Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

As a Native California boy who was born in Boyle Heights
Well wadda ya know.

A Whittier Boulevard vato. (First car I owned was bought on Whittier Boo-lee-vaard. I think we had taquitos at Tastee Freeze to celebrate, lol.)

Old 07-02-2013, 03:15 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well wadda ya know.

A Whittier Boulevard vato.
South Concord and Lanfrancho carnale'

Lets just say we moved because my pops didnt like all the "white fences" in the barrio.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:18 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Pssst....apple pie is British. Don't tell anyone.
There's a recipe for "tarte of appels" that goes back to the 14th century.
True...!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Except that isn't clear from the article nor from any of the other reports that I could find reporting these "findings."
Nowhere does it say that they are comparing the numbers of white people of non-Hispanic origin to those of whites with Hispanic origin. They just seem to lump all Hispanics into one bucket and all whites into another.

In order for this to be in any way valid, we would need to know what percentage of those of Hispanic origin consider themselves "white." Or we need to know how the overall Hispanic population compares to the non-Hispanic population regardless of "race."

Then we might be able to compare the overall number of people within the Hispanic population vs. the non-Hispanic population as it pertains to California.

Completely meaningless otherwise.
Hispanic isnt a race, its a particular culture and foreign language, so black and white include American and English speaking, hispanic means black, white, and mixed Spanish speaking and culturally from Latin America.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:55 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hispanic isnt a race, its a particular culture and foreign language, so black and white include American and English speaking, hispanic means black, white, and mixed Spanish speaking and culturally from Latin America.
Hispanic can mean anything and everything. It is a term that tries to encompass way more than makes sense. Even the US government has found itself unable to properly define what the term denotes. Thus, they have resorted to saying that a person is hispanic if he or she self-identifies as such. In other words, you are hispanic if you say you are:

Hispanic or Latino Origin

"Hispanics or Latinos are those people who classified themselves in one of the specific Spanish, Hispanic, or Latino categories listed on the Census 2010 questionnaire -"Mexican," "Puerto Rican", or "Cuban"-as well as those who indicate that they are "another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin." People who do not identify with one of the specific origins listed on the questionnaire but indicate that they are "another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin" are those whose origins are from Spain, the Spanish-speaking countries of Central or South America, or the Dominican Republic. The terms "Hispanic," "Latino," and "Spanish" are used interchangeably.

Origin can be viewed as the heritage, nationality group, lineage, or country of birth of the person or the person's parents or ancestors before their arrival in the United States.

People who identify their origin as Spanish, Hispanic, or Latino may be of any race. Thus, the percent Hispanic should not be added to percentages for racial categories."

So, that's people who identify themselves as

- Mexican
- Puerto Rican
- Cuban
- from Spain
- from Spanish-speaking countries of Central or South America, or the Dominican Republic.
- of any other Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish "origin," that is, anyone

- whose heritage is self-identified as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish
- whose family is tied, somehow to Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin
- who was born in a Latin/Hispanic/Spanish country before moving to the US.
- whose parents were born in a Latin/Hispanic/Spanish country before moving to the US.
- whose grandparents were born in a Latin/Hispanic/Spanish country before moving to the US.

It does NOT matter what race any of these people are.

I suppose that just about includes everybody who has even the most remote tie to Latin America or Spain - as long as they themselves identify as "Hispanic," for whatever reason...

In other words, the term is absolutely meaningless.

Language also seems to have absolutely nothing to do with it. A friend of mine came here from Mexico as a child. Both his parents are Mexican but are also US citizens. My friend is a US citizen who identifies as Hispanic, which, according to the US Census Bureau is correct. You'd also never think of his as anything other than "Hispanic." He most certainly is not tall, blond, and fair-skinned. His Spanish is worse than mine. He's not alone.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And it is valid to compare these characteristics to "whites" how?

Do "whites" comprise a monolithic culture? Not last I checked. And certainly no more so than do Hispanics.

So, what exactly does this report tell us?

Basically, nothing.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
NBC reported today that Hispanics and Whites are now equal in number in California. Since a few hours have passed, Hispanics now must outnumber whites in the Golden State. Next: Texas.

Hispanic population now equals that of whites in California - Video on NBCNews.com
Well that's only fair. California used to belong to Mexico anyway.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Except that isn't clear from the article nor from any of the other reports that I could find reporting these "findings."
Nowhere does it say that they are comparing the numbers of white people of non-Hispanic origin to those of whites with Hispanic origin. They just seem to lump all Hispanics into one bucket and all whites into another.

In order for this to be in any way valid, we would need to know what percentage of those of Hispanic origin consider themselves "white." Or we need to know how the overall Hispanic population compares to the non-Hispanic population regardless of "race."

Then we might be able to compare the overall number of people within the Hispanic population vs. the non-Hispanic population as it pertains to California.

Completely meaningless otherwise.
Well the 2012 census had White non-Hispanic at 39% and Hispanic/Latino at 38%.
It was just a matter of time. You may want more but the governments don't ask more.

California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 07-02-2013, 04:22 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well that's only fair. California used to belong to Mexico anyway.
Here's your clue...USED TO BE. Mexico no longer owns California nor any of our other southwestern states. A war was fought and the U.S. paid $15 million for those territories and forgave Mexico of many debts for them. I hate sniveling whiners who live in the past. Today we have internationally recognized borders just like every other country in the world has.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
And it is valid to compare these characteristics to "whites" how?

Do "whites" comprise a monolithic culture? Not last I checked. And certainly no more so than do Hispanics.

So, what exactly does this report tell us?

Basically, nothing.
Cultural ties to the USA is what separates whites from hispanic whites and blacks from hispanic blacks but its not race. Just like Jerry Garcia of Grateful Dead was not considered a hispanic musician because he was culturally American but its also true that anyone can check the hispanic box if they want affirmative action, I know people of German snd other ethnic heritage who spoke no Spanish who did so to get nice scholarships for college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies