Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times

Advertisements

Repubicans are using a poll as reasoning for changing the current legal 24 week period of gestation to call for new legislation making all abortions illegal [exceptions included] after 20 weeks of gestation.

Republicans claim that a majority of Americans favor the 20 week period. In reading the poll question, it is clear that the only option given persons polled was the 20 week option.

Q: As you know, the House of Representatives recently approved legislation that ban virtually all abortions nationwide after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of rape and incest that are reprted to authorities. Would you support or oppose such legislation?

Wouldn't a more correct question to gauge the true opinions of the American people on abortion be...

Q: As you know, the House of Representatives recently approved legislation that ban virtually all abortions nationwide after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of rape and incest that are reprted to authorities. Would you support this new legislation or should we keep the current law and the current 24 week period?

If given no option, the American people would choose 20 weeks...But not giving the current law option makes the poll meaningless.

Americans (Narrowly) Support 20-Week Abortion Ban - NationalJournal.com

House passes ban on abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy - First Read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 04:00 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
20 weeks does seem to be the median internationally where abortion is legal and not an issue like it is in the states. The problem with this legislation, it piggy backs extra unnecessary requirements for women that have already made the decision.

From what I have read, 20 or so PP clinics will be forced to close if they cannot upgrade to what is hospital in patient specs. Abortion in most cases is an out patient procedure unless it goes past 20 weeks and usually these are for other reasons other than choice and would take place in a hospital setting rather than a clinic.

Who staffs these clinics? Are they predominantly non white or what? If it is the former, I am sure there is a racial slant to the decision too.

Meanwhile in Pleasantville, all the whities born into privilege, get to have their "secret" abortions via a medical insurance approved procedure called D&C and will even manage get lil miss blonde prom queen one to for a faux valid reason; buddy doctor will perhaps make a long distance call to another county buddy doctor or state just so the good church folk will not know should they happen to ask elder so and so what is wrong with Mary-Jane being in hospital and all.

You see, poor folk are not supposed to have sex and should die if they get pregnant or imaginary god forbid, cervical cancer or breast cancer, stuff PP clinics also do.

Am I close?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
It should change since an infant has survived born at 21 weeks, 6 days. Preemie in hospital longer | CTV News

Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
20 weeks to me is late enough. Rape or severe birth defects etc. are good reasons but they can most of the times be detected a lot earlier and dealt with much sooner. Ever since I had a child on my own I could never abort a baby due to inconvenience. It would have to be an extreme reason for me to do that. And never abort a baby at 20 weeks.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I believe abortion supporters were big supporters of RvW. This is something RvW understood as a rational line to draw in the legality of abortion.

Viability.

This is why I support leaving RvW as-is.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
20 weeks does seem to be the international standard. As for making sure the clinics have the same standards as a hospital and/or near one speaks the benefit of a safe procedure (one of the fundamental arguments for legalised abortion), opposition to this seems to be out of place. If some clinics have to close because they don't meet these requirements, then that is a good thing. Having been to Germany (back and forth), I can tell you that their standards for the procedure would cause a fit with many in the USA as it nearly mirrors this one.

Last edited by Bulldawg82; 07-10-2013 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Considering that more and more babies born prematurely at 24 weeks are surviving, wouldn't that lend itself to the position that a 24 week fetus is viable, and therfore a life, not a "collection of cells."

Seems like even the abortion-crazed group believes that killing living/moving babies is not much fun.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:20 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
20 weeks does seem to be the international standard. As for making sure the clinics have the same standards as a hospital and/or near one speaks the benefit of a safe procedure (one of the fundamental arguments for legalised abortion), opposition to this seems to be out of place. If some clinics have to close because they don't meet these requirements, then that is a good thing. Having been to Germany (back and forth), I can tell you that their standards for the procedure would cause a fit with many in the USA as it nearly mirrors this one.
Where are the new laws demanding new standards for all other outpatient clinics? When I see some, I'll believe that this law is really aimed at safety, and not at shutting down clinics as an end run around RvW.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Where are the new laws demanding new standards for all other outpatient clinics? When I see some, I'll believe that this law is really aimed at safety, and not at shutting down clinics as an end run around RvW.
These aren't "new" laws to outpatient clinics - they are making the ones for these clinics up to par with all other outpatient clinics. There have been too many incidents of women being serious hurt and dying to these substandards that some clinics (not all) are using. All prior attempts have been met with stiff opposition by the pro-choice crowd (of which I am one) as if these same standards would be tantamount to eliminating a woman's choice. The standards for these clinics need to be the same as a hospital/other clinics so that safe procedures can be done at a better rate than they have been up to now.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
From what I understand the regulations already apply to these other types of clinics so no new regulations are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies