Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 05:12 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

I could be wrong but I read sarcasm into the previous post, i.e. I read a into the post to which you replied with a .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 05:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I guess you've never worked or still in college....

Their unemployment rate is lower because their industries are not strangled by tree hugger regulations like American companies....

Along with the higher wages comes higher income taxes.....

Income tax in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They also pay VAT taxes (amongst many others)

Higher wage = getting back to 1980 personal spending levels

Australia also has superannuation; in this country we have so-so annuation, under the label of Social Security.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:32 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Many people think that prices will rise sky-high if minimum wage is raised but it is not that true. Some people say that burger will cost 10 dollars but thats not true. McDonalds Quarter pounder is equivalent of 4.25 US dollars. In US I think it should be 3.70 dollars. Not that huge difference but so many people have more money because minimum wage is almost double then that of US. They have National Health Care and Public Transportation also.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:59 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Many people think that prices will rise sky-high if minimum wage is raised but it is not that true. Some people say that burger will cost 10 dollars but thats not true. McDonalds Quarter pounder is equivalent of 4.25 US dollars. In US I think it should be 3.70 dollars. Not that huge difference but so many people have more money because minimum wage is almost double then that of US. They have National Health Care and Public Transportation also.
Prices in Australia are sky high! Without the large subsidies available to the Australian poor there is no way to survive on min wage there.

Public transportation is limited to Sydney and isn't nearly as comprehensive as Chicago, Boston, or NYC, so you will need a car.

Jeans are about twice as much.
The average rent is $1404/month.
Petrol is more, but their cars get more mpg so that might be a wash.
Food is more.
Etc, etc, etc.

It's better to be poor in Aus than the USA, but that is because of the transfer payments not because of the min wage.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I have to chuckle at the usual "America love it or leave it" crowd here. Whenever anyone dare even imply that another country might be doing something better, they can only say "when are you leaving" or some other snarky comment or insult of that other place. sSo sad really. Truth is America sucks, and has sucked for a while, and will only continue to suck unless people open their eyes and their minds, which is a tall order for most americans. Yes I moved and love it here in Australia!! I can't imagine living anywhere else-and yes I enlisted to serve America when I became 18

"America love it or leave it" translation: "I'd better shut these people up or everyone will realize what a mess Republican policies have made of the U.S."

Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And they have universal healthcare, much lower cost of higher education, and a very business-friendly environment. All while being a very diverse nation.

What is Australia doing right that we are doing so wrong?
They are an island and WAY out there....they don't have a Mexico problem

Old 07-27-2013, 05:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus loves you View Post
Australia raised their minimum wage to AUD 16.37 (U.S. $15) recently, and their unemployment rate is only 5.7%. Australian's also have business-friendly environment, weeks of paid vacation, national healthcare & they work less.

U.S. current minimum wage is $7.25 (Some states slightly higher) with 7.6% unemployment rate.

Isn't it time to raise the U.S. minimum wage? It is very low for 2013!

Higher wage = More $ to spend.

No, prices wouldn't necessary go up. Perhaps maybe slightly smaller paycheck for multimillionaire and billionaire CEO's?
They're not as "exceptional" as we are.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,792 times
America is turning into 3rd world nation.... Time for me to apply for Canada citizenship.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:20 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And they have universal healthcare, much lower cost of higher education, and a very business-friendly environment. All while being a very diverse nation.

What is Australia doing right that we are doing so wrong?
NObama

Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
They're not as "exceptional" as we are.
Their currency actually has something backing it. Unlike the US dollar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...-standard.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies