Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 05:46 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,499,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
True, but I think that having a rational debate is still more productive because those on the other side of the fence can either choose to have a rational debate, or they become defensive and resort to name calling. Saying "I told you so" just angers people and makes them even more closed to rational reasoning than before
I'd agree in theory, but what then is the proper approach to those who were told what not to do, and why, and what the logical consequences of doing it anyway would be, who then did do it anyway, and for just the reasons originally specified, saw the logical consequences in fact ensue? Free pass for them, or is some actual accounting to be expected?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Maybe most of the voters are intellectually inferior to 5th graders...?
That possibility was certainly considered...

Old 11-23-2007, 05:55 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
It's amazing that people resent others because of money. Class envy at work.
That may be the case with many people, but I would also say that someone who has worked for what they have might understand the needs of the majority of the citizens in this country a little more. Those who were born into a wealthy family are the minority and really have no clue what it means to have to work full time while going to college because we have a leader like Bush who decides it's better to bomb another country rather than help more people go to college (reduction of pell grants, etc). People who never had to work for what they have don't get that if more people could afford to go to college this society would be better off. They have no clue that people whose families aren't rich have to struggle to better themselves. I'm not saying everyone should get a handout, but it would be nice if some of our leaders knew what it's really like to work hard to get out of the rut of living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,356,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That possibility was certainly considered...
The only ones who were dumber were the couple dozen who thought Kerry'd be a viable alternative.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:06 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,262,541 times
I understand what you are saying however, I don't believe everyone who comes from money does not work hard, and doesn't understand how it is for the majority of Americans.

In the spectrum of things you are better off than many correct? Are you capable of understanding what people who are worse off than you are experiencing? If you are the intelligent and sensitive person you appear to be then of course you do. I believe Bush had good parents who raised him well and from what I have read were quite strict. He may have been born with the proverbial silver spoon but I am willing to bet he had to do some chores around the ole Bush household before he sat down at the dinner table to eat with it.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
...but I am willing to bet he had to do some chores around the ole Bush household before he sat down at the dinner table to eat with it.
Hopefully, he tended to those with a little more care than the ones he was entrusted with as President, or ole Babs might have bashed the poor boy senseless!

Hey, wait a minute...

Old 11-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Oh, okay. Its just that your examples made Bush out to be such a patently idiotic buffoon, that it seems amazing that he would receive more votes than any other Presidential candidate in the history of the Repulbic.

Maybe most of the voters are intellectually inferior to 5th graders...?
I wouldn't argue that. Sorry, but someone who is the figurehead of this country should not be saying such idiotic things as he has in speeches, which are broadcast worldwide. No wonder much of the rest of the world thinks Americans are stupid. He is a buffoon. I really resent that he changed the spelling of "nuclear" into "nucular". Sorry, but an atom does not have a "nuculous". I especially resent that members of the media went along with his mistake and are now pronouncing the word incorrectly. He is an idiotic buffoon.

Case in point:

" "More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming out any other way." --George W. Bush, Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007"

Someone should "learn" this boy the difference between a decade and a century.

""We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease.""

Or the difference between a nation and a continent.

""If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.""

Or what not to say in public.

I got these here

Old 11-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying however, I don't believe everyone who comes from money does not work hard, and doesn't understand how it is for the majority of Americans.

In the spectrum of things you are better off than many correct? Are you capable of understanding what people who are worse off than you are experiencing? If you are the intelligent and sensitive person you appear to be then of course you do. I believe Bush had good parents who raised him well and from what I have read were quite strict. He may have been born with the proverbial silver spoon but I am willing to bet he had to do some chores around the ole Bush household before he sat down at the dinner table to eat with it.
Yes. I agree, there are absolutely many people who are worse off than I am. Hey, I have a college degree, which, in theory, entitles me to a higher paying job (at least until all of our jobs are outsourced and only the uber rich can afford to live in the US). But, I also think that regardless of how many "chores" a person has to do growing up, there's a difference between living paycheck to paycheck and having to work, but knowing you have a rich family to back you up if all goes to hell. Financial stress can be killer, and some people never have any hope of rising above financial hardship just enough to have a few creature comforts. Someone who was born with the proverbial spoon in their mouth never has to feel that hopelessness, no matter how many times they did the dishes growing up.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,356,224 times
Quote:
I wouldn't argue that. Sorry, but someone who is the figurehead of this country should not be saying such idiotic things as he has in speeches, which are broadcast worldwide. No wonder much of the rest of the world thinks Americans are stupid. He is a buffoon. I really resent that he changed the spelling of "nuclear" into "nucular". Sorry, but an atom does not have a "nuculous". I especially resent that members of the media went along with his mistake and are now pronouncing the word incorrectly. He is an idiotic buffoon.

Case in point:

" "More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming out any other way." --George W. Bush, Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007"

Someone should "learn" this boy the difference between a decade and a century.

""We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease.""

Or the difference between a nation and a continent.

""If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.""

Or what not to say in public.

I got these here
I would wager that few of us would want to have every word we utter recorded, parsed, and mocked.

If the rest of the world thinks America is stupid because Bush suffers from malapropisms, that is an indication of the world's shallowness, not ours.

Bush is different from us, though; he laughs about his occasional lapses.

Finally, if you think the President should be above all a good "figurehead", maybe you ought to work for the nomination of Haile Berry...

Old 11-23-2007, 06:43 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,262,541 times
Quote:
Yes. I agree, there are absolutely many people who are worse off than I am. Hey, I have a college degree, which, in theory, entitles me to a higher paying job (at least until all of our jobs are outsourced and only the uber rich can afford to live in the US). But, I also think that regardless of how many "chores" a person has to do growing up, there's a difference between living paycheck to paycheck and having to work, but knowing you have a rich family to back you up if all goes to hell. Financial stress can be killer, and some people never have any hope of rising above financial hardship just enough to have a few creature comforts. Someone who was born with the proverbial spoon in their mouth never has to feel that hopelessness, no matter how many times they did the dishes growing up.
And I agree on several of your points especially about financial stress.

But from what some forum members post it seems like there is resentment. . it is almost reverse discrimination. Rich people can't help it if they were born into money.

Should coming from money disqualify citizens from becoming President?
And does this disqualification only apply to republicans? Surely Kennedy and Kerry (as in Heinz-Kerry) qualify as uber rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies