Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 10:11 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times

Advertisements

My hunch is that the Insurance co. settled to avoid the media coverage that would have been focused on any civil trial they would have had. It wasn't really about culpability or liability. It was more about "Here, just go away and keep our name out of it"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 10:14 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
No, you're absolutely wrong about my "confidence" evaporating. Who do you think you are, the ultimate judge and mind reader of everybody? You would do well to stop making ridiculous ASSumptions. Indeed, I still have confidence in the system and our method of selecting jurors.

I am very well aware of many NOT GUILTY people being convicted. The most obvious of those wrongful convictions being many inmates who have been exonerated and released from death rows across the country. Have you ever heard of the Innocence Project? In fact, in death cases, people who are against the death penalty are NOT allowed on the jury.

In all cases, the talent, skills, and experience of the attorneys involved have a lot to do with what kind of jury is selected. In this case, OBVIOUSLY the State sucked. The first place I consider they made a huge mistake was NOT asking for a change of venue or a change of venire for this case. The horrible job done by the State in this case has not in the least destroyed my confidence in the justice system nor in the jury selection process.

I might remind you that you were incorrect in your consistent insistence that the jury would find Z guilty in order to punish him. Does that destroy your confidence in your ability to predict the future?
I underestimated the jury's willingness to follow the law. Turns out they did. Good for them.

Your wrongful conviction/DNA meme is in whodunits, not cases like this where we and the jury know whodunit.

Could be they got it wrong. maybe gz swung at tm, missed, tm defended himself by punching gz, gz stumbled, got the injuries hitting the ground, pulled his gun, blahblahblah, maybemaybemaybe.

The state did not have the evidence to prove the case. Now people like you blame the correct legal verdict on a rotten prosecutor, a dominatrix stealth juror who controlled 3 submissive women. I'm even seeing knuckleheads blaming Nelson for pro-defense bias.

Anything except gz was Not Guilty.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:14 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So?
That's it? So? LOL

Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Actually if they dont find any of the proposed jury members acceptable, they can ask for a list poll of them to continue to choose. They very much did choose who was on the jury
They cannot remove anyone they want in fact 2 jurors the prosecution wanted eliminated ended up being seated. Maybe you can argue they used their elimination powers wrong but they didn't choose their jury.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Actually if they dont find any of the proposed jury members acceptable, they can ask for a list poll of them to continue to choose. They very much did choose who was on the jury
WTH is a "list poll"? In what state? And who is "they" in your statement "if they don't find any..." Remember, this is a FELONY criminal case in Florida. Not civil. Not misdemeanor.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
My hunch is that the Insurance co. settled to avoid the media coverage that would have been focused on any civil trial they would have had. It wasn't really about culpability or liability. It was more about "Here, just go away and keep our name out of it"
Yup and that maybe the only dime they see from all of it. In seeing Crump these few days I think he was hoping for a bigger payoff. He looks defeated, good.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
Man, the public pressure has already gotten to B37. She released another statement stressing she has so much sympathy for the Martin's and the laws were the issue. Id still love to know if she knows more about Trayvon than was shown at trial, now that shes able to use the internet. I bet not.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
No, just B37. Claimed she doesn't listen to news because it's biased and only uses newspapers to line the bird cage, but jumped on the first plane to get interviewed (paid?) by Anderson Cooper and had a book deal announced shortly after the trial. I've dealt with literary agents and it's a long drawn out process to get an agreement. She's too eager to monetize the opportunity and too quick to blame the victim. The other jurors said it was a tough decision based on the law.
Exactly that: "a tough decision based on the law" but gosh golly what decision did they ALL eventually reach? Oh my goodness!

To suggest that one itty-bitty lady held a gun to their heads and forced compliance by them to affect an outcome satisfactory to her would be what again, as defined by Webster's?

How would the outcome have changed her ability to cash in in any marignal way? So therefore, why would it have been a motivation by her to influence those others in either direction?

No faith in your jury system at all? Those others were all, to a man, er, woman completely pliable in their interpretation of the evidence presented?

They're distancing themselves from her obviously trying to capitalize on being a member of that jury, NOT from the results and therefore your last para of your O/P is disingenuous to say the least.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 AM

331 posts, read 254,006 times
Simply put, that is what happens when you select a dumb juror. B37 was proud of announcing, during jury selection, that she does not read newspapers nor does she watch any news. When you're not curious about anything, that usually mean's you're not smart. Whatever beliefs and views she has, she's not open to expanding her knowledge base.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I underestimated the jury's willingness to follow the law. Turns out they did. Good for them.

Your wrongful conviction/DNA meme is in whodunits, not cases like this where we and the jury know whodunit.

Could be they got it wrong. maybe gz swung at tm, missed, tm defended himself by punching gz, gz stumbled, got the injuries hitting the ground, pulled his gun, blahblahblah, maybemaybemaybe.

The state did not have the evidence to prove the case. Now people like you blame the correct legal verdict on a rotten prosecutor, a dominatrix stealth juror who controlled 3 submissive women. I'm even seeing knuckleheads blaming Nelson for pro-defense bias.

Anything except gz was Not Guilty.
Trayvon died, Zimmie lied, the jury buyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies