Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
this, them pushing through new voting restrictions the second after voting rights act gets removed, the ag admitting now trying to pass through a redistricting map that gerrymanders to the extreme and was turned down by federal judges, one being a bushie.

if the texas dems cant rally behind this now and throw these whites out, then let texas secede and lets move on.

Wow, the race card is one thing.
This is quite another.
We know where you stand now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Wow, the race card is one thing.
This is quite another.
We know where you stand now.
We'll be glad to provide a few more Hispanics to Washington like Ted Cruz or George P Bush.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:23 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
With Wendy Davis, I stand against any government's attempt to regulate pregnancy.
Regulation of pregnancy is not a proper or valid function of government. Period.

Any government that presumes to restrict abortion can also presume to force abortion.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 AM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Doesn't seem to be the case here.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Kills a lot of future Democrats.
A lot of irrational Republicans, too.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
No, there's no irony. I stand by what I said, and I have no idea who this other guy is nor does what he says have anything to do with me.

The rights I assert as it relates to firearms (although my argument is never as simple as the one I alluded to earlier) never dismisses any direct consequence of my individual actions as irrelevant.

Quite the lame attempt to be clever, but like most on here you fail miserably when it comes to anything beyond a cursory analysis before spitting out your smart assed comments.

Nice try though.
Wow, claiming i failed just because you dont like the comparison is not the same as me actually failing to make my point, which was that those from the right do the exact same thing you were claiming the left does.

Did i hit a nerve or something ? who knew 3 words could p/o someone so much. probably shouldnt make such wide generalizations, that way the next time someone from your side of the aisle does exactly what you claim liberals do, you wont look so bad.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
With Wendy Davis, I stand against any government's attempt to regulate pregnancy.
Regulation of pregnancy is not a proper or valid function of government. Period.

Any government that presumes to restrict abortion can also presume to force abortion.
Excellent point as in China forcing abortions.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

You're OK with an extremely late term abortion the day before a normal full term child would be born alive ?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:13 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
No wonder Republicans are becoming unelectable. They say they don't believe in big government, but they try to use legislation to strip women in Texas of their rights.

Texas is known worldwide as the "Minimum wage state" it can now be truly called "The misogynist state" as well.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Wow, claiming i failed just because you dont like the comparison is not the same as me actually failing to make my point, which was that those from the right do the exact same thing you were claiming the left does.
No, I claimed you failed to make your point, because your point made zero sense. You had no defense, so you chimed in with a "oh yeah!? well you guys do that too so whatever!" I took it as an attempt to call me out on non-existent hypocrisy, because that's the usual MO, so forgive me if I miscategorized your comment and responded according to my perception, but that's what happens on the mean streets of city-data.

I really don't care what "the right" does in the context of a discussion on abortion. As if the right's flawed logic somehow makes the left's flawed logic less flawed.

And as I so eloquently explained to you, these points are not equal in the first place, rendering your comparison invalid from the beginning. No gun nut argues that he should be allowed to intentionally perform specific actions that cause immediate and direct harm (or what is being argued as harm, whether truly harmful or not) under the banner of exercising his rights.

The debate on gun rights is one that revolves around indirect consequences. The debate on abortion is not. These are two entirely different scenarios that can not be compared in such a way.

If the act of abortion itself had no discernable direct impact, but did have indirect consequences as a result of its mere existence, then we could draw this equivalency. And in such a case, I would not make the same argument I made before.

For one to argue in favor of a right that offers some type of benefit, while ignoring the indirect consequences, is a different thing than for one to argue in favor of a right to commit those actions intentionally as an individual.

Gun owners do not argue that their right to own guns somehow exempts them from their personal responsibility to not do things that are inherently wrong. And abortion, after a certain point in pregnancy long after conception, in my eyes, is baby killing, in the literal sense, and can not be defended by the assertion of any right.

Edit

And let me clarify something.

Even were I to grant that these two arguments are equivalents, and the difference is subtle, I don't feel that the potential irony is worth even pointing out except as a diversionary tactic. I quite simply can not elaborate on everything I say with equal criticisms of all groups, they would go on for pages.

I've never argued for gun rights from such a basic perspective, my opposition to gun control is rooted primarily (although not solely) in its ineffectiveness, and the extremely dishonest way in which it is discussed in modern political discourse.

Last edited by rw47; 06-26-2013 at 01:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies