Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

I guess my goldfish bowl just got bigger. I realize we already live in a goldfish bowl so I do what I want and ignore the watching voyeurs.

This just means hiding crime, philandering or subversion got more difficult. Maybe they will watch closely enough to see if you have a “secret” compartment in your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Anybody sign up for one of those spying devices Progressive insurance puts in your car? They(Progressive) say it will save you money on your insurance, but I am sure you will be logged if speeding. What if you live in a relatively safe area and are paying lower rates but they find you regularly drive in areas that are unsafe and have higher rates?

Now, just imagine if all the insurance companies could have access to information such as the above. It's been my experience with insurance companies that whenever they have to opportunity to raise your rates they do it, but when your situation changes to where you should be paying lower rates they never seem to go back to where they should be.

Just point out one possible consequence to the data being collected and stored.
From what I've read it only goes on your car for a fixed period ( 2 weeks? ) and the way the article presented it mostly measured things like mashing the brake/gas pedals rather than driving smoothly and speeds, made it sound like if you kept cool for a coupla weeks you actually could save some $$$ on insurance.

And there are already ECUs in cars functioning like the 'black boxes' in airliners. I know for a fact if you happen to catch the wrong gear when downshifting your M3 and spit a connecting rod out of the block BMW will happily tell you NO, NOT a warranty issue. And no, wasn't me.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They have been around for a long time, i don't drive a stolen car so i dont see the point in whining.
If license plate readers proliferate (which is happening), law enforcement can track your whereabouts. There is no reason for law enforcement to do that unless you are a legitimate suspect in a crime. License plate tracking would be less precise than GPS, but it can report on where you are.

Mr. Invincible - why is your car at the liquor store so often? Your car is at the gun store frequently. Why?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Seems fitting that the liberal, communist, America-hating ACLU would be involved in these types of shenanigans.
What are you talking about? You seem to be reading-challenged.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
except tracking cars with GPS is putting a tracker on a car.

A license plate reader is just using information available to the public.
I really doubt I would be allowed to gather this information.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Last time I looked.......Car registrations were PUBLIC information. Any body have a secret license plate on their car ? A plate that isn't registered with the state DMV ? Just asking.......

The level of paranoia in the USA is a constant source of wonderment to me.

Jim b

Toronto.
Same goes for me concerning the interest from those in other countries concerning what we do or care about here.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A good friend of mine just got his stolen car back in 1 day. This method was mentioned as to how it was found.
Which could be done without tracking everyone. You input the stolen number and it the camera gets a hit it goes off. If not it simply continues to scan without recording everyone's number.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
I'm tired of hearing about this stuff, but I'm pretty
sure uncle sam has been spying on us forever.

dirtbags.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How much damage are they doing to me personally by having my data stored in a computer?
You don't get it. You're assuming that the government has your best interests at heart (they don't), that they won't prosecute or persecute you without just cause (wrong), and that we're not enthusiastically assisting our own government to build a tyrant's toolbox.

This database is but one tool in the tyrant toolbox. The toolbox already has lots of other tools in it.

All we need now is a tyrant.

Let's hope we don't get one.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I figure the Republicans already have a Tyrant in Training in the form of some high level corporate CEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies