Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:22 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Everyone defending the military in this thread is right--war is hell, and bad things are bound to happen. However, we should not have been there in the first place. If we never entered the country, none of these things would have happened.
Ten bucks says in any other context you would be decrying this kind of pathetic moral relativism.

Interestingly, if we had a domestic case of someone perpetrating these crimes, the C-D Idiot Brigade would be labeling them "animals."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 03:24 PM

"I love them babies! We gotta protect them babies! Well, 'cept for them babies over in that there country that we's warrin' with!"

"There's right and then there's wrong! Well, 'cept in war. See, that don't count there. Least if it's our boys!"

Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Youre incredibly naive.

I know its hard to accept that our military industrial complex isnt loaded with Captain Americas, but its time to face reality.

Im sure three weeks ago you thought it was impossible for the NSA to have the entire nation under surveillance.
I'm sure I didn't think it was impossible. Genocide and rampant kiddie rape is probably a hard thing to cover up in a military with over 2,000,000 service members. Of course horrible things happen - it's war.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
I'm sure I didn't think it was impossible. Genocide and rampant kiddie rape is probably a hard thing to cover up in a military with over 2,000,000 service members. Of course horrible things happen - it's war.
Well, you're certainly being a good sport about it. Undoubtedly all you relativists would be similarly good sports if it were your children or siblings being raped or murdered.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Everyone defending the military in this thread is right--war is hell, and bad things are bound to happen. However, we should not have been there in the first place. If we never entered the country, none of these things would have happened.
This is it in a nutshell.
Former Military myself.

When we are truly under attack, I would support whatever it is to preserve "our country"
When it is ran by corporations and banks for their global adventures and self interests with my tax dollars, and not for our own self defense and border protection, then it is wrong and they can go to Hell.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper
Somers’ suicide note is a powerful indictment of the invasion of Iraq and how it ruined the lives of both countless millions of Iraqis as well as innumerable US troops sent in to do the dirty work of the military-industrial complex.
Indeed its sad......... They are brainwashed into doing these evil things and then are left to deal with the guilt when the brainwashing wears off

Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Ten bucks says in any other context you would be decrying this kind of pathetic moral relativism.

Interestingly, if we had a domestic case of someone perpetrating these crimes, the C-D Idiot Brigade would be labeling them "animals."
What the **** are you talking about? I agree that these are heinous crimes, and far from excusable.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
"I love them babies! We gotta protect them babies! Well, 'cept for them babies over in that there country that we's warrin' with!"

"There's right and then there's wrong! Well, 'cept in war. See, that don't count there. Least if it's our boys!"
You got the wrong guy, man. I am as far from jingoistic as you can be. Patriotic sure, but "our boys" have done plenty of deplorable things.

Essentially, you've built a strawman that could get knocked over by the slightest of breezes.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Obviously, the former soldier suffered from mental illness ... most likely pre-dating his enlistment into the militalry. He was a willing participant in the War and if what he did constituted crimes against humanity ... death would be a just end to his life.
Correct. UCMJ you cannot be compelled to follow an unlawful order.. An example of an unlawful order would be to violate terms of the Geneva convention.
Rape would be another example, shooting of unarmed civilians or combatants for that matter.
People who cry they were forced to obey orders to commit war crimes are either lying or copping out.
I can tell you no Admiral, no General no Officer or non-commissioned officer could have forced me or any soldier or sailor I knew to commit such crimes.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
You got the wrong guy, man. I am as far from jingoistic as you can be. Patriotic sure, but "our boys" have done plenty of deplorable things.

Essentially, you've built a strawman that could get knocked over by the slightest of breezes.
Good to hear. However, when someone trots out the, "Atrocities always occur in war," it usually is a thin;y-veiled vehicle for excusing reprehensible behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies