Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 06:18 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm an old boomer.

I suppose when most folks get old, they like to gripe and grouse about the young folks. It's probably been that way forever. But after teaching in large public high schools for the past 20 years, I'll just say that I think the future is in good hands. Grumpy old farts aside, today's kids are better informed and more open minded than we were back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 06:40 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestown123 View Post
You sound awfully angry at a large group of people who are better than you..... maybe if you didn't act like a child you would get somewhere in life

Just a thought....

Sent from my alpha iphone with time machine capabilities...
I am doing quite fine in life, thanks. I have a full time job, a college education, good friends and family, and I even have a decent amount of money saved up.

I really like to defend my generation from the rants of boomers though. Their lives were so much easier than ours yet they are now wanting to gripe about us in their old age?

Old 07-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, I don't think they can even fathom growing up without iPhones and XBox's and feel deprived if they can't have a video game as soon as it's released.

The work ethic is what's missing in many cases. Previous generations thought nothing of working a summer job, helping to bale and bring in hay, mow a lawn. This generation would gasp at even the suggestion they do any of that.
Funny. Me, my brother, and every one of my millennial cousins had to do those things. Do you even know any mellinnials?

Old 07-14-2013, 06:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I am doing quite fine in life, thanks. I have a full time job, a college education, good friends and family, and I even have a decent amount of money saved up.

I really like to defend my generation from the rants of boomers though. Their lives were so much easier than ours yet they are now wanting to gripe about us in their old age?
You can't possibly know that since you didn't exist. Just like I can't really say that my life was harder than my parent's or grandparent's life. I didn't live their life, I didn't see any of it first hand.

Can you even imagine how difficult life must have been when people had no cell phones or video games to play? No computers much less internet. There was a time when everyone didn't have refrigerated air conditioning. Imagine temperatures over 80 and no air conditioner to turn on.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Yes, I don't think they can even fathom growing up without iPhones and XBox's and feel deprived if they can't have a video game as soon as it's released.

The work ethic is what's missing in many cases. Previous generations thought nothing of working a summer job, helping to bale and bring in hay, mow a lawn. This generation would gasp at even the suggestion they do any of that.
Umm can most millennials even find summer jobs these days? Also, I live in the city. I see no hay here, hell a lot of people don't even have lawns here.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Millennials are different because many, if not most of them grew up in affluent homes where their parents bought them everything their hearts desired. They had the nicest clothes, the newest video game systems when they came out, and their car of choice when they turned 16. Most of that was bought on credit. Millennials are going to have to come to realization that the real world works differently than how they grew up. Unemployment is high among this generation but it isn't all because of the economy. Many college educated Millennials are underemployed or unemployed by choice. Go to any coffee shop in Portland and see. The priorities of this generation are different than the 80s yuppies. This generation is more like the '60s hippies, except with iPhones and from more privileged homes.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Umm can most millennials even find summer jobs these days? Also, I live in the city. I see no hay here, hell a lot of people don't even have lawns here.
Sure they can if they weren't so arrogant about the kind of work they can do.

Why is it that millions of illegals can come here not speaking a word of English and have no education of any kind yet have zero trouble finding plenty of jobs?

Americans have now become so lazy they envision a nation where most everyone is cared for by the government, has more than enough food stamps -- can even dine out in restaurants on food stamps, has unlimited health care provided by tax dollars and all the work is done by cheap labor immigrants. Only those Americans who can earn a big six figure salary might consider working for their living.

That's not doable really. In fact it's pretty messed up.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
I was just in ak
I saw some of the best 19 year olds I have ever seen running trains hotels and food service
They come from all over america and they all got a plan usually vocational and military with short term realistic goals
Not one of them planning to go to school for the next 20 years while deciding what they want to be when they grow up
They are grownup
Hats off to the ak kids

Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Sure they can if they weren't so arrogant about the kind of work they can do.

Why is it that millions of illegals can come here not speaking a word of English and have no education of any kind yet have zero trouble finding plenty of jobs?

Americans have now become so lazy they envision a nation where most everyone is cared for by the government, has more than enough food stamps -- can even dine out in restaurants on food stamps, has unlimited health care provided by tax dollars and all the work is done by cheap labor immigrants. Only those Americans who can earn a big six figure salary might consider working for their living.

That's not doable really. In fact it's pretty messed up.
Because they are willing to work for wages and conditions and are not knowledgeable enough to demand better.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Millennials are different because many, if not most of them grew up in affluent homes where their parents bought them everything their hearts desired. They had the nicest clothes, the newest video game systems when they came out, and their car of choice when they turned 16. Most of that was bought on credit. Millennials are going to have to come to realization that the real world works differently than how they grew up. Unemployment is high among this generation but it isn't all because of the economy. Many college educated Millennials are underemployed or unemployed by choice. Go to any coffee shop in Portland and see. The priorities of this generation are different than the 80s yuppies. This generation is more like the '60s hippies, except with iPhones and from more privileged homes.
Certainly not most of them. Not even many of us grew up in affluent families. Affluent people are the least likely to have children in this world. How could most millennials come from affluent families?

What about the 20% of us that were born to immigrant parents, which tend to be less affluent? What about the enormous percentage of millennials that grew up in broken homes, which tend to be less affluent? Our parents had a 50% divorce rate you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies