Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's just the normal knee jerk that most people have whether it is regular people like you and me or politicians. Because we are free in the United States, we want people around to have the same rights. Look at the amount of countries that do not have women's rights and they are second class citizens. What about the Afghan girl who nearly died from an attack by the Taliban on the bus she was riding from school for standing up for a woman's right to education. Whether you are liberal or conservative or somewhere in between, we all agree that is wrong. And this was AFTER we helped free Afghanistan. If we didn't, who knows if she wouldn't have died from the attack.

Sorry, but at this point, we're broke, and it's about time we take care of our own house. Besides who are WE to decide what is best for the rest of the world?! Is it horrible that those things happen in those 3rd world s*** holes? YES!!! Nevertheless, it is up to those people to rise up like we did and learn how to fend for themselves! That region has been a hornets nest since the beginning of time! Nothing has changed, and nothing will! Furthermore, do you honestly believe that we're doing it for humanitarian aid? It is all about oil, and special interests, and that is it!

Also anyone saying we shouldn't give money to the wounded warriors, I sure hope you don't lose a limb or the use of a limb and don't suffer from shell-shock (now known as PTSD) at any point in your life. I know I would not try to help because obviously you think the wounded warriors who face issues that we normally don't shouldn't get help.
Blame the chicken s*** politicians who put them there, when they shouldn't have been there in the first place! Perhaps these warmongers should grab their gun and head to the front lines instead of trying to dupe our young people into fighting their BS wars for profit!!! In the meantime we're losing our rights and turning into a police state, under the guise of fighting a war on terror that has a lot to do with our meddling in the affairs of others! We should have heeded the words of George Washington in regards to meddling in the affairs of other nations, as well as Eisenhower's warning about The Military Industrial Complex!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I do not support dumb videos on Youtube.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times
Surprisingly informed and accurate.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basically he is a small minority now days. Funny part is many like him caused the change after Vietnam veterans and now they were treated.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Sorry, but at this point, we're broke, and it's about time we take care of our own house. Besides who are WE to decide what is best for the rest of the world?! Is it horrible that those things happen in those 3rd world s*** holes? YES!!! Nevertheless, it is up to those people to rise up like we did and learn how to fend for themselves! That region has been a hornets nest since the beginning of time! Nothing has changed, and nothing will! Furthermore, do you honestly believe that we're doing it for humanitarian aid? It is all about oil, and special interests, and that is it!
And what about Syria. We have the rebels using guns against tanks and chemical weapons. They do not HAVE the resources to fight the oppressive regime in power.

I am sure oil is a part of it mainly because liberals like many on this thread who have this anti-military stance, do not want the US to drill for oil on US soil or near the US. But yet we can depend on FOREIGN oil from our enemies like Iran. However I think there is a bit of altruism in us helping out the little guy. Will we get resources from it, yes but the fact is the PR of helping oppressed people is pretty good. Though years later we may find it wasn't that good of an idea when we get bombed by terrorists who want us to be isolationist despite the problem I previously mentioned with it from the end of World War I. Thankfully we learned from World War I when it came to the end of World War II.

Quote:
Blame the chicken s*** politicians who put them there, when they shouldn't have been there in the first place! Perhaps these warmongers should grab their gun and head to the front lines instead of trying to dupe our young people into fighting their BS wars for profit!!!

In the meantime we're losing our rights and turning into a police state, under the guise of fighting a war on terror that has a lot to do with our meddling in the affairs of others! We should have heeded the words of George Washington in regards to meddling in the affairs of other nations, as well as Eisenhower's warning about The Military Industrial Complex!
Are there people who bennefit from war, yes. Military contractors get to produce more, the department of defense don't need to worry about RIFs. However I would not say anyone wants to go to war. War is a last ditch effort that you do not enter lightly. Remember the second Iraqi war resolution was talked about for months. The Afghan war however was rushed due to the fact Al Qaeda was a state backed terrorist organization who killed thousands and took credit. So rather than "diligence" (I use this term loosely because of after the fact issues) we used with Iraq, we needed to go into Afghanistan rather quickly. Guess what, we still didn't find Bin Ladin for ten years later because of head starts and harboring by other states (countries.)

The police state is far reaching rhetoric that I agree with to a point. We shouldn't have drone strikes on US people without reasonable cause, nor should our communications or web pages be instantly data mined by the government. Now if we say have a back log that isn't untouched until the file is flagged (like say the Boston Marathon terror attack) I am fine with that. However that is an exception rather than the rule if you consider "only 50 terror potential attacks" were stopped through NSA and phone tapping compared to the hundreds of millions who live in America and are normal citizens.

Moral of the story don't do anything online that you want the NSA will go after you for that or you wouldn't want them reading.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
And what about Syria. We have the rebels using guns against tanks and chemical weapons. They do not HAVE the resources to fight the oppressive regime in power.

So what about them? Tell me what happened the last time we armed rebels in the middle east? Oh yeah, that's right 9/11.

I am sure oil is a part of it mainly because liberals like many on this thread who have this anti-military stance, do not want the US to drill for oil on US soil or near the US. But yet we can depend on FOREIGN oil from our enemies like Iran. However I think there is a bit of altruism in us helping out the little guy. Will we get resources from it, yes but the fact is the PR of helping oppressed people is pretty good. Though years later we may find it wasn't that good of an idea when we get bombed by terrorists who want us to be isolationist despite the problem I previously mentioned with it from the end of World War I. Thankfully we learned from World War I when it came to the end of World War II.

I am not a liberal. I am a Libertarian, and we also have an anti-war stance, and only believe that we should attack if it is a direct threat to the security and sovereignty of our nation. As for drilling at home, I firmly support doing so. This country is large enough, has enough resources, and is industrious enough to take care of itself. We don't need the middle east, or their a**backward ways any longer!

Are there people who bennefit from war, yes. Military contractors get to produce more, the department of defense don't need to worry about RIFs. However I would not say anyone wants to go to war. War is a last ditch effort that you do not enter lightly. Remember the second Iraqi war resolution was talked about for months. The Afghan war however was rushed due to the fact Al Qaeda was a state backed terrorist organization who killed thousands and took credit. So rather than "diligence" (I use this term loosely because of after the fact issues) we used with Iraq, we needed to go into Afghanistan rather quickly. Guess what, we still didn't find Bin Ladin for ten years later because of head starts and harboring by other states (countries.)

Again when our sovereignty is threatened by another nation, then you can count me in to fight. Other than that I don't subscribe to the BS rhetoric of "having to fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here." As for Bin Laden, we didn't get him, because Bush switched gears and went after Iraq.

The police state is far reaching rhetoric that I agree with to a point. We shouldn't have drone strikes on US people without reasonable cause, nor should our communications or web pages be instantly data mined by the government. Now if we say have a back log that isn't untouched until the file is flagged (like say the Boston Marathon terror attack) I am fine with that. However that is an exception rather than the rule if you consider "only 50 terror potential attacks" were stopped through NSA and phone tapping compared to the hundreds of millions who live in America and are normal citizens.

Moral of the story don't do anything online that you want the NSA will go after you for that or you wouldn't want them reading.
The government has no business in spying on it's own citizens. Furthermore, if we weren't over there trying to prop up regimes, and dictating our policy, 9/11 and other attacks against Americans could have been avoided.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
So what about them? Tell me what happened the last time we armed rebels in the middle east? Oh yeah, that's right 9/11.[/color]
Fair enough. The issue we are in a damned if we do, damned if we don't. We help, we are complained about by foreign countries for interfering. We don't help, we are complained about by foreign countries for NOT interfering.

Quote:
I am not a liberal. I am a Libertarian, and we also have an anti-war stance, and only believe that we should attack if it is a direct threat to the security and sovereignty of our nation. As for drilling at home, I firmly support doing so. This country is large enough, has enough resources, and is industrious enough to take care of itself. We don't need the middle east, or their a**backward ways any longer!
Fair enough. I am just saying that the anti-war stance is typically a liberal stance. I apologize for accusing you for being a liberal if it came out that way. I know we are large enough to take care of ourselves. The issue is our own a**backwards thinking where we do not want oil wells in our backyards because of the CHANCE of pollution but foreign countries can be used for soylent green for all we care.

Quote:
Again when our sovereignty is threatened by another nation, then you can count me in to fight. Other than that I don't subscribe to the BS rhetoric of "having to fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here." As for Bin Laden, we didn't get him, because Bush switched gears and went after Iraq.
I agree with this. You aren't going to get me to disagree that Bush screwed the pooch on that one.

Quote:
The government has no business in spying on it's own citizens. Furthermore, if we weren't over there trying to prop up regimes, and dictating our policy, 9/11 and other attacks against Americans could have been avoided.
To an extent. The issue is if you have say a Boston bomber, Ft. Hood shoter or Jihad Jane who were citizens who want to start a Jihad on US soil.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. The issue we are in a damned if we do, damned if we don't. We help, we are complained about by foreign countries for interfering. We don't help, we are complained about by foreign countries for NOT interfering.

You're right. A lot of times they want us to do the dirty work, then b*** and moan about it.

Fair enough. I am just saying that the anti-war stance is typically a liberal stance. I apologize for accusing you for being a liberal if it came out that way. I know we are large enough to take care of ourselves. The issue is our own a**backwards thinking where we do not want oil wells in our backyards because of the CHANCE of pollution but foreign countries can be used for soylent green for all we care.

No harm no foul. My uncle (here in Ohio) had an oil well on his property. I'm pretty he got a good chunk of coin from it. At any rate, we have to stop our dependence on middle eastern oil, and drill our own, as well as develop other energy resources.

I agree with this. You aren't going to get me to disagree that Bush screwed the pooch on that one.

He sure did.

To an extent. The issue is if you have say a Boston bomber, Ft. Hood shoter or Jihad Jane who were citizens who want to start a Jihad on US soil.
It's still not enough for me to think that we should continue meddling over there. Not when they've been at it since biblical times. What makes you think that they'll change now?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:10 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Yeah, I never said it hasn't happened. All I said was that our military isn't allowed to do that.
If the Commander in Chief ordered genocide, would you be against the armed forces refusing to do so?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
It's still not enough for me to think that we should continue meddling over there. Not when they've been at it since biblical times. What makes you think that they'll change now?
I agree we shouldn't meddle over there but actually the Jewish-Muslim conflict is pretty recent it only goes back 100 years at most. Prior to that Jews and Muslims tended to get along pretty well and were often allies against the common Christian foe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies