Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:27 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times

Advertisements

For those that cite science, please watch these films and note all the world-class scientists voicing their warnings about GMO. Particularly, Dr. David Suzuki a world renowned geneticist and zoologist. Pay close attention to BT toxins and the way they extrude into the water supplies via the roots of the crops and trees.

Does anyone remember these ads?

I was 13 years old when DDT was banned, after nearly 80 years of them saying it was safe, but they lied. GMO, Trans-Genetics, and Round-Up ready crops are the DDT mistake being repeated on a scale that can never be cleaned up.

Monsanto, Dupont, Phillip Morris, ConAgra, Unilever, Mead Johnson, Quaker, General Mills,
Aurora Foods, Interstate Bakeries, Kellogg, Keebler, Nestle, Hershey, Heinz, Procter and Gamble
are spending billions to cover up and protect themselves the coming flood of law suits.

FAP section 735 (The Monsanto Protection Act)
PolitiFact reported that Karen Batra, the spokeswoman for the Biotech Industry Organization, said, "The language in Section 735 codifies existing USDA authority and elements of a 2010 Supreme Court ruling that lower courts should not automatically prohibit the planting of biotech crop varieties, or the harvest and sale of biotech crops already planted, if/when their commercial use is temporarily banned because of a lawsuit.

Farmer Assurance Provision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In other words, even if a crop is deemed harmful, farmers can/must continue planting, and Big Agra can continue doing business as usual until the law suits have had a chance to play out. In other other words, they will not be held accountable, while in the meantime holding every lawsuit up in the courts forever.

This should be questioned by anyone.

Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) is pushing to introduce an amendment to an upcoming farm bill that would overturn protections that allow Monsanto and other producers of genetically modified food and seeds to continue growing food a court has deemed potentially hazardous.

Read more: Senator seeks to overturn so-called Monsanto Protection Act - NY Daily News

Even snopes is mixed on the truth.
snopes.com: Monsanto Protection Act

And farmers are losing their farms to Monsanto and Dupont:
Monsanto wins lawsuit against Indiana soybean farmer | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Evil Monsanto Aggressively Sues Farmers for Saving Seeds | Alternet

and some have discovered a way to fight back:
GMO Wheat Lawsuit: Idaho Farmers Sue Monsanto

Monsanto sued by Kansas farmer over GMO wheat discovery that

But the cherry on top... Hugh Grant - CEO of Monsanto, blames us.

Charles Benbrook, a research professor at Washington State University’s Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources, told Bloomberg, “Most of the people that become motivated to engage the political issues have become convinced that going down the road of genetically engineered foods is not the way to meet the needs of a food insecure population.”

According to Grant, those critics aren’t giving his company’s take on the situation the light of day.

Monsanto CEO trashes company?s opponents over ?elitism? ? RT USA

One of the most used phrases/threats by Monsanto agents is that "Nobody goes against Monsanto and survives" which seems to represent the companies "take on the situation" just fine.

If we're lucky Monsanto will go bankrupt cleaning up the mess they've created.

Last edited by steven_h; 07-12-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 08:46 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
GMO is where all the flavor is. I'll keep buying food with them.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Watch just the first video and you'll find it's far more than just about you. Watch the original Soylent Green, and think about the rarity of a tree, or a piece of fruit. That is the pandoras box they've opened.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Succinct articulation is not your strong point. Do I get college credit if I watch the video, read the text and not blow my brains out?

Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Succinct articulation is not your strong point. Do I get college credit if I watch the video, read the text and not blow my brains out?
Was this about me, or GMOs? It's hardly a subject that can be compressed in a sardine can sized post.

Watch the videos with the intention of actually ingesting the information. Ignore my long-winded post that took a rather long time to compile, if you must. As long as you watch the first video - feel free to print it out, take it to your prof, and tell him you demand credit for putting up with me.

If you should somehow manage to refrain from blowing your brains out, which I'm sure might be impossible, I expect it would qualify as extra credit

Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 PM

742 posts, read 678,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Oh, wow. For your sake I hope that is sarcasm. if not please review thet good information provided by the OP, as also for your own sake!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM

A great question is, if "GMOs are safe" why are they spending billions (YES BILLIONS) to keep from having to label them? I'd think that if they (GMOs) are so great, they'd be eager to broadcast the fact.

Sometimes the truth is right in front of us.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:26 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Economist Jeffrey Sachs, who thinks Monsanto GMO crops are the greatest thing since sliced bread, heads up a project at the UN aimed at selling developing countries worldwide on these crops as a solution to poverty. He lobbied to get appointed to head of the World Bank last year, but it didn't work out, fortunately. Still, it's alarming that he's convinced the UN that GMO crops are the way to go. In India, GMO crops have proven to cause more poverty, with farmers losing their land (which sometimes is later bought by Monsanto) after the GMO crops fail, rather than alleviate it.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:27 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Was this about me, or GMOs? It's hardly a subject that can be compressed in a sardine can sized post.

Watch the videos with the intention of actually ingesting the information. Ignore my long-winded post that took a rather long time to compile, if you must. As long as you watch the first video - feel free to print it out, take it to your prof, and tell him you demand credit for putting up with me.

If you should somehow manage to refrain from blowing your brains out, which I'm sure might be impossible, I expect it would qualify as extra credit
I'm just looking at it from a persuasive standpoint. Who's your audience? What's your goal?

The thread subject shows bias and then the contents are overwhelming to "prove" it. Skeptics aren't likely to sit through all of that because they think your mind is made up but your goal is to change theirs.

If true education is the goal, I'd stick with byte size morsals. Though I may be cynical after the last few weeks here

Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Oh my, the Monsanto shills are here.

Anyone defending GMO's either has zero education or is getting paid to support poison .

what a surprise. (not).

Newsflash: you too will someday have medical issues, and dont be surprised when its caused by certain foods in the US. At least in U.K. they are petitioning to block cancer causing Round -up weed killer/aka Monsanto.

Roundup is a systemic pesticide, meaning it’s taken up inside of the plant. It winds up in nonorganic food, particularly processed foods, at levels that many toxicologists say could cause harm to humans.
More from Rodale.com: Farmer’s Market Favorites Under Attack
In the study, researchers fed rats GMO corn or gave them water laced with Roundup at levels allowed in the United States. Compared to the control group, exposed rats developed significantly more mammary tumors and suffered organ damage, and 20% of the males and 50% of females died early. Previous studies linked GMOs—which have been infiltrating the US food system since the 1990s—to allergies and digestive disease.
Surveys have shown that labeling GMOs earns broad bipartisan support among voters. Regardless of political party, about 90% of the population believes GMOs should be labeled. Currently, the only ways to know if your food is GMO- and pesticide-free is to buy organic food.

See How You Can Stand Up Against GMOs.)

Animal Study Links GMOs To Cancer - Prevention.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies