Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:16 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I happen to disagree with you on this one: liberals are much more inclined to label anyone who has a single conservative view conservative than the other way around. Most moderates, if they are Democrats are not labels leftist. The are considered moderates, which is what they are and the way it should be.
And I happen to disagree with you, so I guess it all depends on your personal perspective... in other words, we all see things through different eyes.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
really, then why are so many of us called rwnjs because we are conservative on some issues and middle of the road on others. Some people (usually the libs) think if a person is right to life, or anti gay marriage for instance, they have to be evangelical cut cases. If we are in favor of Obamacare we want all the poor people to go without medical insurance and again we must be to the right of right.
Same reason I've seen actual Republicans get called "*******s" just because they support gay marriage or another "leftist" cause, I suppose... and the same reason people like OhioRules argue with someone's personal identity, even when they've only shared a couple of views.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And I happen to disagree with you, so I guess it all depends on your personal perspective... in other words, we all see things through different eyes.
Of course we do and that is what makes debating, as long as it is done without name calling or bashing, so much fun and often, if we keep our ears and eyes open we can learn something.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,381,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I've been called both a left-wing nut and a right-wing nut, sometimes by the same people.

Based on the characteristics you mention in the OP, I agree that your closest designation would be moderate conservative with libertarian tendencies.
What stance of his hers was conservative besides not liking Obama care? Pro 2nd Amendment doesn't clarify much. Many liberals are pro 2nd Amendment, they just think it needs to be heavily regulated.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Leftists are crazy.

They lack the ability to forsee the consequences of their policies, or in some cases, they're so crazy, they desire negative consequences.

They're dangerous predators, as the only way they can win converts is via propagandizing the young, and using their support.
Is this what passes for "tolerance" (as defined by a conservative) and accepting differing views? Oh wait, I guess you guys never claim to be open-minded... so carry on, I guess.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:23 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,218,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
What stance of his hers was conservative besides not liking Obama care? Pro 2nd Amendment doesn't clarify much. Many liberals are pro 2nd Amendment, they just think it needs to be heavily regulated.
Yeah, the OP seems more liberal than conservative.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Of course we do and that is what makes debating, as long as it is done without name calling or bashing, so much fun and often, if we keep our ears and eyes open we can learn something.
Yes, and that should go both ways... unfortunately it's only the mud-slinging that goes both ways, even though some try to claim it's one side or the other doing the bashing. I try to refrain myself, but sometimes it's hard not to throw the mud back at someone.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:40 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,517,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post

Again, where do you get this crap?? Really.... If you are a libertarian, why do you listen to RW media lies, and accept them at face value? Off-the-wall statements like this indicate that you are listening to propaganda and are part of the RW Fox News bubble.
It's rather simple. The left has been trying to get the government to recognize same-sex marriage. That means the left is for more government involvement in marriage, not less.

And when was the last time a left-leaning politician that supported the legalization of drugs was elected to national office? When was the last time Democrats made any type of effort to legalize all drugs? The left is not for legalizing drugs or they would at least try and legalize them.

And how do you know what I listen to?

And I'm not a libertarian.

You are one of these people that judge politicians by perception while I judge them by what they do.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,517,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What part of "I want the government OUT of that stuff too" and "I want drugs legalized" did you fail to comprehend? I said exactly what you're claiming are libertarian beliefs, but I'm not libertarian? Wow, you make zero sense.

Now seriously, stop telling me what I am... or I'll start telling you what I think you are, and trust me, that won't be a nice list. And btw, the left does want drugs legalized - it's usually the righties who oppose it, although even they're getting on board with legalization now.
What part of you supporting the government recognition of same-sex marriage means you want government out of marriage? You want more government involvement in marriage, not less.

When was the last time a Democrat campaigned on the legalization of drugs? When was the last time there was a serious effort by Democrats in Congress to legalize it?

For the first 2 years of the Obama Administration we had a Democratic President, Senate and House. Why didn't they legalize drugs at that time? Can't blame Republicans. They had no power to stop it.

A self-respecting libertarian wants the government out of marriage and drugs. Not more of it like Democrats and Republicans.

You're a Democrat. No shame in that, just might as well admit it.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:53 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,945,172 times
Quote:
really, then why are so many of us called rwnjs because we are conservative on some issues and middle of the road on others. Some people (usually the libs) think if a person is right to life, or anti gay marriage for instance, they have to be evangelical cut cases. If we are in favor of Obamacare we want all the poor people to go without medical insurance and again we must be to the right of right.
Here it is - it's a mirror. Conservatives have been labelling "the left" for 35 years and this is just a little blowback. Cons love to dish it out, but suddenly they're being "abused" because there are other voices calling them out.
Your RW heroes, Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Savage, Levin, Medved, umpteen others, have been pigeonholing "libs", "the left", "democrats", for years, with not a complaint from cons - pretty nice little bubble eh? So much for your sudden concern over "fairness". Now looking in the mirror ain't so pretty, so you have to cry about being treated "unfairly".
Too bad, the new reality is that you'll just have to get used to receiving some blowback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies