Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,231,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What about chinese hispanics?
I've actually met quite a few of them, too. Alas, not in California but in Central America.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezkiln View Post
That's where you're wrong. Neither Brazilian's or Dominican Republican's are Latino unless they live in the U.S. Latino is a designation that is applied to people of Latin American descent that live in the U.S. There are no Latinos in Mexico or Peru or any central or Southern American country.

As for Hispanic, that's a term that is used to designate social class not nationality. When the term Hispanic is used it's usually to refer to people of Latin American descent living in the U.S. who are middle or upper class.

The more you know.
Hm, having spent more than a decade living in Central America, I would say that just about everybody I ever met there described themselves as Latino/Latina... Few claimed the distinction of being Mestizo. But never mind reality.

My sister-in-law, born and bred in the Dom. Rep. is quite convinced that she and all her family members are Latinos. Obviously, she must be wrong. Some of them have been to the US, so perhaps that's where they picked up their self-proclaimed identity.

BTW, the US Census Bureau uses the terms "Latino" and "Hispanic" interchangeably - and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with social class.

The more you know.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The word was "salsa" not tomatoes, corn, etc. Unless one considers tomatoes to be the same thing as spaghetti sauce that's a pretty much of a stretch. Salsa is a Mexican/Hispanic condiment and it mostly prevalent in the southwest not the entire country. It is a part of the Hispanic culture and doesn't represent mainstream America's cultural food.
Never mind that "salsa" is also the word for "sauce..."

Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,521,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
How many white hispanics are there other than that zimmerman cat??
Plenty. Hispanics can be everything from full-blood Italian or Spanish to African to indigenous and every possible combination thereof.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,033,951 times
The problem with the "hispanic is not mainstream America" crowd is that they grew up in an era where television was dominated by shows like Leave It to Beaver, and grew up in a 99.9% lily white suburb in the Midwest or the Northeast, with that 0.1% being an African-American family or two. Therefore, they think that they lived in the "mainstream" because almost all the people they grew up around also had white skin and ate similar food to them. Ask a black person who grew up in the city, who had diverse neighbors way before the white suburbanite ever did, what "mainstream America" is. I bet you their opinion will be different from a white American suburbanite's.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,863,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Plenty. Hispanics can be everything from full-blood Italian or Spanish to African to indigenous and every possible combination thereof.
Think you need to look up Hispanic.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,328,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I think you need to "Katchup"

Salsa has been the United States number one selling condiment since 2006 when sales surpassed.....wait for it..........Katchup.

So sad for you.

That being said I had salsa on my fried eggs and katchup on my country fried taters this morning.

That's Main Stream AMERICA.
Even longer! The NYT had an article stating salsa surpassed ketchup sales in 1992.

It appears that there are people who need to get out and experience America. Mmmmmm..... salsa!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,863,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Even longer! The NYT had an article stating salsa surpassed ketchup sales in 1992.

It appears that there are people who need to get out and experience America. Mmmmmm..... salsa!
BAH BAM!!! LOL

Good one DDI.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM

63,468 posts, read 29,494,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I think you need to "Katchup"

Salsa has been the United States number one selling condiment since 2006 when sales surpassed.....wait for it..........Katchup.

So sad for you.

That being said I had salsa on my fried eggs and katchup on my country fried taters this morning.

That's Main Stream AMERICA.

No matter how you try to spin it salsa is not mainstream America. It is cultural condiment that came from the Mexican/Hispanic culture.

So sad for you that you would try to claim otherwise.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 AM

63,468 posts, read 29,494,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Never mind that "salsa" is also the word for "sauce..."
So what? Mexican salsa is not culturally mainstream America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies