Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,141 times

Advertisements

This past week, I experienced a mail carrier who decided not to finish her route and posted false information to make it look as though she did and a paper carrier who failed to deliver and did not come back to take care of the problem. Poor work ethic?

The problems got worse when, in both cases, the supervisors - while not actually excusing the workers - simply make it clear that this is how it is and the customer is expected to accept it without complaint.

Now I'm blaming the supervisors for not enforcing some rules until I found this:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/...#disqus_thread

So now where are we? No fault to the worker. No fault to the supervisor. Fault to the courts for such interpretations? How far can this go?

Is the fault with the customer for expecting to receive what he paid for? Is the fault with the worker or supervisor for not making it clear to the customer beforehand that he may not get what he bought? Is the fault with the legal interpreters who get their ideas from "goodness knows where"?

[/font]One editorial that I saw says "the work ethic is dead". But is it? Or do we just have a new and different work ethic. "I spent eight hours on your property. I deserve my pay check even if I didn't measure up."

Answers?

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-13-2014 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
i blame the americanthinker.com for not thinking hard enough

Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i blame the americanthinker.com for not thinking hard enough
It's not the americanthinker who is not thinking, it is the nitwits who read that garbage.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:15 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,280 times
Lazy people ... Everyone wants to get paid to NOT work , its pretty pathetic. You see grown adults that have families and are bitching and moaning about work lol . They need to do a better job of hiring people and making sure they do their job .

Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
People have been claiming work ethics have been declining, since forever.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
People have been claiming work ethics have been declining, since forever.
Maybe they have? Something has changed and that's for certain. There was a time that if you walked away from an unfinished job, you would not have had a job to come back to the next day. Now, if you are fired, you just go to court and claim some trumped up discrimination. Win or lose, that's expensive. So, employers feel their hands are tied. Or, some do anyway. Then, there are the groups who have tenure and that tenure limits what they can be fired for. I won't generalize but I do know one case where not doing her job was not grounds for firing. She could only be fired for breaking a law or immorality.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,163 times
There have been people complaining of "declining work effort" pretty much since there have been written records. Also, people playing games or listening to music older folks don't understand. Then taking that and overgeneralizing a single person to everyone else.

The American Stinker is just playing articles to folks who have nothing better to do than sit around reading their crap, about how other people are lazy. However, I think the irony is lost on those people.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 AM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
There are workers who are lazy and hide on the job... I saw this at a home depot recently in another area than my own.. so many workers around and no help to be found.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
We have moved from an orientation of doing what is in the best interest of the community/society to what is in the best interest of self. If you look at cultural history you will see this is one of the natural cycles in a nation's lifespan once it achieves powerful status and/or affluence for multigenerations.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
The American Stinker is just playing articles to folks who have nothing better to do than sit around reading their crap, about how other people are lazy. However, I think the irony is lost on those people.
As is the irony of such being written by someone who sits around reading and replying to forums on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies