Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Simple and to the point.

“I think first and foremost of the stable union of man and woman in marriage," he said. "This union is born of their love, as a sign and presence of God’s own love, and of the acknowledgment and acceptance of the goodness of sexual differentiation, whereby spouses can become one flesh (cf. Gen 2:24) and are enabled to give birth to a new life, a manifestation of the Creator’s goodness, wisdom and loving plan.

“Grounded in this love, a man and a woman can promise each other mutual love in a gesture which engages their entire lives and mirrors many features of faith. Faith also helps us to grasp in all its depth and richness the begetting of children, as a sign of the love of the Creator who entrusts us with the mystery of a new person.”

Cool story Pope. Too bad you don't know jack about love or relationships or raising kids because you've chosen to be single, celibate, childless and live in an all-male fraternity for your life.

Like having a nun running a sex advice column. Does not compute.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
People will probably care like vatican declaring that the universe revolved around the Earth until 1992.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
AND, it's the never-ending saga of a bunch of single men, who have no sex, no family, no marriage whatsoever telling other people how to live, and women how to raise their children and control their bodies.
Actually, this pope is pretty cool. Of course he opposes gay marriage, he runs the Catholic church. But I'd be willing to bet that if you and he hashed it out, he'd smile and say something nice but trite about us all being God's children. He wouldn't rant and rave about fetishes and perversion and how gay people should be treated as second class citizens like you get here, anyway. Nor do I believe he thinks his church's position should automatically be reflected in secular law. I mean, we're talking about a guy who took the bus to his job as Bishop of Somewhere and lived in an apartment with a roommate. If there was ever a man who is too humble to want to force people to live according to his beliefs rather than theirs, it's this guy.

The members of his flock who frequent this board would do well to learn from his example.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:04 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The Roman Catholic Church, chastened because of the world wide scandal involving sexual abuse by priests on children, has no moral authority to pontificate (pun intended) on the marriage equality that same sex couples desire.

No moral authority whatsoever.

Besides, civil marriage is a civil right.
Quote:
AND, it's the never-ending saga of a bunch of single men, who have no sex, no family, no marriage whatsoever telling other people how to live, and women how to raise their children and control their bodies.
Quote:
Cool story Pope. Too bad you don't know jack about love or relationships or raising kids because you've chosen to be single, celibate, childless and live in an all-male fraternity for your life.

Like having a nun running a sex advice column. Does not compute.
Agree with all of the above. The Catholic church lost it's moral authority a long, long time ago with their sordid history of pedophilia and high-level cover up. I know more than one loyal Catholic that left the religion for those reason. Not all religion - but Catholicism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Actually, this pope is pretty cool. Of course he opposes gay marriage, he runs the Catholic church. But I'd be willing to bet that if you and he hashed it out, he'd smile and say something nice but trite about us all being God's children. He wouldn't rant and rave about fetishes and perversion and how gay people should be treated as second class citizens like you get here, anyway. Nor do I believe he thinks his church's position should automatically be reflected in secular law. I mean, we're talking about a guy who took the bus to his job as Bishop of Somewhere and lived in an apartment with a roommate. If there was ever a man who is too humble to want to force people to live according to his beliefs rather than theirs, it's this guy.

The members of his flock who frequent this board would do well to learn from his example.
Good to know that he is a humble and, hopefully, thoughtful man.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-05-2013 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
True but their words inspire the actions of millions in this country who do decide the laws of the country. This is a good reaffirmation to fight your unholy agenda.
What's Frankie doing to fight the church's unholy agenda of protecting predator priests?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
I don't really care what a man in a dress and a diamond-studded fancy hat says.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
True but their words inspire the actions of millions in this country who do decide the laws of the country. This is a good reaffirmation to fight your unholy agenda.
Their form of "Love" also drives many out of the Catholic church or worse cause some who remain to live lives of self loathing.

The Pope can keep that form of Christian love. Hopefully someday the Pope will realize that the call to love your neighbor applies to everyone, not just the people the Pope approves of.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Why should I listen to the leader of a bastardized cult offshoot of my faith? The Pope is going to continue being wrong as long as he continues to tout a false messiah. This is no different.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
The Pope is being the Pope. And life site news is using what he said to advance their usual ultra-conservative Catholic agenda.

Shocking.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Pffffffffffftttttttt....

Oops, sorry... Beer and Mexican food... I really should cut down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies