Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This shows how very little you know about HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES(HBCU). The keyword being HISTORICALLY. These universities were founded because of the bigoted environment in most places, especially in the South. Blacks were not welcomed in universities in the South, and some universities in other regions were reluctant to accept Blacks. That is why HBCUs were formed. And guess what? If a White person wants to attend an HBCU, he or she is welcomed to attend. HBCU's are open to people of all ethnicities. They are called "historically Black" because historically, they were founded to educate Blacks, when many other universities wouldn't accept them. As for places like Harvard, Yale, and UGA, this is how it works. No one would call them "historically White" because these universities are considered the "default" by many. They are considered "the standard" in this nation. Anything that is considered different from "the standard or default" is named as such.
"This shows how very little you know about HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES(HBCU). The keyword being HISTORICALLY"

What does that have to do with today?

This shows you don't know a damn thing about what I know AND don't know.

"HISTORICALLY" blacks weren't considered a whole person. Slavery was legal. How far do you want to back?

The Equal Rights Amendment was signed in 1972. There should be NO "black" colleges. We don't have "white" colleges anymore.

And yes, I know some whites go to these "black" colleges colleges.

I am against discrimination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Did you read the article? HBCUs are losing a significant portion of their revenue due to tightening lending standards. Since Blacks on average have worse credit than Whites parents seeking loans for their kids are increasingly denied.

HBCUs need to become more dynamic in order to compete. If you're a talented black student most likely you're going to have attractive offers from non-HBCUs. Going forward HBCU are going to have to show how they add value or they will die. They can no longer rely on nostalgia.
The student who is having problems obtaining a loan to attend a HBCU will also have a problem obtaining a loan to attend a non-HBCU. This is true even if you are a "talented black student" or a talented student of any type. Not surprisingly these changes will tend to hurt those on the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder, making it more difficult even for talented students to alter their economic status.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"This shows how very little you know about HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES(HBCU). The keyword being HISTORICALLY"

"HISTORICALLY" blacks weren't considered a whole person. Slavery was legal. How far do you want to back?

The Equal Rights Amendment was signed in 1972. There should be NO "black" colleges. We don't have "white" colleges anymore.

The term "black college" means it's reserved for Blacks. HBCU's are not reserved for Blacks. They are open to anyone and everyone. Perhaps you are the one missing MY point.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
I don't see what this personally has to do with Obama. Damn, what do y'all do search the internet for endless hours trying to find this B.S. .Why s much hate for Obama, he is far from the worst President we have had. Everyone knows why you guys truly hate Obama, and it is not his policies.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
This shows how very little you know about HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES(HBCU). The keyword being HISTORICALLY. These universities were founded because of the bigoted environment in most places, especially in the South. Blacks were not welcomed in universities in the South, and some universities in other regions were reluctant to accept Blacks. That is why HBCUs were formed. And guess what? If a White person wants to attend an HBCU, he or she is welcomed to attend. HBCU's are open to people of all ethnicities. They are called "historically Black" because historically, they were founded to educate Blacks, when many other universities wouldn't accept them. As for places like Harvard, Yale, and UGA, this is how it works. No one would call them "historically White" because these universities are considered the "default" by many. They are considered "the standard" in this nation. Anything that is considered different from "the standard or default" is named as such.
Can't believe I had to go this far into the thread before someone pointed out there is no such thing as a black college. If people have a problem with history, they should hop in their time machines and ask their ancestors why mainstream colleges weren't happy welcoming places for black students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're simply mocking blacks for not voting the way you think they should've. Damn...at least be honest. Nevermind consistency...how about honesty?
This basically the reason behind this thread. Most of the posters who post about Obama ruining things for black people couldn't care less about Obama or black people. They just like to say "oh ha ha black people you voted for Obama and now he's messing up your life"

I fully expect to see a thread one day that says "More black women going natural after the price of relaxers increased due to Obama drinking Crystal Light instead of Kool-aid!"

Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:

What does that have to do with today?

your response makes no sense.

1. The equal rights amendment was proposed, not ratified.

2. Even so, all of these HBCU were already in their existence.

3. Do you really not understand that schools did not allow black students acceptance ?

4. although they are called HBCU's white people were always allowed to attend them.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
The term "black college" means it's reserved for Blacks. HBCU's are not reserved for Blacks. They are open to anyone and everyone. Perhaps you are the one missing MY point.
I probably am missing your point.

my apologies, I meant the civil rights Act of 1964, not the Equal Rights Amendment.MY point is, There should be NO "black" colleges. We don't have "white" colleges anymore.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 06-24-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
I probably am missing your point.

MY point is The Equal Rights Amendment was signed in 1972. There should be NO "black" colleges. We don't have "white" colleges anymore.
You are missing his point, there is no "BLACK" Colleges.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
your response makes no sense.

1. The equal rights amendment was proposed, not ratified.

2. Even so, all of these HBCU were already in their existence.

3. Do you really not understand that schools did not allow black students acceptance ?

4. although they are called HBCU's white people were always allowed to attend them.
My apologies. I meant the Civil Rights Act signed in 1964

I KNOW about the past and am glad things have changed. I am talking about from 1964 to TODAY.

Keep in mind "in the past" women weren't allowed into all male colleges like the Citadel. All that changes in 1964.

Either you are for or against discrimination.

What would the NAACP if a colleges today advertised as white college?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
My apologies. I meant the Civil Rights Act signed in 1964

I KNOW about the past and am glad things have changed. I am talking about from 1964 to TODAY.

Keep in mind "in the past" women weren't allowed into all male colleges like the Citadel. All that changes in 1964.

Either you are for or against discrimination.

What would the NAACP if a colleges today advertised as white college?
There are no black colleges. You can say it a million times but that still doesn't make it true. Can you find one document from any HBCU that advertises itself as a black college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies