Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,480,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That's great now why won't Costco open a store in these impoverished areas of DC and spread its altruistic benevolence on the downtrodden?
Costco does have a store in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Per the US Census near 80% of people living in poverty have at least one vehicle.
So it's not "many" but "some" don't have a vehicle.

Another "illusion" of poverty shattered by US Census data.
That's US Census was a nationwide figure. The topic is DC. In rural poverty America, private vehicle is the only means of transportation, so they are forced to get that 30 year old Chevy. DC, as NY, has a mass transportation system and most city dwellers have no need for a car.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's US Census was a nationwide figure. The topic is DC. In rural poverty America, private vehicle is the only means of transportation, so they are forced to get that 30 year old Chevy. DC, as NY, has a mass transportation system and most city dwellers have no need for a car.
Well the Census bureau didn't have breakdowns of rural vs urban.
Where did you get your data from ? Or is that your opinion ?

When the issue is about the rural poor we hear that they don't have vehicles.
When the issue is about the urban poor then they don't have vehicles.

Make up your mind. 80% of the poor have AT LEAST one car.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
I hope WalMart follows through with their ... "threat".

Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,480,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I hope WalMart follows through with their ... "threat".
Walmart has no stores in DC. They do have 3 under construction and 3 more planned.

"As a result, Barron said, the company “will not pursue†stores at three locations where construction has yet to begin — two in Ward 7 and one in Ward 5. He added that the legislation, if passed, will also jeopardize the three stores underway, pending a review of the “financial and legal implications.†While precise terms of its agreements with developers are not known, the company’s leases could be difficult to break without major financial penalties."

Old 07-13-2013, 12:23 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,553,619 times
The only thing the urban black political class knows how to do is extortion.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:56 PM

17,445 posts, read 9,283,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The gentrifying yuppies don't want to have to rent their Toyota Prius Zip Cars and hoof it to Maryland and Virginia. They want to be cool and walk to Whole Foods it shows their cool hood has arrived.
I don't believe there is a lot of gentrification in ward 4 or 7. The "cool" kids use the excuse of "cool" stores to fool themselves while they do the work of the Unions. Some of them are fully aware they do the bidding of Unions.

I have a friend who lived near Georgia Ave - not a particularly good area of town in Ward 4, but the rent was pretty cheap. I asked about "safety" .... "Do you have gun shots in your neighborhood?" answer - "Yes, but not on my street". This same person protested for a year against a Wal-Mart on that long abandoned property - the best reason (other than I hate Wal-Mart) was that they "hoped" for a better corridor of commerce .... they wanted fancy stores and fancy restaurants. In an area that was served by a few Korean markets with a substantial elderly population.

Same situation with the Skyland project East of the Anacosta River in Ward 7 .... the Council member, Mayor and citizens have been trying to get the project off the ground for 20 years. They were going to break ground next year, they've spent Millions on the land, permits, plans, demolition ..... that's down the drain if Wal-Mart pulls out.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:48 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,770,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I can't define a living wage but I define a minimum wage, which should be the amount if one is working full-time to cross the eligibility requirement for SNAP. It is inconceivable to me that one can work full-time at WalMArt and have the taxpayer's subsidize WalMart's puny wages with SNAP and Medicaid.
And if they have 12 children should their minimum wage be raised?

Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,770,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I hope Walmart pulls out of the area! The stupid lefties think they are always 'owed' something. If you want more money, get a better job. Don't cry and blame and shame.
Even if the bill does not get signed in to law I am sure it passing has done tremendous damage but that's OK, what's important is D.C. council feels like they protected their citizens by staying unemployed and no new sources of produce and fresh meat.

If the law doesn't get signed then maybe WalMart can open the three stores but keep the other three as bargaining chips. But anyone considering a move in to the area will think twice and there's no way to reverse that.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 PM

76 posts, read 106,348 times
Why can't DC buy cheap Chinese stuff at Target and feel like they are liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies