then go to home schooling, you don't get to choose your rights on school property.

The usual "violating our constitution" with anything relating to guns.
So you are saying the Constitution doesn't apply on school grounds? That's freaking ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,575,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
-My kids were not home schooled - in fact they were not schooled at all...and all of my adult kids are doing well in the world and are contributors to society. When my youngest son said after moving into the city from the country that he felt unsafe in his urban school...I told him to do what he wants...So he left---He has a lot of talent- is good looking...intelligent and he will do well no matter what- The eldest daughter travels around the nation and the world working for an NGO- no formal education..Just a bright and confident young woman....I guess what I am trying to say is - I gave them nothing except ethics and the total ability to think for themselves...THAT and that alone has made them valuable citizens that are NOT institutionalized drones.

As far as the state attacking a 14 year old CHILD being attacked by the state...shame on the state...How are we going to have leaders in the future if we crush independent minds?
great post Oleg. Sounds like you did right by your family. Good for you. Organized education is over-rated, just like organized religioun.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
So you are saying the Constitution doesn't apply on school grounds? That's freaking ridiculous.
The Supreme Court has ruled that schools can go here if they do so in the interest of keeping peace in the school.

Such as if someone wore gang colors and it was causing fights. It would seem that the only person that had a problem here was the school.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:02 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,399,595 times
If the teacher did get fired or for some other reason was unable to continue to teach he could always get a job at the IRS. I'm sure his skills harassing conservatives would be invaluable there.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM

46,986 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
The concept you're looking for is "in loco parentis". Minors don't enjoy full Constitutional rights (nor responsibilities), that's up to the adults whose care they're in, most often the parents.

When they're entrusted to the school's care, the school's officials have the authority to enforce decisions regarding school matters - the kids are there to be educated, and their self-expression, even when backed by the First Amendment, takes a back seat to that.

Tinker v Des Moines

So much for principle. In this case, the school administrators appear to have taken some provocateur's bait and I honestly don't know who of those involved is the biggest asshat: The administrator, the police officer or the obnoxious teenager. (I do know that I should be immensely grateful that I didn't grow up in Steubenville.)

Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It could be possibly because back in our day, teachers were allowed to physically touch a student to restrain them or to guide them into a particular area so they could be spoken to in private. Not anymore; many teachers are terrified to put a hand on a student for any reason whatsoever, so they call the police instead. Sad state of affairs.
exactly right.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,297,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
If the teacher did get fired or for some other reason was unable to continue to teach he could always get a job at the IRS. I'm sure his skills harassing conservatives would be invaluable there.
True, but then they might not be 14 year olds.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,399,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
True, but then they might not be 14 year olds.

True but he'd also be much more intimidating as an IRS henchman than a public school teacher and he would probably be doing it anonymously anyway.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,297,160 times
Teachers can be veeery intimidating to some students....this one probably gets off on it, and it'd be no fun if done anonymously, and towards an adult.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Well put him in a cell next to the kid who's in jail for biting a pop tart into the shape of a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies