Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:04 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,378 times

Advertisements

Whats everyone take on this story?

Facebook photo of school principal appearing to grab student in chokehold leads to students
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:15 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,285 times
I read the story. What's weird is the students got suspended for posting and sharing the photo and not for fighting (unless I misread). The principal said he had to restrain the female student but he could have done something other than the choke hold. I don't even think the school district did anything about it.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
Wow, she was fast into the neck brace. I call b.s.

"Johnson now blames Whitmire for her injury, which in her at-home interview showed has apparently made her unable to move."

Old 10-10-2013, 04:00 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,648,334 times
One quick instant in a photo doesn't reveal the truth. Most it probably went down as the story said, fighting was going on, people were all over the place, things happen, I don't believe the teacher intentional went up to the girl and put her in a headlock... I wasn't there so I can't say for sure..... but like most stuff, probably BS ginned up by the kids....

Old 10-10-2013, 04:02 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times
My friend works with LLD children at school and they are instructed to restrain unruly children by smother holds.

the problem is that the kids are on meds, and not small, and my friend is not a wrestler.

this is one policy that has to be rethought.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:12 PM

11,775 posts, read 5,787,833 times
Looks to me like he grabbed her around the chest, compressing her arms to her sides. She squirmed and sank down, probably trying to get away and back to the fight - thus giving the illusion that he had a choke hold on her. Love that she couldn't move the day after the accident but was doing quite well come Monday at school.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I read the story. What's weird is the students got suspended for posting and sharing the photo and not for fighting (unless I misread). The principal said he had to restrain the female student but he could have done something other than the choke hold. I don't even think the school district did anything about it.
They did get suspended for fighting, along with ten others who got suspended for the social media postings.

Ever break up a fight between two students? It's like trying to break up a fight between cats. I've broke up a couple and once ended up having to miss over 3 weeks of work with broken ribs and collarbone. I've known quite a few teachers that have gotten broken noses, one broken jaw, and a few broken or damaged hands. Two teachers I know were hurt so bad they were permanently disabled, although I think one of them was more fear of future fights than lasting physical damage. One friend of mine loss 10% usage of her right hand. Teachers are more likely to be seriously hurt than the kids - their bodies are young and they heal much easier than us old fogies. Not only that, some kids just won't stop and if you give them any slack they lunge at the other kids again. He was probably trying to restrain her and she may have moved in a way that left it looking like he was trying to put her in a chokehold.

Quote:
The suspension of the two teens physically involved in the fight has since upped that number to 12.

Seen lying in a neck brace at home Tuesday, Johnson told KTVU that Whitmire's side of the story is a bit farfetched.

"I wasn't fighting back I just laid there on the ground," she said through carefully pressed lips.

Johnson now blames Whitmire for her injury, which in her at-home interview showed has apparently made her unable to move.

A video taken in a classroom Monday by a school resource officer, however, shows her comfortably moving around, the Times reports.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:23 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Maybe have grabbed her by her waist? It is interesting that the faculty is white and the student is black. I wonder if it would have been a different headline if the student was a white female. It possible could be twisted into some sort of molestation charge.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
I think someone's mom quick-talked her into wearing a brace then took pictures.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:59 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Just another dirtbag looking for a payout. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies