Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Let me help you. The greatness of the US is not Solely about being a great place to live, and it is the greatest place to live.

But it is also about what the US has done for all humanity. Our commerce has created products and services, inventions and medicines that have helped people across the globe. Our concept of justice and liberty have helped many a million people throw off yokes of oppression, and sometimes, we had to help them with blood, and tears, and flesh and bullets and torpedoes, but we defeated evil that would have consumed the world, and did it more than once.

The USA is the greatest source of good, Universe-wide.
you my friend are delusional, keep believing in your utterly blind nationalism, we are not the best country AND OUR meddling in with other countries governments has made a HUGE mess of things. We are not kingmakers and our "spreading" of democracy is failed yet the neo-cons keep doing it not out of good or the wanting to spread democracy but to enrich the already wealthy people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The Constitution which is timeless.
absolutely!!! this country is always going to move forward given the opportunity, but by the same token we also have to remember that our government has a framework that it is based on, and it has worked quite well through the decades despite what the progressives and anti constitutionalists try.

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I'd like to go back to the days when American Bandstand came out of Philadelphia.

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I think the "ending slavery" thing would have been enough.
No, ending slavery was not a foreign idea to Jefferson (and many others), it's the age of Enlightenment after all, the items on my list were simply unthinkable as of 1787.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 PM

287 posts, read 593,752 times
I would go back to the 1770s when men were men and we actually stood for something. Today its all about me me me. And the democrats always have their hands in all the workers' pockets.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:36 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
"Manifest Destiny" refers to the belief that the US had the God-given right to conquer the entire continent all the way to the Pacific Ocean. It was hardly an unmixed blessing for the people who got displaced in the process.
It does appear that the post I was responding to was a global version of what you have elaborated on concerning Manifest Destiny. Perhaps when Manifest Destiny goes Global it become Nationalism. In any case, there is a faction that firmly believe in that and still feel's we are in those times.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
I would go back to the 1770s when men were men and we actually stood for something. Today its all about me me me. And the democrats always have their hands in all the workers' pockets.
How would you have handled the foppish wigs and skin tight pants with codpieces that all men wore unless they were slaves?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
An why? I still can't figure out what you all are trying to preserve.
The 1930's-50's. economy was strong, there weren't any disgusting dirty hippy liberals to be had, mom and dad in every home, etc...

greatest generation. America is a FUBARED mess now and pales in comparison.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
How about the Bill of Rights? This isn't a conservative or liberal question.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Our government has taken upon itself to ignore the people, and impose social engineering as it sees fit; not by consent, but through deceit and deception. The almighty dollar generated through crony capitalism, offering nothing of value, and vote getting, has replaced honest representation.

This is not a conservative or liberal issue, this is a human issue.
Lol! Even a foreigner such as myself knows that's from the Declaration of Independence, not the Bill of Rights.
For shame!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Had only Jefferson knew that Constitution would be used to legalize (we'll get there) gay marriage, abortions, institute corporate personhood, control agricultural production, ensure unlimited campaign donations, etc., etc. he would have committed suicide after poisoning all the members of the Constitutional Convention.
Historical note from someone who lives within a walking distance from where Jefferson lived for a time and the place where the Constitution was written and debated:

Dr. Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson successfully pulled the strings to get Baron Von Steuben to come to the colonies to help organize the Continental Army so that we could win our revolutionary war. Von Steuben was in a dire legal situation and on the run from authorities because of his homosexual affairs and was being charged with "sodomy." Both Franklin and Jefferson knew the Baron was gay, but being intellectuals of the Era of Enlightenment, they didn't care - they just knew he was a brilliant general and a superb soldier. Of course our understanding and concepts of LGBT civil rights issues were unknown in the 18th Century, nonetheless Von Steuben and his boyfriend (excuse me "aide-de-camp") came over and helped us win the war. A grateful young nation presented the Baron with a house and farm where he and his boyfriend lived happily ever after. I think old Ben and Tom knew more about their gay friends than you are willing to give them credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies