Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Whatever happened to idea of people buying long term disability insurance?

Does everything have to be provided by the government now?
Well I guess people don't need to go to the private market....you are correct, it's provided by the government.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Well I have to say since the examples I gave are all people I know personally - none are what I would classify as lazy. In fact, all except "Person A" worked hard and paid taxes up until they were unable to work because of illness. They were obese, plus they worked, and worked hard and paid taxes. In fact wife in Couple A is a close friend and was so determined to avoid getting assistance that at one point a few years ago she was gravely ill but still working three jobs until her doctor threatened her with dialysis and a death sentence if she did not quit work.

I'm not looking to demonize fat people or smokers or people on disability.

I'm just looking to figure out what % of people on disability are there because they made crappy lifestyle choices. Because that knowledge is the only thing that can spark change.
So, in 1987, while on active duty, I rotated my right ankle inward 180 degrees, the bottom of my foot was facing up. Since then, due to falls associated with the ankle, I have ripped the acl in my right knee, damaged the cart in both knees, and developed DJD in the left ankle.

In 2011, my right leg buckled causing me a fall that ended with a mild concussion, and tinitus that hasn't quit.

In Jan of 2012, my right knee buckled, and I broke my right hand in 2 places requiring surgery, it's still not, and will never be 100% functional again.

Over the past decade, I have fallen and broken bones at least 11 times, and had various other injuries due to the falls.

Prior to all this, I ran 3-5 miles several times a week, worked out at least 2 times a week. Now, I cannot walk through a grocery store without stopping for a break due to pain in my right leg, cannot dance, cannot walk in the sand, cannot run after my grand daughter. I guess my crappy lifestyle choice was becoming a submarine sailor to do my part in protecting this great nation. Silly me.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,591 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any statistics on the percentage of people on disability due to lifestyle choices? I couldn't find anything. And given the recent rampant surge of obesity and the fact it is now considered a "disease" I suspect the number of people getting federal assistance for disability will explode in the next decade or so.

I got to thinking today about the people I know for whom disability checks is their only income. Almost all had horrible lifestyles and are not that old.

Couple A: She has been obese her entire life. Poor diet, zero exercise. Late 50s, now 100% disabled because of serious complications from diabetes. Her husband is in his early 50s, also obese, and a smoker, has bad heart/pacemaker and is on 100% disability.
Couple B: She has been obese most of her life. Poor diet, zero exercise...is on 100% disability for bad heart, diabetes, two knee replacements. She is 58. Her husband is 61 and also is considered 100% disabled because he has severe COPD. Fat and a long-time smoker (to his credit he quit about 10 years ago.)
Person A: Obese, smoker, alcoholic, 62 years old. On disability for substance addiction and spinal stenosis.
Person B: Smoker, alcoholic, 55 yo on disability for multiple strokes and now partially blind.
Person C: Late 50s, not obese but smoker, on 100% disability for congestive heart failure and has a pacemaker.

Actually the only other person I know of personally who is on disability is on it because of some horrid genetic snafu for early arthritis...she is 55 and was at one point a competitive body builder and does not smoke or drink but has had several joint replacements and is facing more at 54 years old...I think her case is righteous.
You can't get on disability for substance addiction in the U.S.

There was a time back in the 80s you could.

You can get on disability for problems that resulted from your substances addiction though.

If you're jealous why not just become a meth addict and mess your body up?

You're envious of the wrong grass on the other side. You're 10 cents being taken to add with other people's 10 cents for some chump change $600 or so a month disability check is not crushing your life. If it is you don't have real problems. Which means maybe you ought go use some meth. Once you start losing your teeth and life to that then you'll wish this worry over the poor and screwed up on disability was the worst of your concerns.

Geez.... I understand more and more how someone can have $30 billion and $70 billion dollars. I could live off of $1 billion for my life like a pimp. Get three annuities for 20 years each, kicking in back to back with the first one immediately. All three for $200 million each. About $100 million from each will go to Uncle Sam off the top. Then I'll get hit with a 10% tax for having annuity payout before I'm age 65. Basically, after all the taxes I'll still be drawing in about $200,000 to $375,000 a month in annuity payments to me. And still have $400 million (taxable of course) left to do with what I want.

I'd gladly give half my income to taxes then. As a "super-rich" person.

But the taxes are severe on the lower rich that make $100,000 to a few million a year. So, I empathize with them. But they're not necessarily in the dog house either. People need to be grateful for what they have. Even their good choices.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
You can't get on disability for substance addiction in the U.S.

There was a time back in the 80s you could.

You can get on disability for problems that resulted from your substances addiction though.

If you're jealous why not just become a meth addict and mess your body up?

You're envious of the wrong grass on the other side. You're 10 cents being taken to add with other people's 10 cents for some chump change $600 or so a month disability check is not crushing your life. If it is you don't have real problems. Which means maybe you ought go use some meth. Once you start losing your teeth and life to that then you'll wish this worry over the poor and screwed up on disability was the worst of your concerns.

Geez.... I understand more and more how someone can have $30 billion and $70 billion dollars. I could live off of $1 billion for my life like a pimp. Get three annuities for 20 years each, kicking in back to back with the first one immediately. All three for $200 million each. About $100 million from each will go to Uncle Sam off the top. Then I'll get hit with a 10% tax for having annuity payout before I'm age 65. Basically, after all the taxes I'll still be drawing in about $200,000 to $375,000 a month in annuity payments to me. And still have $400 million (taxable of course) left to do with what I want.

I'd gladly give half my income to taxes then. As a "super-rich" person.

But the taxes are severe on the lower rich that make $100,000 to a few million a year. So, I empathize with them. But they're not necessarily in the dog house either. People need to be grateful for what they have. Even their good choices.

Actually you can still get on disability for substance addiction...they changed the terminology and requirements but it's still there. I can dig up the link for you if you want.

Secondly, you seem to think I am jealous of people on disability?!
Huh?
Not sure where you get that. I've never taken a dime of money in UA or disability and have been primarily self-employed and working and paying taxes since the late 1970s. I'm not in the slightest bit "envious" of people on disability...the ones I know get about $700 per month because they didn't make a whole lot in their working lives.

I make significantly more than that working and hope to keep it that way as long as I can.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
I'm sure there are quite a few former athletes who are disabled

Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
My sister has a step son on disability... Guess what for... He is a heroin addict.. Some disability... Makes her mad and me too...He is in jail at the moment, where he belongs, but he is still drawing his check each and every month.. It's outrageous...

Old 06-22-2013, 06:43 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I know quite a few people on full disability. 99% of them are merely fat and lazy. If they would stop being so damned lazy, their fat would disappear. Problem solved.

I hate it. I despise it!
Same here. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever actually met someone on disability who wasn't just milking the system because they're too lazy to get a job. Then there are people who actually do have serious problems, but they get denied and waste years in a failed appeals process.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:54 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed! Drug overdose complications, obesity, alcoholism, all qualifying factors. I'm stumping around on half a leg on one side, 30 years been playing that game, now, it's breaking open, ulcerating, degenerative BD bas set in, and I couldn't qualify for SSDI. I wasn't out begging for that car to hit me, so the driver could say, "so sorry, I just didn't see you', in broken English, and not be insured. Took me two years before I could walk without aid. A year of wearing a brace, and I manaved to work while in that state. I was a LOT younger tben though.

But, some clown who fried his brain with Meth, can draw disability. Now that this injury has caught up with me, and Father Time has worked me over, I can't. Worked my whole life, paid into the system and then some, wow. Our good ol' nanny state.....
You have to appeal the decision. My husband has MS and he had to appeal to get SSD.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. Did you appeal? My understanding, from several chronically ill people I know, is that most people have to appeal. Hell, I know a woman who had to get an attorney to appeal, even though she had advanced MS.

None of these people are lazy, most have, like you, worked for years and paid into the system. You can't get SSDI if you haven't worked. And you cannot get it for simply being obese. legalsea has explained this recently.
Exactly!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,591 times
Quote:
Actually you can still get on disability for substance addiction...they changed the terminology and requirements but it's still there. I can dig up the link for you if you want.
Okay, I'll take your word for it. It might be technically you can, however, in practice no one does.

I say this because 99% of the crack addicts running around Milwaukee and the United States that are working age males are not on disability. In general, it's very difficult to get on disability in the U.S.

I'm just tripping off of always hearing about how someone making $5 million or $10 million or more a year can't live like a pimp because of Uncle Sam and the poor. Them same people turn around and complain the poor--even drug addicted with screwed up health--are living like major pimps off of $600 a month.

Quote:
Secondly, you seem to think I am jealous of people on disability?!
Huh?
Yeah, I do.

I think you fell they're getting a free ride and something enjoyable you're not. I hear this same thing in people that complain prisoners are on lavish vacations. Notice none of them complaining want to take a "vacation" in one of those U.S. prisons.

Prisoners get some free stuff too. But I'm happy I'm not in there.

What I want to know is how both Bill Gates and Carlos Slim's fat a__ each have net worths over $70 billion each? What the h__ they going with all that money, collecting it? Like its baseball cards. Carlos Slim's old and fat a___ should be most ashamed seeing all those poor a___ Mexicans living in his country.

Then I want to know why the world's billionaire list is so d__ long? And not just long but so many with multiple billions.

Then you have the rich like this Florida rapper where buying a $1.7 million car isn't enough, he has to paint it gold.

Yahoo!

Quote:
This shiny object is a custom Bugatti Veyron owned by rapper Flo Rida, real name Tramar Dillard. The $1.7 million car started out life in a pearlescent white hue but Flo Rida eventually got bored of this and went with a chrome finish.

Metro Wrapz - Flo Rida's Gold Bugatti at Forgiato Fest 2013 - YouTube

Fat people on disability or toothless meth heads ain't the question to me. Their lives suck. And I'm not fat (partly because I'm ectomoroph and have a high metabolism) and have no desire to be. I want to live Like Carlos Slim and this rapper with his $1.7 million car (except I don't want that car--an Audi would do or Bentley or Rolls if I really had to pimp out).

Quote:
Not sure where you get that. I've never taken a dime of money in UA or disability and have been primarily self-employed and working and paying taxes since the late 1970s. I'm not in the slightest bit "envious" of people on disability...the ones I know get about $700 per month because they didn't make a whole lot in their working lives.

I make significantly more than that working and hope to keep it that way as long as I can.
Well... the poor control squat, so, I don't think you have to worry about the fact, ugly, disabled, and meth-fried people to be the cause of you going into the poor house. Didn't a bunch of rich people gather at some Bilderberg meeting or something? Don't our President graduate from Harvard, Yale, LSE, and prestigious universities? Crackheads in Compton, California don't run the United States or ship jobs off to foreign lands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies