Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 05:46 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times

Advertisements

I am sure that Charles Barkley is not the only black person who feels this way. I agree with him in that according to how the evidence was presented to the jurors and how the law is written, then Zimmerman would have been found not guilty by any juror.

I need to say this too. Trayvon didn't know what Zimmerman's intentions were when Zimmerman was following him. Yes, Trayvon probably should have gone straight home to let his father deal with Zimmerman following him or better yet Trayvon probably should have asked Zimmerman why was he following him and allowed Zimmerman to explain what his reasons were for following Trayvon. But that didn't happen and so now we are discussing this tragic incident.

Wasn't Zimmerman recorded by the 911 operator saying that these guys think that they can get away? So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that Zimmerman was showing bias toward Trayvon (whether or not he fully realized that was what he was doing), and the fact that he automatically ASSUMED that Trayvon COULD have been one of the same black guys burglarizing his neighborhood. This is why I don't understand how some people think that race isn't a big factor here.

The fact of the matter too is that Trayvon was innocently walking back to his father's house from the store with a bag of Skittles. Zimmerman didn't know who Trayvon was, didn't recognize him as living in the neighborhood, and, unfortunately, Zimmerman ASSUMED that Trayvon was probably up to no good because it was dark, it was raining, and why was this black male walking in the neighborhood in the rain in the first place?

Even laying all of this fully out, unfortunately, the law says that Zimmerman had the right to follow Trayvon because he became reasonable suspicious of Trayvon walking through his neighborhood even though Trayvon was not literally committing a crime or was one of the black males who was described by witnesses to have committed any type of crime in the neighborhood.

The problem that I have with this is the fact that even though Zimmerman had the right to follow Trayvon. Trayvon also had to the right to protect himself if he also ASSUMED that Zimmerman was up to no good and was going to attack, molest, or rob him as well. This is why I am bothered by some who think that Trayvon was a thug who got what he deserved for confronting Zimmerman.

To me, Zimmerman's self defense claim was justified, but Trayvon's possible confronting Zimmerman was justified as well. It's just tragic that Trayvon lost his life over Zimmerman's in ability to just let this boy walk home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies