Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 AM

376 posts, read 295,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Isn't it fair? The 4th of July is an older celebration that the abolishment of institutional racism. So shouldn't we forget about 1776?

There's a difference between "remembering it" and "getting over it". We need to do both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Aw come on. You know how many times blacks bring up their slave legacy, many respond my saying that slavery was long ago. "Get over it"
I dont to seem to hear black folk complaining about slavery as much as I hear others saying they should just "get over it".

maybe 10x more are complining that black folk should get over it...

Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Isn't it fair? The 4th of July is an older celebration that the abolishment of institutional racism. So shouldn't we forget about 1776?
It really wasn't that long ago slavery ended. I guess it would depend on your age. It ended 96 years before I was born, 35 years before my grandfather was born.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
The Romans used to own a lot of slaves... nobody whines about it... a lot of people remember it... which is what happens when you "get over it"...

Old 07-12-2013, 12:05 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The Romans used to own a lot of slaves... nobody whines about it... a lot of people remember it... which is what happens when you "get over it"...
Although, it was a different kind of slavery...

Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It really wasn't that long ago slavery ended. I guess it would depend on your age. It ended 96 years before I was born, 35 years before my grandfather was born.

It's a good chance that my great grandparents had grandparents who were slaves.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
When did we care about anything the "romans" did. the French, Spanish, english, and Portuguese all were slave owners...and settled the Americas. The Romans did not.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:09 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Some say we should forget about slavery as it was a long time ago, but why should we not forget about July 1776?
I'm confused ..... we celebrate our Declaration of Independence from the British.
Are you suggesting that we "celebrate" slavery?

We don't "forget" about either period in our history - of course, there are those that no longer believe in our Constitution of what it stands for. I believe they are in the minority, but they certainly are loud about it.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Nobody claims that anyone should just "forget" about slavery. You can remember something and not use it as a crutch or as an excuse for every bad thing that happens in your life. It's completely possible to remember slavery and not believe that your skin color is the reason the white lady in the grocery store parking lot stole your parking spot.
absolutely right!! we dont forget slavery because we dont want to go back to a time when some were considered property rather than free men. but that doesnt mean that those who have a history of being slaves in the past should use that as an excuse to slack off and not achieve the goals they want to achieve.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:14 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Aw come on. You know how many times blacks bring up their slave legacy, many respond my saying that slavery was long ago. "Get over it"
"Get over it"

Dosen't mean forget it. It means, Stop Blaming all of your problems on slavery when you were Never A Slave!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies