Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,958 times

Advertisements

I was reading a post earlier on a thread that slips my mind, but essentially people were saying certain city economies stay afloat because of defense spending and bases. Well what would you all think of closing just about all foreign bases, and opening more in the USA to actually protect us? To a degree it 'might' boost the economy of cities that aren't doing that well. The only reason I propose this for is because our military budget will never face the reductions I deem feasible, therefore if we must spend that $700 billion annually, lets at least spend $650 billion of that domestically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Protect us from what? We have the DHS, FBI, NSA and many other alphabet entities that are tasked to do that very thing The national guard can't even be used here unless the governor calls them up. So exactly what would they be protecting unless you want them to implement martial law so as to protect us all.

We currently have the federal reserve printing up 80 billion a month and handing it over to the banks. Why not dole that money out to "prop up" the states? Oh hell then the crooks wouldn't be able to collect interest or invest that money in taxpayer backed investment schemes so that will never happen.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Protect us from what? We have the DHS, FBI, NSA and many other alphabet entities that are tasked to do that very thing

You can't cut out the Financial Terrorists that live on Wall Street and DC's source of funding.
Murdering people around the world is big bucks $$$$$$

Old 07-20-2013, 12:48 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
What a great idea the OP has, open a few Marine and Army bases in and around Detroit, new money will flow in and crime will drop radically...

Old 07-20-2013, 12:54 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What a great idea the OP has, open a few Marine and Army bases in and around Detroit, new money will flow in and crime will drop radically...
Sure. And we can keep up the same wall street government policies and watch the detroit effect happen to the rest of the country.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:54 AM

Seems like my thread has been hijacked, but anyways, I'm just looking for way to benefit depressed city economics with our existing budget. I'm not positive if the military has its own construction workers, or would new construction jobs come along with opening new bases but nonethless there would be an increase in jobs in each area. My idea maybe radical, but nonethless the military could build more bases domestically in certain cities to benefit their economies more.

Conservatives love the military, why should it be kept abroad as often as it is when it could be benefitting us back at home a bit more, that's all I'm really saying. If we had it my way, the military budget would probably be at $400 billion annually, while finding ways to spend the $300 billion that would create PERMANENT jobs or at least benefit our economy in the long run. Maybe a few Manhattan Projects but in a more positive scope, working with the private sector to create more nuclear facilities and green energy options, building new highways specifically designed to link ports as opposed to highways to nowhere, and etc. I just want our existing budget to be spent a bit wiser, we honestly need a "Efficiency Movement" because with a budget approaching $4 trillion annually, our economy should be booming.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUChief's Bleached Taint View Post
Sorry, but we go where our biatch KUChief25 goes.

I agree with the idea to base more troops in the US, but we are due for another round of base closures, not building.

A lot of the construction and engineering trades have been dropped to keep rifles to the front now. It would mostly have to be subcontracted out, we don't even have much in the way of supply troops anymore, that privatized.
LOL; understandable, are you one of the people who posts those threads saying "Good Afternoon Politics ~ KUChief"?

And thank you for agreeing with the idea, surprisingly enough I'm not too fond of more bases but I'd rather new bases be created domestically as opposed to abroad. We need to find a way to push our economy, we need to fuel home sales, we need more consumer spending, we need higher GDP growth, and etc and with our troops being all over the world, they are missing the ability to put what's needed into our economy. Imagine about 170,000 troops benefiting the US economy domestically, that would be far better than having them benefit other countries. Now I'm not suggesting all foreign bases close simply because I don't know the duty of all bases, but nonethless certain bases abroad really aren't needed.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUChief's Bleached Taint View Post
Yeppers. That's us.

Have a good night.
LOL, ok. Yeah have a good night as well, I should be getting to bed as well.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:29 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Sure. And we can keep up the same wall street government policies and watch the detroit effect happen to the rest of the country.
Wall street and government policies had nothing to do with Detroit's demise....

Stupid city officials, greedy unions and a city population that refuses to vote out the politicians who feed, house and clothe them are...

Old 07-20-2013, 07:12 AM

744 posts, read 1,092,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Yup. Military bases and federal government spending is the sole reason certain red states like Texas and South Carolina are staying afloat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies