Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 08:29 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Run if possible, scream if not, go to the nearest home and bang on the door. Anything but what Treyvon did.
What is so hard about common sense? You DON'T confront someone you don't know unless there's no other choice.
Then why couldn't Zimmerman follow this advice? I mean he was the adult in the situation.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:32 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I teach my children to respect the law and anyone in authority. For days I have been avoiding saying this because I did not want to hurt Martin's family but seeing you ask what you should tell your boys, I think it needs to be said.

Martin distrusted the ________white cracker because of what he had been taught. Prejudice is not automatically in a person, it is taught to them. Unfortunately his distrust of the white man got him killed. If he had just gone home when he had a chance he would still be here. This is the elephant in the room that no one wants to admit but it is the truth and should be acknowledged.

For those of you that want to attack me for saying that. Go for it. It will change nothing and you have learned nothing from this situation. Education is what is needed instead of law changes and marches that cause more unrest. Sometimes one needs to realize they are the ones that need to change.

"Righteously indignant" is an ego thing. Feed your ego at home and not on the street at night. That will get anyone of any color killed most of the time. The only person any of us can change is ourselves.
It must be so easy to be white...

Old 07-20-2013, 08:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Thank you. I wish people would get that straight. GZ didn't claim SYG. SYG matters when you have an opportunity to retreat. GZ was ON the ground being pulverized. It was simply self-defense.
When you shoot someone who is beating you, it is self defense. The jury figured that out. I wish the public would. This is clear cut self defense. TM had no reason to attack GZ. TM was never in danger...until he threw the first punch...then all bets were off. TM started the fatal altercation.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
"As a parent, particularly a parent of black teenage boys, I am left with the question, “Now, what do I tell my boys?”

We used to say not to run in public because that might be seen as suspicious, like they’d stolen something. But according to Zimmerman, Martin drew his suspicion at least in part because he was walking too slowly.

So what do I tell my boys now? At what precise pace should a black man walk to avoid suspicion?

And can they ever stop walking away, or running away, and simply stand their ground? Can they become righteously indignant without being fatally wounded?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/op..._20130716&_r=0
Does being righteously indignant include the right to attack and beat someone??

TM had the right to be indignant. He did not have the right to attack GZ.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 AM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
A great article by Charles Blow in the NYTimes about how the legal system failed Trayvon Martin.

"The system began to fail Martin long before that night.

The system failed him when Florida’s self-defense laws were written, allowing an aggressor to claim self-defense in the middle of an altercation — and to use deadly force in that defense — with no culpability for his role in the events that led to that point. Trayvon could have had a perfectly good reason for walking around in the rain and if he wanted to express his frustration with George Zimmerman, he could have said "Why are you following me, man!" Instead, he chose to violently attack him and it was obvious that his intention was to kill him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/op..._20130716&_r=0
Another left winger lying...George Zimmerman was not the aggressor, Trayvon Martin was and George Zimmerman had a right to take his life when Trayvon punched him down and started beating him into the concrete. Do yourself a favor and get your facts straight.

Last edited by D-Towner; 07-20-2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 08:36 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
It must be so easy to be white...
My nephew who's in the Pen would disagree with you.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Does being righteously indignant include the right to attack and beat someone??

TM had the right to be indignant. He did not have the right to attack GZ.
Might depend on whether Zimmie's flashlight was turned on, or off, and its movement.

According to Zimmie, his flashlight took on a life of its own.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:47 AM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Might depend on whether Zimmie's flashlight was turned on, or off, and its movement.

According to Zimmie, his flashlight took on a life of its own.
What are you talking about? Zimmie? Can you state any facts or just write nicknames? Justice was served.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:49 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
This entire thing is just nonsense. The real victims are the citizens of Florida; wasted public tax dollars on a case that should have never went to court.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:49 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Then why couldn't Zimmerman follow this advice? I mean he was the adult in the situation.
If Trayvon would have gotten off of him I am sure George would have run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies