Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Let me know when grits and biscuits and gravy become a staple up north in restaurants
How about eggs scrambled with chorizo (huevos con chorizo)? It's very popular here in the southwest. It's even served at Denny's, I think. Is that up north yet?

Hey my dictionary does not know the word "chorizo"? They haven't taken over yet.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:02 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Let me know when grits and biscuits and gravy become a staple up north in restaurants
Biscuits and gravy are available everywhere for breakfast--grits a little less so...

Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 PM

41,458 posts, read 59,964,742 times
On one trip my wife and I had a very good breakfast in a Hispanic restaurant in the middle of Georgia. It was a very good breakfast.

I also grew up with a particularly obnoxious form of the "Leave it to Beaver" culture and have tried to change ever since. I thank these people for bringing their food with them. It and they make for a more interesting America.

63,382 posts, read 29,429,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The problem for you Oldglory is that "Mainstream" has changed and you cant accept it. I feel sorry for you more than anything else. Its tough getting older and watching your world change.
Wrong! We still have a mainstream culture. All others are just minority cultures. I have no problem with natural and lawful change but my objection is to change via illegal immigration. Is that not justified?

4,837 posts, read 4,180,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So there is nothing special about Mexican salsa and as I said is only prevelant in the southwest.
No, it's all over the country. But why are you even arguing about salsa anyway?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM

593 posts, read 472,248 times
Whites have been outnumbered in California since the days of the Lewis and Clark migration. nothing new.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM

559 posts, read 1,359,434 times
Could this be why California is 848 BILLION dollars in debt?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,373,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Salsa may not have its origins in "mainstream America" but its popularity in mainstream America cannot be denied.

Today Salsa is as American as apple pie.
Pssst....apple pie is British. Don't tell anyone.
There's a recipe for "tarte of appels" that goes back to the 14th century.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,968,347 times
Quote:
I didn't say that I don't eat it sometimes. It depends on which part of America you are talking about as to what is popular. In Arizona, it's probably Salsa Verde. In New England, it's probably maple syrup. In the Deep South, it's likely going to be BBQ sauce (of which there are dozens of kinds and styles such as mustard base, ketchup base, brown sugar base, vinegar base...) In Tarpon Springs FL, where there is a huge Greek population, it's going to be white yogurt dill Tziki sauce for gyros and cucumber salad. In New Orleans, it will be tabasco pepper vinegar or hot sauce. So there is nothing special about Mexican salsa and as I said is only prevelant in the southwest.
I had chips and salsa all over the US. Americans eat chips and salsa in every corner of this great land, From sea, to shining sea.

From the New York ilands, to the gulf stream waters, to the redwood forests, these chips and salsa was made for me and you.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times
Quote:
I didn't say that I don't eat it sometimes. It depends on which part of America you are talking about as to what is popular. In Arizona, it's probably Salsa Verde. In New England, it's probably maple syrup. In the Deep South, it's likely going to be BBQ sauce (of which there are dozens of kinds and styles such as mustard base, ketchup base, brown sugar base, vinegar base...) In Tarpon Springs FL, where there is a huge Greek population, it's going to be white yogurt dill Tziki sauce for gyros and cucumber salad. In New Orleans, it will be tabasco pepper vinegar or hot sauce. So there is nothing special about Mexican salsa and as I said is only prevelant in the southwest.
One of the coolest things about our country, and apparently something you either want to deny or ignore, is that our culture is an amalgam of cultures of the world. You can get all of those foods in any of our cities. We have such a rich tapestry of tastes. Most of us are thrilled to have choices and culinary experiences from around the world. Why are you such a stick in the mud about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies