Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:49 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,528 times

Advertisements

Administrator uses student’s bikini photo in Internet safety seminar

It seems this young lady posted a picture of herself in a bikini on her facebook page, and thought only she and her friends could see it. Well, not true, it was open to EVERYONE.

So, the school used it to prove a point about social media...

Quote:

ATLANTA —
To prove a point about the risks of social media, a local school administrator presented a photo of a bikini-clad student at a district wide seminar.

Now, the woman is suing the school system.
Administrator uses student
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 12:53 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
I'm totally confused since there is nothing wrong with a pic of a17 year old in a bikini (really, there isn't. Even Annette Funicello thought so) but something creepy about a middle aged administrator of her school district seeking out pictures of 17 year old girls in bikinis and using them as entertainment. It's not like she had a "sex tape" that she posted on facebook thinking nobody would see it but, opps.....

One of these things is not like the other.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,340,289 times
How I wish that people understood that if you post something on social media, it CAN be used against you, whether it's by a school, an employer, disability fraud inspectors, insurance companies or the government. It's a given.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,039,185 times
Copyright infringement - but $2 million is excessive to say the least.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,340,289 times
$2 million? I guess the poor thing is scarred for life, now that folks have seen how she and millions like her, dress at the beach.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Copyright infringement - but $2 million is excessive to say the least.
\

It's not copyright infringement.

While I see nothing wrong with a young lady in a bikini, people just don't realize, it's now out there for the world, including creepy middle aged people, to do with whatever they want..

Who Owns Photos and Videos Posted on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter?

Quote:
You may be shocked to find out that once you post on these sites, that although you still “own” the photograph, you grant the social media sites a license to use your photograph anyway they see fit for free AND you grant them the right to let others use you picture as well! This means that not only can Twitter, Twitpic and Facebook make money from the photograph or video (otherwise, a copyright violation), but these sites are making commercial gain by licensing these images, which contains the likeness of the person in the photo or video (otherwise, a violation of their “rights of publicity”).

Old 06-23-2013, 01:15 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,176 times

Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,039,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
\

While I see nothing wrong with a young lady in a bikini, people just don't realize, it's now out there for the world, including creepy middle aged people, to do with whatever they want..

There's actually quite a bit of disagreement on that which I suspect case law will decide in coming years. My point is that is her only leg to stand on.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:23 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,819,686 times
Fair use. Nothing creepy about it. Trying to use as an example. Should have blurred the face in my opinion but did not have to.

Can't claim privacy or such when you publish it publically. The only action would be copyright and that will likely lose on a fair use educational basis.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
\

Unless Facebook granted this administrator license to use the photo for this seminar (which I highly doubt they did), then it still is copyright infringement.

As to her lawsuit, I don't for a minute buy the argument of being damaged due to embarrassment. I mean, the picture shows her clad in a bikini in public. If she's walking around exposing herself in a bikini-clad state to the public, where's the harm in a picture of her in a bikini-clad state being shown to the public?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies