Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
I did not know that. (By the way, I'm not advocating for or against this particular Bill.) What kind of restrictions does it place on that? Because it would seem that if the goal of the legislation is to decrease the number of abortions, availability of the morning-after pill would assist in that? (Unless, of course, the authors believe that the morning-after pill causes abortion, which is another can of worms.)
Seems to be a lot actually but I'm not sure if what I'm reading is the final version of the bill so I'll wait for the reply. Seems to restrict who can dispense but I don't know if that overrides the FDA making it available OTC or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 04:18 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You obviously you dont know what my point is because the word "hypocrisy" never appears in my comment nor do i ever admit to "the left" doing what you claimed.

All my comment simply states is irony of you making a claim against the left while the only example of said action is from the right.
I didn't make a comment on "the left" as if "the right" is somehow better, I made a comment on the pro-choice movement.

And the irony really is irrelevant unless you're just trying to discredit me. It doesn't make my point any less valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
but LOL at the last bold.

It's true.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
yeah, blame the constiuents. dont take into accout the phony precedural antics of the Republican legislators.

One of her violations filibuster was to have a Dem rep help her put on a back brace...

the special session was for 30 days, why wait to the 11th hour???
Do you know what a filibuster is?

If you were all "pro democracy" it wouldn't even get to that point.

Like I said, the majority elected these right wing nuts, and the majority of these right wing nuts voted for the bill.

So admit that rights are more important than mob opinion.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I said nothing about mobs. I did, however, refer to the fact that the legislators you adore went so far as to call a violation because a colleague adjusted the woman's back brace.

Like I said, conservatism in action. Such a lovely sight.
The legislators I adore? Roffle. Please read my posts before you presume to know anything about what I think.

Really doesn't detract from my point though, at all.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Closer to 200K toward the end. Can you link me to the YouTube posting of the demographics of the livestream? I don't know where they are.

thx
Quote:
Tuesday night’s marathon abortion filibuster propelled her into the national spotlight.

By the time the Senate unsuccessfully forced the vote on some of the nation’s strictest abortion regulations, the 13 hours Davis had spent on her feet challenging the measure had gone viral, drawing praise on social media from President Obama, U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and celebrities like author Judy Blume and actors Lena Dunham and Henry Winkler.

"I have never seen a Texas senator suddenly make world news over the course of 13 hours," said longtime Democratic consultant Harold Cook. "I'm not sure it was possible before Twitter, honestly. At the start of the day, this was a local story. By the end, it was an international story." TexasTribune
You might try an email to the Texas Tribune and ask them if they have the complete demographics of the people watching the live stream. If you write them, be sure and ask for location,gender,party affiliation,race .... it would be interesting to see all the stats. The UK is reporting on it, most of the news stories are citing "world attention", the Tribune says the highest viewership was 182,344 and she ended the night with about 150,000. I get my news by reading a minimum of 50 news articles every morning.

Wendy Davis Gets the Taiwanese Animation Treatment

Miss Wendy's problem is that almost nobody in Texas even knows who she is, the Texas Tribune is good for political news (mostly lefty leaning), but it doesn't have a very high readership and most of that is pretty echo chamber. That's all good, but it's not enough for a Statewide win ... maybe she can build on this new "worldwide media attention".

Wendy Davis would still face uphill fight in Texas - Politico (and others siting the same poll)

Miss Wendy should go for it ..... maybe for Governor or even State Senator. Texas is known for their Female Texas Governors - we had one of the first in the USA (tie with some other State).

Old 06-26-2013, 04:45 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You might try an email to the Texas Tribune and ask them if they have the complete demographics of the people watching the live stream. If you write them, be sure and ask for location,gender,party affiliation,race .... it would be interesting to see all the stats.
They won't have good demographics. You didn't have to register to watch the live stream. I watched it the entire night and am not registered nor was I ever asked for any identifying information.
Most viewers probably got there from Twitter. Twitter was on fire and folks kept posting links to the Texas Tribune site.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
So it's OK as long as they agree with your interpretation in real time? Really I hand it to TX for allowing it but will they allow it next time? To use freedom of speech as a weapon to disrupt other rights for a democracy to function in inappropriate no matter which side you're on.
My interpretation of what?
If you watched the live stream, you know that the GOP senators were confused about the procedures long before the crowd ever became noisy. That is a fact. That's not condemnation or judgement or interpretation, it was blatantly obvious that they did not have control of the proceedings. Again, this was before the crowd became restless and noisy. The audiofeed was turned off several times while they consulted but observers there said you could have heard a pin drop, everyone in the galley was holding his/her breath for a long time, waiting to see what the rulings would be.

Not just me but most Republican pundits and conservative talk-show hosts and bloggers are laying the blame for the bill's failure directly upon Dewhurst. His (and Duncan's) confusion about the sequence of events and about who had said what were neither hurt nor helped by the crowd.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Seems to be a lot actually but I'm not sure if what I'm reading is the final version of the bill so I'll wait for the reply. Seems to restrict who can dispense but I don't know if that overrides the FDA making it available OTC or not.
The Texas bill does not address the "morning after pill" ..... they are talking about Mifeprex, which is an Abortion drug that is administered by a physician in the early stages of Pregnancy. It doesn't prevent pregnancy the way the "morning after pill" does .... it terminates Pregnancy, and it can have serious side effects (excessive hemorrhaging) with some women.

Odd how many people know so little about these procedures and the Laws (both Federal and State) that regulate them.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
it won't play well in Texas. It particularly won't play well because most Texans (I suspect) don't like the idea of aborting a Fetus that is past 5 months, they probably also support some sort of regulation about clinics that perform surgical operations (Nobody really wants a Gosnell situation in Texas, do they?)

Dewhurst could lose his election because of his poor performance, but this Abortion and Clinic Safety bill will live again. The take-away will be the "raucous crowds" stopping the Legislature - that's just the reality. Texas will have a 2nd special session (which will cost Millions), but important work (Transportation bill, Criminal Justice bill) still has to be done.
You make many good points.
Your suspicion that Texans don't like the idea of late-term abortion is probably right on. If SB5 had been about late-term abortion it would have sailed through without a filibuster. Its intent (as stated by Dewhurst) was to "essentially ban abortions statewide".

A poll taken Monday showed that 63% of registered Texas voters oppose SB5, think we have sufficient abortion restrictions already, and don't want the legislature to address the issue again:
POLL: Majority Of Texans Don't Support The Abortion Restrictions Moving Through The Legislature | ThinkProgress

Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
They won't have good demographics. You didn't have to register to watch the live stream. I watched it the entire night and am not registered nor was I ever asked for any identifying information.
Most viewers probably got there from Twitter. Twitter was on fire and folks kept posting links to the Texas Tribune site.
I'm not surprised they don't have "good demographics" ..... which is why I thought it was so odd that you wanted them from me. You seem to doubt that people outside of Texas were watching this Live-Stream and yet press is calling it "international" and "national".

Rick Perry (as fully expected) has called for a 2nd Special Session. On the UP side, these CongressCritters are now trying to run out of Texas and go into hiding.

Rick Perry Calls Second Special Session
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies