Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:21 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,216,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
That simply was never going to happen either way.

So you're saying that peasants are expendable? At the expense of war games?
4 million soldiers invaded Russia, what did you expect Stalin to do , welcome them with open arms??

I'm against most wars, but your stance is extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,843,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Russia lost millions of both soldiers and civilians during their encounter with the Nazis and that deserves to be put into American text books, but we can't say the Soviets wanted to help fight the Nazis; they were forced into WWII just as the USA was.
But if it weren't for the organisation and backbone of steel of Stalin, then the Russians would not have been able to endure.

Therefore, credit must be given to Stalin.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,918,310 times
Only Lenin...he was teh bezt

I'm more of an Ayatollah Khomeini guy myself

Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
But if it weren't for the organisation and backbone of steel of Stalin, then the Russians would not have been able to endure.

I give credit to the millions of Russians who defended their nation.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
sorry, are you talking about the bombing of Vietnamese, Laotian and Cambodian villagers, by US planes?

I thought we were talking about something else.
Yes that and the slaughtering of East Timoor tribes

Plus 20 million Russians

A bunch of other people too

Old 07-05-2013, 01:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times
WWII probably wouldn't have turned out different in the end had Hitler defeated the USSR. The U. S. would have still won the war by directing it nukes against Germany.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:28 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,448,560 times
Quote:

I give Stalin credit just as you do, the millions lost in the encounter should never be forgotten. You also need to give credit to Hitler as well for such a dumbfound attack, the Nazis attacked perfectly at the wrong time; one should know not to fight in a Russian winter. If he would've directed his attacks on the Western Front and towards the UK, he could've won without a doubt but for the sheer fact that the Soviets had millions upon millions of people against the Nazis military and their willingness to destroy a factory or even town before the Nazis could get to it shows that the Soviets put a lot into that war and I salute that.

Think of it this way, the fought between the USSR and the Nazis was the largest military encounter in history.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
4 million soldiers invaded Russia, what did you expect Stalin to do , welcome them with open arms??

I'm against most wars, but your stance is extreme.
I'm never going to fault any leader for thwarting homeland invasion.

Even if Stalins war policy was confined to that (it wasnt) it doesn't fly in the face that the dude oppressed the hell out of his country and slaughtered millions of his civilians.

Im not going to cede to the conjecture that if it wasn't for Stalin that Hitler would have exterminated all Jews and ruled the world either.

Stalin was Hitler in a vacuum

Old 07-05-2013, 01:31 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,843,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
WWII probably wouldn't have turned out different in the end had Hitler defeated the USSR. The U. S. would have still won the war by directing it nukes against Germany.
not so sure about that, because Germany was not so far off developing its own nukes, and the defeat of Russia would most certainly have slowed down the Allied advance.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
not so sure about that, because Germany was not so far off developing its own nukes, and the defeat of Russia would most certainly have slowed down the Allied advance.
Actually the Germans were many years behind the US in the development of the atomic bomb.

Still doesn't diminish the fact that the Nazis surrendered to the Russians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies