Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Just curious, besides free mediocre healthcare and secondary education, what other freedoms are provided by the higher taxes?
And what in God's name is FREE healthcare? There's no such thing. The healthcare fairy doesn't come down and wave her magic wand, sprinkling free healthcare and glitter over the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:25 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I guess you don't have criminals in Canada and have no need to protect yourself and family. Good to know.
Well, if you want to get technical, the homicide rate in Canada is only about a third of the United States.

Homicides per 100,000 inhabitants, 2012:

Canada: 1.6
United States: 4.8

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

15.5% of Canadian households owned firearms in 2004-2005. 42.8% of American households own firearms. Also, it's nearly impossible in Canada to get a permit to carry. Draw your own conclusions, I guess.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:25 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The USA has better survival rates for SOME cancers, not all cancers. Cuba has one of the best survival rates for breast cancer. Canada does better than the USA in others.
But your statement is really sort of a misdirection. The original question here was (paraphrasing) "why don't we get the better medical care that is available in other countries?" The premise is that our medical care system is substandard. This premise was largely created by the commonly quoted statistic about life expectancy. Well, life expectancy is a really poor indicator of the quality of the medical care system because so many lifestyle factors such as typical diet, exercise patterns, prevelance of obesity and so forth play such a strong role in life expectancy. To carry it to an extreme, if you weigh 400 pounds, eat junk food and drink beer all day, and never exercise, no amount of outstanding medical care is going to give you a long life expectancy. The statistics about American's with respect to these factors indicate this is the real reason for our lower than stellar life expectancy.

Rather than using life expectancy, 5 year cancer survival rates are a better indicator of the quality of the medical care system. The reality is that the current medical system in the United States ranks towards the top of the list quite consistently with respect to cancer survival rates. Perhaps not # 1 across the board (although I've seen some data that does place us in first for most common cancers), but it's right up there with the best countries. There is nothing about this data that indicates we need a major overhaul of our medical system. Room for improvement, sure, that's almost always the case.

Another interesting statistic to look at might be average waiting time for insertion of a stent. I couldn't find a comparitive study, but I do know that my boss's brother, who lives in Canada, waited for over a year to have this done. Here in the U.S. you would typically be in and out of the hospital in a couple weeks, if not in fact a few days for this procedure. Anecdotal I know, but absent a full study I'll take this one instance as indicative.

So what is the basis for the assertion that our current medical care system is in fact substandard?

Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Well, if you want to get technical, the homicide rate in Canada is only about a third of the United States.

Homicides per 100,000 inhabitants, 2012:

Canada: 1.6
United States: 4.8

Source: List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So you don't need to protect yourself because your 2/3's less likely to be killed, got it. I'm sure the people that were murdered wish they had a gun to protect themselves.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
So you don't need to protect yourself because your 2/3's less likely to be killed, got it. I'm sure the people that were murdered wish they had a gun to protect themselves.
Or maybe Canadians choose not to live in fear.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:31 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Do you not have fire alarms, fire extinguishers, car/life/home insurance? Because if you have any of those, your just living in fear by your definition.

I would better describe it as preparing for a situation that you hope does not happen.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times
Quote:
People own guns in Canada, too.

They just dont hoard assault rifles and pray to jesus for a home invader.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
That has a lot to do with it. The news reporting in both countries is very, very different. I find American news is very fear-based.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:33 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Really? the US funds ALL of the world's medical research? I call BS.
Yes, that is total BS. Canada and Workpad have big pharmaceutical companies, and major research happens in all of the developed countries.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
People own guns in Canada, too.

They just dont hoard assault rifles and pray to jesus for a home invader.
Lol! I've actually seen some posters hoping for an altercation so they could shoot some scum. Git 'er done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies